Quick Post

Got Any Jelly Recipies?

Got Any Jelly Recipies?
  • I have recently gotten into making jellies and canning.

I am looking for recipies for prickly pear jelly, but if you have any other recipies for jellies please share them too!!!

There is a local children's hospital here that has a yearly auction to raise money at the local sale yard.  I'm planning on making a couple baskets of homade jellies but want to try something new.

Thanks!!
  • Hmm... I don't do jellies. I try to avoid canning if I can. [8|] 
    It is probably a wise idea though with the state of affairs...to have a full pantry.
    I think I had a freezer jelly recipe, I'll look.  
    I know you are suppose to stir jams and jellies with a wooden spoon never a metal one. 

• I tried it for the first time last year.  I tried 2 batches of prickly pear jelly and they both were a flop.[:'(]

I got a book with a couple of new recipies and as soon as the pears are ripe I hope to try them.  I was successful with a vanilla pear with honey jelly.  It was delicious!  I didn't know about the wooden spoon!  I used a plastic, but I didn't know not to use metal.   I'll keep that in mind.

Right now we have a TINY kitchen.  We designed the new home to have a huge pantry.  And I do intend on filling it with my home made canned goods! [':)']
  • I make s'mores with chocolate and marshmallow and grahams yummy.
    ======================
    Earl Nunes
  • I love smores!  Actually, I love anything with chocolate. 
    But I don't think I can successfully can smores...can I?[8|]
  • Cranberry pepper jelly 

2 cups fresh cranberries 
    7 cups sugar
    11?/2 cups apple cider vinegar 
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice 
    1 cup finely diced fresh jalapeno or serrano 
    1 pouch of liquid Certo 

Directions: 
    Put the whole cranberries in the food processor and pulse a few times until roughly chopped. 

Place the sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, peppers and chopped cranberries in a large pot and bring to a boil. (Make sure you use a large enough pot. A small soup&nbsp';p'ot would work great. If your pot is too small it will boil over.) 

Boil for exactly 5 minutes, stirring occasionally with a whisk. Remove from heat and quickly stir in Certo. 

Bring back to a boil and boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Pour mixture evenly into 4 sterilized 12-ounce jars. Let the jelly cool completely in the jars, then close and refrigerate. 

"(I simply refrigerate the jelly and use it within a month. If you want to keep it longer, you will need to make sure you properly sterilize and seal the jars according to jarring methods.)" 
    =========================== 
    Earl Nunes 
  • Thanks!  Sounds yummy!  I'm in S. Texas, so this recipie is going to be a big hit!