Quick Post

Horse tripped and fell.

Horse tripped and fell.
  • I was helping a friend of mine ride her horse for the first time at the new barn....where I board my horse. 

I had her walking her horse while riding around the arena...western saddle...same as she's used to.  Rider is a beginner, but has been taking riding classes.

After about 10 minutes, I told her to have her horse walk over a pole on the ground....two, three times all is good.  Then placed three poles down space 6 feet apart and she was walking over these well as well...two, three times around....then the horse trips on one of the poles, kinda like a lazy action not lifting her foot over the pole....goes down on one knee, then the other knee and my friend decides to take the superman jump off the right side of the horse, and lands on one of the poles around her waist area.....

Mind you that this was all done at a slow walk and it was like watching it in slow motion.

I would like to learn from this.  Can any of you give me some suggestions on what might have happened and how to avoid this again?  I had been asking for a more brisk walk instead of a slow walk.

Also, should I tell the rider to keep the horses head up just a big above parallel with the ground? 

I did tell my friend that she might have wanted to hold on to the saddle horn instead of deciding to jump off....or fly off in this case.  Myself I always react to hold on, instead of bail off.  Can you teach that to someone?  I think the horse could have picked herself up even with the rider remaining on her back.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

Eric
  • Sounds unusual for a horse to fall like that unless she's about to fall asleep, which is possible.  You must have a soothing voice. [':D']
    Honestly, are her hooves in good shape?  If they are too long they can do alot of tripping.
    I was taught early on to catch a horse's head with the reins if they start to fall but people here have told me other wise.  Still, it's my reaction to do that.  Since you're doing a nice easy walk, it's a good time to teach emergency dismounts NOT to be accomplished in a flying superman position. [':D']  Sounds like the rider might have panicked.
  • Colts will sometimes trip, and relatively green horses who have spent most of their lives on level ground. Which is why I like to raise colts on rocky, hilly pastures.

My first thought with something like this is either eye problems, navicular or nerve damage.

Staying on a horse going down is okay if the movement is slow enough and it's not falling overbackwards or sideways...but kick your feet out of the stirrups and get them up out of the way so you can get off if you need to.
    This is actually a situation where it might be a good idea to lunge or lead the horse at different gaits over the poles, and see what happens. If he learns to pick up his feet all's good. If he keeps tripping, something's up.
  • That's a great idea.  I will lunge the horse at a walk, then trot over the poles to see what happens before putting the rider back on.  This horse is a beauty at 6 years old, and has been lightly ridden for a while now....totally relaxed and broke.  I think the feet a just a tad long...going on 5 or 6 weeks since last trim.

I had thought the horse was just a bit too relaxed when tripping over the pole, and the rider should have just leaned back and held on.  I believe the horse would have picked herself up.

There is really no reason to have walked over the poles, but the plan is to do lot's of trail riding, so I thought the poles would be a good idea and add something to the arena work.

I just feel terrible that the horse fell on this new rider....we were so excited to get going and head out on the trails.  I just have to figure out a way to build confidence in the rider. 

other ideas please feel free
  • ...going on 5 or 6 weeks since last trim.

That doesn't sound like too much time!! 
    I hope you get it figured out!
  • Having a horse stumble is potentially dangerous and it is natural to try and pick the horse up and stay with them.  Sometimes all is good.

A friend of my daughter and I, who I traded horses with to get my mare was riding her 4 yo and the last anyone in the arena saw was her begin to collect the mare.  A minute later, they looked and she was on the ground non-responsive - not breathing.  She had evidently went headfirst into the ground resulting in severe brain swelling and continuous seizures.  She was on life support and in a drug induced coma for six days before the family made the decision to turn off the machines.

Ten days after our friend passed, I almost pulled my mare over sideways in an attempt to stay on and when I did fall, the mare was still staggering sideways and ended up stepping on my leg.  It was an accident that could have caused serious injury as the mare passed over the top of me, but I walked away. 

There are lots of ways to get hurt around horses that stumble or rear or buck or spook.   I just want to remind everyone to be careful.

• Hi,

I too would first & foremost rule out that there is a physical problem, such as long toes that caused the fall. 5-6 weeks is generally a reasonable trim schedule for most horses. So she's probably not that overdue, but likely due. Also depends on her feet & the trim job the farrier does. A horse can have overlong toes the day she was trimmed, as many farriers don't understand what to do with stretched or flared feet. Learn about the principles that affect hoof function & form, so you(& your friend) can make informed decisions about when & how to get the horse's feet trimmed & which professionals may be actually worth paying for the job. hoofrehab.com is one great place to start learning.

