Quick Post

i can't lunge my horse!he runs me over!

i can't lunge my horse!he runs me over!
  • i have a 6 year old male Qaurter horse/thoughobred.i had him for 5 years and never did i have this problem!:   when i try lunging him he runs me over!i tried with and without using a lunging whip,but there's no difference in behaivor!so far i've been trying to teach him to keep out of my space,would that help?i have noo idea how to get rascal to lunge around me, without a problem,rather than lunge over me.please help,if can!          Thanks!
  • so far i've been trying to teach him to keep out of my space,would that help?

I think you're on the right track with THIS one!  Do you have a training stick you can use which is like a lunge whip, but it's a firmer stick with a string as a whip.  Not as long?  I hope you're careful!  Do you have a round pen?  If so, I'd say take the lunge line off and let that rascal run a bit!  Don't be afraid to correct him sternly when he's in your space!  That's dangerous! I'm not sure where trainer101 is these days (where are ya trainer?) but she has great ideas!  So does HGpaints!  I'm not a trainer but....  Do you use a rope halter?  I like those best.  They really pay attention to them.
  • I'm here, I'm here, just took me a while.  Been gone on a much needed weekend ride.  Clear my head among other things...

Ok when you are lounging him where are you?  Out in the open, round pen, arena or where?  Does he throw his shoulder into you or just comes straight at you?  If you are lounging him near the barn does he dive into you when you ask him to move away from the barn and then is fine or pulls you toward the barn?  PM me and I can give you a better idea of how to approach this but some more info would be great!

But with what you told us so far Hunter is right.  Get ahold of a stick and string and a good rope halter and lead.  I highly recomend Clinton Andersons halter and lead lines, they have a wonderful feel and weight to work with.   By far the best I have tried (tried many over the years).  If you can borrow a round pen or have one about 50 feet, 40 is too small and 60 you really have to hustle to correct them.

Take the halter off to begin with and use the stick and string.  What I do is tie a plastic bag like a walmart bag to the end of the string.  What that will do is get his attention  because it moves and makes a noise.  when you lounge him it doesn't matter where he is to you.  Don't worry about getting around to his hindquarters, his shoulder or anything like that.  If you put the pressure on he will move away no matter where you are in respect to him.  If he wanders off to look over the fence at his buddys in the pasture then fine, if he stands there staring at you then fine, either way when you start flipping that bag he needs to move away.  He might bolt around the pen or just keep moving in circles facing you.  If he bolts let him run around as hard and fast as he deems he should and just let the bag rest on the ground and give it a light flick every now and then till he slows down then watch his body he'll tell you when he is ready to pay attention.  ONly thing is don't let him stop before you say to.  If he does then have him move another lap then ask again.  If he doesn't stop then he needs to move some more.   If he stands and looks at you then flip it towards his head and neck and shoulder till he takes a step away then stop to let him know that is what you are looking for.  Do it again asking for a few more steps.  When you are ready then ask him again and this time when he steps away flip it at his belly or hindquarters to drive him forward.

Hope this helps a little.  Give me a holler and I'll try to help if I can.
  • I agree that Clinton Anderson has a rational way to "speak" to a horse that does not respect your space. 

I have a link to a site that makes the same quality (same exact materials) as Clinton's training stick, halter and leads for a much lower cost.  She also has great color choices and will make halters to custom fit your horse's head or a custom length lead.  My mare is too large and pushy for Clinton's 14 foot lead and I had a 20 foot made to keep myself away from her rear hoofs. 

I will send the website link via a PM. 
    Good luck and stay safe.
    Kary
  • I have just stared my 7 year old again in ground training since she is VERY!! disrespectful. I have used the training stick and a clinton anderston training rope halter. I have used clinton andersons training method and she is a totaly different horse and she actually respects my space.
  • Kary I just signed up for this forum and noticed your message about a web site with training whips equal to Clint Andersons tools. I am an avid fan of Clint Anderson and would love to have that web site sent to me at [email=linnd2000@hotmail.com]linnd2000@hotmail.com[/email] Thanks.
  • [quote=crazy]

i have a 6 year old male Qaurter horse/thoughobred.i had him for 5 years and never did i have this problem!:   when i try lunging him he runs me over!i tried with and without using a lunging whip,but there's no difference in behaivor!so far i've been trying to teach him to keep out of my space,would that help?i have noo idea how to get rascal to lunge around me, without a problem,rather than lunge over me.please help,if can!          Thanks!

If you're good with your hands, driving reins help with this problem.  That way you can steer him out if he comes in at you.  Sometimes it's hard to have a stick in the right place to do a correction, it makes me a little nervous to have a horse trying to run me over ':)'.  Long-lines (driving reins) are awesome, they also help get a little more out of your lunging.

