Quick Post

Cutting Horse Futurity Age

Cutting Horse Futurity Age
  • I am pushing for the NCHA to change the age of our futurity horses.
    There are so many horses hurt for months and some retired due to injury.
    The numbers are horrific. There is way too much money added in
    the 3y.o's for the horse to have a fair chance. One trainer said,
    "Once the added money went over 50,000, the race was on"
    He said it a little differently, but that's the just.
    Horses used to last, for a long time now they are treated as disposable.
    Our breeding practices and treatment of our young athletes really needs
    to change, today. To save our use of the horse tomorrow.
  • I really like what you're saying.  I know nothing about the western disciplines but you can see what racing at an early age can do to T'breds and Stb's are raced until they are 12 or 13 - that's tough, too.  Anyway, I hope things get better.  God bless and tell us what part of Texas you're in.  I miss Harper. [':)']
  • [quote=hunterseat]

I really like what you're saying.  I know nothing about the western disciplines but you can see what racing at an early age can do to T'breds and Stb's are raced until they are 12 or 13 - that's tough, too.  Anyway, I hope things get better.  God bless and tell us what part of Texas you're in.  I miss Harper. [':)']

Thank you, I plan to keep speaking out until it's changed or put to a vote for the members.
    (North Texas)
  • mailto:ColoState@Edu' target='_blank' title='http://forum.horse.comColoState@Edu'>mailto:ColoState@Edu'>ColoState@Edu
    Subj: RE: National Cutting Horse Association

I do not have the firsthand experience to make specific recommendations for cutting horses.  However, I will state some general principles about problems I am concerned about.  One of the most serious animal welfare concerns for many species is what I call "Biological System Overload."  An animal is pushed past its biological limits and it breaks down. Biological system overload may occur if horses are pushed into performing before their bones are mature.  In pigs and chickens, serious leg problems and lameness have been caused by indiscriminant genetic selection for lots of meat production.
    Sincerely,
    Temple Grandin
  • [H2]Hock Problems and Age [/H2] by: Heather Smith Thomas
    July 01 2009, Article # 14463  
    Horses can suffer hock problems at any age. Scott McClure, DVM, PhD, Dipl. ACVS, an assistant professor in the Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences at Iowa State University, points out that some horses develop juvenile spavin as foals. "This may have to do with how mature the bones were when the horse was born," he explains. Stress of weight bearing on immature bones might create damage and bony changes at a young age.

During heavy training, inflammation will occur and recur and the young horse may require repeated joint injections. "You see this in some older horses as well, if they are used strenuously," notes McClure. "You see some mature horses with beautiful hock joints, but typically the ones that are used heavily will start to develop inflammation at a young age. Others, you may not see it until their teenage years.

"You see some young ones with ugly hocks, some with good hocks, old horses with bad hocks, and some with good hocks," he summarized. "Problems can crop up anywhere across the board, but they are more apt to occur in young ones being used heavily in events like cutting, reining, or roping, where they use their rear end a lot. The other group where you see sore hocks is horses in their teenage years, used in any sport."

• Ok where to start, where to start.
    Ok first. Why are you just going at cutting? reining is just as bad on the horses, and racing is worse.
    Second, The futurity age wouldn't matter if it was 3 or 4 for the winning side/ money. All the people would still compete in them. There are taking unshown horses VS. unshown horse and that is what futuritys are. So that would stay the same. BUT here is where the problems are.
    1. The trainers are going to start the horses at 2 anyway so the horses will be better. And will have had more training before they show. (same problems long term)
    2. $$$$$$$$$$$ Showing is about money. Now the owners are going to have to "feed the horse another year" before she even start paying for themself if they are good, or sold if they are not. More money in training dollars.
    3. It is the way it has been. And that is the hardest thing to change. People dont like change period.

Yeah changing it would be better for the horses, but not everyone is about the horses.
    matt
  • This all started when my colt's sires owner contacted me, along with another trainer. They wanted to know why my colt wasn't out there, he need to get started now in a full program. Yadda Yadda Yadda.
    He was not even 2 at the time. So this has started with cutting, but I have been contacted by the others for help. So those are planned for the future as well.
    The age does matter, they have one more year of growth. Plus would have more lay off time and hopefully less stress.
    It has already changed, it was not like this years ago. The money has changed it. Move the money into the 7 & Ups.

Your right not everyone cares enough about the ride. Hopefully enough will to get this changed.
  • [quote=Cuttin74]

It has already changed, it was not like this years ago. The money has changed it. Move the money into the 7 & Ups.

Ok they are going to start them at the same age, just not show them as early, It will be just as bad on the horses. Maybe worse. (the horses who are rejects will be in training longer.)
    And putting the money in the 7 & ups is worthless. Who would do that. The whole point of the big money is putting unshown horses VS unshown horses. When they are that old they have been shown.
    matt
  • OK i have to ask. How old are your cutting horses, How old where they started?Will you buy a great cutter if it was started early?
    matt
  • They can start them when ever they want , just like now.
    But they can not have shown prior to the big fut.
    The rejects may never be left in training if they now more about how they are going to develop because they are older and more mature. They have a chance at another career.
    Some of the best watching ever by cutters and the public is the older seasoned horses.
    Would you rather watch a tricycle race or Harleys?
  •  
    No , unless I knew the who what & where I would not buy a show horse today. Too many hidden things to come out later.

• [quote=Cuttin74]
    Would you rather watch a tricycle race or Harleys?

I would much rather watch the futuritys horses, then the seasoned horse. They may not be as good but they have never been shown before that the is the thrill of it.
    Ill admit im not a cutter, cant afford it. I buy the cutting rejects for team penning and sorting though.
    matt
  • Oh, okay.

What you might want to do, is your own research on the difference between welfare & rights. Its' huge!

• How are you thinking about trying to changed someone as big as the futuritys. If someone is going to try changing this then why not try to outlaw eating veil? Or maybe eating eggs is bad your killing the baby chicken.
    matt

• [quote=Cuttin74]
    Oh, okay.
    What you might want to do, is your own research on the difference between welfare & rights. Its' huge!

I know the difference. But horses are LIVESTOCK, it seems like people forget that. With some people futuritys and riding is how they make there money. They take care of there horses but use them hard. There is always more horses. And you forget they are THERE HORSES to do with them how they want as long as they are healthy.

Ok now lets talk about welfare of the animals. Slaughter. Whoever had the idea to close that didnt give a **** about welfare of horses. They are sitting in there little sheltered world. Now there way more horses, and with this economy  not everyone can afford to take care of them, so they just let them sit, or go to rescues where they are running out of room and  money. Now there is no money in the horse market so it isn't worth even taking them to the market if it is "just a horse" bloodline wise. So how was closing the slaughters good for the welfare.

matt