Also consider saddle fit, girth tightness, your friend's balance, whether she's got the horse on a tight rein & trying to 'micromanage' the horse, etc. I would always check the horse out on the ground first, even for simple things such as this, to ensure she can do what is wanted without a rider first. When something like that happens I too agree with giving the horse her head & hanging onto something like the horn to stay put, but being ready to jump if it looked like the horse were to fall on me. Obviously that may be asking a bit much of a beginner, so if she feels the need (or can't help her reflexes';)' & needs to jump off, fine.
  • [quote=CrookedPostQH]

Having a horse stumble is potentially dangerous and it is natural to try and pick the horse up and stay with them.  Sometimes all is good.

A friend of my daughter and I, who I traded horses with to get my mare was riding her 4 yo and the last anyone in the arena saw was her begin to collect the mare.  A minute later, they looked and she was on the ground non-responsive - not breathing.  She had evidently went headfirst into the ground resulting in severe brain swelling and continuous seizures.  She was on life support and in a drug induced coma for six days before the family made the decision to turn off the machines.

Ten days after our friend passed, I almost pulled my mare over sideways in an attempt to stay on and when I did fall, the mare was still staggering sideways and ended up stepping on my leg.  It was an accident that could have caused serious injury as the mare passed over the top of me, but I walked away. 

There are lots of ways to get hurt around horses that stumble or rear or buck or spook.   I just want to remind everyone to be careful.

I find it hard to believe that a normal, healthy  horse who is past 6 weeks of trim will go down going over a pole on the ground, or even two or three.

Like I said, lunge the horse, put some poles out there, and put it through its paces going both ways and see what happens. If it continues to stumble and/or fall, there's something going on. It's not a matter of long toes. If a horse reacts that strongly to long toes, it's not safe on the trail at any rate.

If you have the option, and many don't, and you can put it out to pasture on steep rocky hills where it has to learn to keep its feet under it, do it for a few months, then try it again. Riderless, lunge, with poles. See what happens.

That's the ideal, not realistic for most, but if it's an option, I'd go for it.
  • thanks and I agree that lunging the horse over the poles should have been done.  I am not sure of the horses previous training, and may never have walked over poles.

The rider was in balance and just to reiterate, that the horse was walking over a pole, kicked it with it's left toe first, then fell down on that knee, then the other knee.

My gut tells me that the horse was not paying attention and was too relaxed when walking over the poles.

I can visualize the left toe of the horse kicking the pole and instead of catching it's balance, it just folded at the knee.  DANG!  Couldn't believe it!

Thanks....will get lounging as our next exercise.  I think it will be a good ground lesson with the rider and also help build up some confidence. 

Rider called me last night and is ready to get back on!

Yaaaaay and Phew!

Eric
  • I think I'd lunge the horse riderless first.
  • I think I'd lunge the horse riderless first.

Yes...totally agree. 

Thank you all for your comments ':)'

Eric
  • Sounds like the horse wasn't paying attention, was plodding around unbalanced (too much weight on the forehand).  My big colt went down on his knees with me once on trail when he stumbled on a rut, then caught his other toe on another rut when he tried to catch himself.

You might want to have someone who really knows about horses and balance watch this horse move.  I had a 4 yr. gelding, very big and unbalanced go down with me all the way and I stayed with him.  He rolled over my leg, pinned my toes up against my shin with his weight, crushed my foot and ankle.......  While I was in rehab, I had him go to a very experienced trainer who worked to get him more balanced, really helped with stumbling and such.
  • [quote=sdcfish]

thanks and I agree that lunging the horse over the poles should have been done.  I am not sure of the horses previous training, and may never have walked over poles.

The rider was in balance and just to reiterate, that the horse was walking over a pole, kicked it with it's left toe first, then fell down on that knee, then the other knee.

My gut tells me that the horse was not paying attention and was too relaxed when walking over the poles.

I can visualize the left toe of the horse kicking the pole and instead of catching it's balance, it just folded at the knee.  DANG!  Couldn't believe it!

Thanks....will get lounging as our next exercise.  I think it will be a good ground lesson with the rider and also help build up some confidence. 

Rider called me last night and is ready to get back on!

Yaaaaay and Phew!

Eric

A horse, even a colt, should have its feet under it and be able to catch itself from a simple stumble.

I'm leery of horses that go down over small obstacles. I can see a colt doing it once, maybe twice. But after that no, I'm not interested in them.

Horses raised on completely flat ground are not catty on their feet, however, which is why I'm very seldom interested in young horses who have never spent time on rocky hills.
  • Still waiting for farrier to come (this coming Friday) to trim this horses feet.  Three or four weeks too long in my opinion, but horse is happily enjoying pasture her new home in pasture with 25 other horses and has settled in nicely.

Rain is headed our way, so don't expect to be riding much over the next week....but will keep everyone updated on the progress once the trim has been done.

Thanks for keeping in touch!