2 lunge lines will work in a pinch, make sure you have a circingle on at least at first to avoid getting the lines all tangled up.
  • First of all Trainer 101 is right on track, his idea's are very simple yet direct.  You have got to show your horse who the boss is here, and it aint him!  Consistancy is also a very important key in my book, work him everyday, the same way until he gets it.  Let him act a fool and run, run, run as long as it is under your direction and out of your space.  Him being close to you is dangerous and could cause injury not only to you but to him as well.  The only other suggestion that i have is maybe using a heavy lunge line in the beginning and stay at his shoulder at around a 40 degree angle ( even when only working in a round pen), do it out in the open where he has no bouderies for except the line, and make him work off of ot and your commands.  I had this problem with a gelding that I had and this worked for me in the beginning, then we moved into the pen, still on the line then off of it.  He eventually, got it, stayed out of my space and then we went to work with ease.  Again, I feel consistancy is the key to any training so keep at it and he will get it, don't let him win!!  Good luck!!
  • Hi. I have this problem also with a 5 yr old QH gelding. I don't have a round pen. Can I still use the stick/bag while he is on a rope? I have roped off an area in the pasture to work in and there are two other horses that may or may not be near us. Should I rope off a smaller area within that to be sort of like a round pen, or just stay on the longeline? He doesn't throw a shoulder into me, but he does crowd me. If I try to stay at his shoulder or behind, he just ends up planting his front feet and swirling on his hind, and I am the one going in circles around him, instead of the other way around. BTW, I am brand new at this and only have a couple days a week to work with him. Thanks for the input.
  • I'm all for respecting space, but why are you lunging this  horse after 5  years? What's the point?

I guess I'm just not a fan of lunging a horse repetitively if they're broke to ride and otherwise okay. If he has a problem with lunging, and he's okay otherwise, why lunge  him? Am I missing something?

I guess I've seen too many people who would rather run their horses in a circle when the horse is beyond that. If you  need to teach him something that he can learn from lunging that's one thing. But I can teach horses to respect my space without lunging them. I think it's just asking for trouble to continue to lunge a horse after it's broke and ready to go. It's boring and repetitive for them, and why court trouble? Unless of course there's something you are looking to improve with the lunging.

But again, I've seen too many people who just want to take their horses out and run them in circles for too long and for no purpose other than running them in circles. It leads to aggressive and challenging behavior. It's fine when you're in teaching mode, teaching them to respect the rope or get used to the saddle...but once they've learned it, move on.

Also, if you have an agressive horse, almost impossible to deal with a challenging horse outside of a round pen, because if they can't get out of it by charging you, they quickly learn just to jerk away from the rope, unless you have a lariat around their throat, which most people aren't up to, and in most cases isn't warranted, anyway.

So look at why you're in a power struggle over lunging. If it's for no purpose other than to make the horse go forever in circles until you call it off, is it really a fight worth having with a riding horse? If it's not, I'd opt for some other form of warming him up. Previous poster was right, perhaps getting rid of the lunge line is the way, and just move him around without it.
  • [quote=skwright]

Hi. I have this problem also with a 5 yr old QH gelding. I don't have a round pen. Can I still use the stick/bag while he is on a rope? I have roped off an area in the pasture to work in and there are two other horses that may or may not be near us. Should I rope off a smaller area within that to be sort of like a round pen, or just stay on the longeline? He doesn't throw a shoulder into me, but he does crowd me. If I try to stay at his shoulder or behind, he just ends up planting his front feet and swirling on his hind, and I am the one going in circles around him, instead of the other way around. BTW, I am brand new at this and only have a couple days a week to work with him. Thanks for the input.

Use  your thumb at the point just above the point of his shoulder when he crowds with his shoulder. He'll move back.

Swinging butt towards  you aggressively is unacceptable. You have to be pro active, and when you see him getting ready to do that, either remove all attention by walking away (before he actually has his butt towards  you) or use a training whip and thwack him over the shoulders. You can smack his butt if he's swung it towards  you , but you  need to be at an angle where he can't kick  you.

With babies it's easy, when they turn their butt, you just walk away, and they'll come around. Keep an eye turned, because they'll just sort of kick out for fun a lot of times, and you need to be watching that.

With grown horses who are doing it to intimidate you, you have to be a lot more creative. If they try it, I'm all for lashing them, not viciously, but give them a sting...but try to do it in a place that doesn't inspire them to kick, and make sure you aren't right behind them when you do it. I like right over the withers, hopefully while you're next to them. Otherwise, walk away, turn your back and walk away (keeping an eye out); they'll turn around and when they do, reward them with kind words or if they come close enough, loves and scratches.

Scratching is a wonderful way to teach a horse to face you, btw. Whenever they're facing you, scratch their itchy spots...behind their elbows, on their withers, between their front legs, under their bellies, even the base of their tails or underneath between titties (if they're mares). Eventually they'll forget about trying to scare you off and come up for loves. Sounds silly, but it works. And when they run at you backwards, (colts will do that initially, trying to get you to scratch their rears) just walk away. They'll turn around and come at you the right way.

A horse that charges, however, gets a whip waved in the face or the chest (which is better, but sometimes you dont' get a lot of time to aim) or across the withers. Don't do it, as I said, viciously, a light swat will do it with a training whip, and it lands where it lands. But charging is something that needs to be checked and quickly. You don't have to injure them, just stand your ground and make it obvious to them that they can't approach you in an aggressive manner. Quick is one thing, intimidating is another.

And in fact, it doesn't even require a swat. Generally just waving a training whip at their chest or at their face will avert them. Then bide your time and let them come up to you nicely.

A charging horse, as in full out trot, gallop or fast walk, who's trying to run you over, gets a smack. Chest is best, but you know, sometimes, at the speeds and the dimensions you're dealing with, it ends up being neck or face. Try to avoid eyes, that's not good. At the same time, if it's you or the horse, you get what you get. I'd never aim for a horse's eyes, and I've never blinded one, but I've been in situations where there are multiple horses including colts and unbroke wild horses, and the whip lands where it lands. Just dont' wield it too forcefully, it doesn't take a vicious swing to make the point. I've accidentally hit horses above their eyes, I certainly wasn't aiming there, but when you have a few racing at you, you sort of swat away; they're moving and the whip is moving, and sometimes it will hit a head or above an eye and make it blink. Like I said, just don't wield it so  hard it's going to blind them if that happens.

But back to lunging. What's the purpose of lunging a horse you've had at least 5 years, providing he's a riding horse. Is it just a power struggle? I'm all for putting a saddle on a horse and tying him up and letting him stand for a bit once he's past the lunging stage, if you really feel he  needs that much of a warm up before you ride. Then get on him and ride him to warm him up. Unless he bucks or something. I'm not denying there's a point to lunging some horses, but is there a point to lunging  yours, besides just making a point? Some points aren't worth making, and some horses will always react adversely to lunging once they think they have the idea. It's like taking a 5th grader and forcing him to participate in preschool scholastics. If it isn't necessary, why fight about it?

• And if you are in a pen or pasture with other loose horses, forget it. I wouldn't even think of trying to lunge a horse in that situation. Take him out of the area, put a fence between him and the others, it's ALWAYS dangerous to work a horse  with loose horses in the same enclosure. You'll end up with behaviors you'll never encounter if the horse is separated. Even if you can get your horse's attention on you (which is unlikely) you have no control over the other horses. It's a recipe for disaster. Don't try to lunge or even ride a horse in a pasture with loose horses. Please.
  • I have the area I work in roped off so the other horses can't get in. I really don't have any other choice. I don't know these horses very well and I didn't want to just jump up and ride away, so I was using longeing as a way for us to get to know each other. I am doing other ground work with them as well, like the bending exercises in the previous months postings. I don't longe for long periods, the most we have worked is maybe fifteen minutes. I don't believe in running in circles forever. Then we change to different things.  I lead them around the farm to get them used to being away from the other horses and to trust being with me. They haven't been worked with much, especially in the last couple of years.

This gelding doesn't charge me and he's not swinging his hind end at me aggressively, he is just turning around instead of walking or trotting. I have a riding crop I can use to keep him back. I also will try the bag on the end suggested earlier to keep him back. I think that may work with him. We have done lots of the scratching, lovey dovey stuff. The first several times I was with these horses, all I did was groom them, again, getting to know them, letting them get to know me.

Thank you for you input and consideration for my safety and the horses.

• [quote=skwright]

I have the area I work in roped off so the other horses can't get in. I really don't have any other choice. I don't know these horses very well and I didn't want to just jump up and ride away, so I was using longeing as a way for us to get to know each other. I am doing other ground work with them as well, like the bending exercises in the previous months postings. I don't longe for long periods, the most we have worked is maybe fifteen minutes. I don't believe in running in circles forever. Then we change to different things.  I lead them around the farm to get them used to being away from the other horses and to trust being with me. They haven't been worked with much, especially in the last couple of years.

This gelding doesn't charge me and he's not swinging his hind end at me aggressively, he is just turning around instead of walking or trotting. I have a riding crop I can use to keep him back. I also will try the bag on the end suggested earlier to keep him back. I think that may work with him. We have done lots of the scratching, lovey dovey stuff. The first several times I was with these horses, all I did was groom them, again, getting to know them, letting them get to know me.

Thank you for you input and consideration for my safety and the horses.

Turn him back around and start over.  He will get tired of spinning around.  As soon as he does it correctly, stop and reward. 
  • Good advice here from trainer101. 

There are plenty of reasons to lunge a horse, not the least of which is so that you can do it when the vet needs to exam them for lameness. 

My mare is a wonderful, wonderful horse (I'm just a little prejudiced) but she doesn't like lunging either.  She came up lame and I had to lunge her for the vet.  She would turn in and charge me.  I simply flicked the lunge rope up in front of me, swirling it and out she went.  The vet was shocked she behaved as she did, because she is the kind of mare everyone wants if they have kids, the safest thing on four legs.  I imagine she has been lunged to death some time in her history and has bad associations with it.  Who knows. 

With Fidget, I had to start him in close tight circles pushing him off with first the crop so he would move his butt out while I lead him with the other hand around me.  Gradually as he and I got better the circles increased in size and he and I learned to communicate with each other. 

Whenever there is a disrespect issue it never hurts to go back to the basics and reestablish your position with the horse.  I'm a relatively new horse owner and when we learned some natural horsemanship we had someone teach us and work with the horses first.  It was the best money I've ever spent.  They knew what they were reading, seeing in the horse and could explain it to me.