Quick Post

Training a pyscho Arabian raised in a pasture

Training a pyscho Arabian raised in a pasture
  • 5 weeks ago I bought a 2 yr old Arabian mare. She was raised in a field and I didn't think about that before I bought her so now I'm stuck with some problems. First she does not like hay, she will only eat it if she has not eaten in a while (every few meals) Grain is fine though.
    Second she refuses to be desensitized. I tried tieing a plastic bag to her tail for a few days even and she just got used to it being there only. If I touched it somewhere else she freaks again. I have walked her across tarps, around cars, everything, I'm tired of not getting any results.
  • I've had Arabs 20 years, and I've never tied a bag to any of their tails.  [':)']

I would trust my 27 year old Arab anywhere on trail, he's a former endurance horse and the best hearted horse I've ever known, but he still suspects maybe, just maybe, even after all these years, I might kill him with a plastic bag.

It's one of their quirks.  In my experience the traditional method of desensitizing horses by flapping things at them till they get over it, doesn't make a lick of sense to this kind of personality.  They don't become desensitized so much as they just think you're part of the plot and shouldn't be trusted.  They snort because they can.  And because they enjoy it.

But I've found you can lead them through and over any obstacle that really needs to be crossed, if you can prove to her that you can be trusted.  You and she united against the scary world... not you bringing scary things to her to taunt her with. 

It's a fine line... [':)']

The hay may not taste as good as the pasture, if that's still available. 
  • I agree with everything WB has said.  My haflinger who is unphased by deer jumping out at him and random dogs running up and barking, also still thinks that plastic bags are horse-eating monsters.  Really, don't get hung up on plastic bags. 

She is only 2 and you have only had her for 5 weeks.  That is a very short time.  Focus more on trust-building activities.  Hand walk her out on the trails, spend lots of time grooming her, and work on other type of ground-work activities such as backing up, yeilding forequarters, hind quarters, side-passing, ground driving, etc.  All of these things will get her to start seeing you as the leader.  If she sees you as the leader, if something scary does happen on the trail - she will look to you to see your reaction and act accordingly.
  • [quote=manentailfarm]

5 weeks ago I bought a 2 yr old Arabian mare. She was raised in a field and I didn't think about that before I bought her so now I'm stuck with some problems. First she does not like hay, she will only eat it if she has not eaten in a while (every few meals) Grain is fine though.
    Second she refuses to be desensitized. I tried tieing a plastic bag to her tail for a few days even and she just got used to it being there only. If I touched it somewhere else she freaks again. I have walked her across tarps, around cars, everything, I'm tired of not getting any results.

manentailfarm,   you ever own an arabian before?   You ever trained an arabian or worked with an arabian before.   From the sounds of it I would say No.

You need to find a trainer who works with arabians,   Your horse will not be ready to break to a saddle for 2 more yrs.   Arabian mature and grow  slower than your QH.

I don't recommend breaking an arabian to a saddle until they are 4 yrs. old.

Remember You Ask an arabian to do things you don't tell them to.

Pyscho.   LOL.  

don't take offense at this post,  it is just because people don't take the time
    to learn the differences in the arabian breed from other horses  that they have
    come to becalled  Nutty,  Pyscho,  and other nasty names.

• Remember You Ask an arabian to do things you don't tell them to.  

This is the truest answer you can get. 

I agree 100% with second. And with WB and Cat. An arab is a horse that will be loyal to you forever, but they have to trust and respect you first. 

Is it to late to suggest that you sell this horse and buy a seasoned veteran horse that you can learn from him. It is always the best way to go when learning. 

As far as the eating thing... I found my arab to be the pickiest horse. I often called her my hussy princess. (yes I said it) She had an air about her. She would rather starve than eat that costal I brought her ( he was use to alfalfa) If there is any way to let her graze some also it would be a good idea. And then slowly add the hay. 

Good luck. If you think that we are all crazy and you are going to keep this horse and ignore all the more experienced horse peoples advise. If  things go south please now that you can ask more questions. And by all means ask for help, get a trainer, or sell her before things get out of control. It will be in your best interest. I know you think I'm crazy now but you won't always. Remember this.
  • WB is right and so is SecondChance.  Arabs are comparable to the most high strung energizer bunny type mule you can find.  They are special and their training is special.  My real mother has 4 and she is always so frustrated with them that she could just scream.  She always rode and messed with Quarter horses or paint quarter crosses.  Difference is night and day. 

Arabians were bred to withstand extreme heat in the day, freezing temps at night and have the energy to go long distances with ease.  They have all that energy for a reason and for you as a rider handler to harness that, well you are going to have to be very consistant and patient.  WB couldn't have said it better.  They snort because they can and they LIKE it!!!

I agree that they should be started under saddle around the 3 yr old year lightly.  The ground work and getting the manners down pat can happen anytime you are ready to get started.  It all comes back to them but they are smart enough that if you let something slide they will take advantage of it.  By flapping the bag and things you are feeding her high energy.  Put it to work for you by giveing her something constructive to focus on.  Lead her over poles, up hill, down hills and engage her mind.  She will be far more willing to listen after she has the idea that you know your stuff.

Good luck and stay safe.
  • By flapping the bag and things you are feeding her high energy. Put it to work for you by giveing her something constructive to focus on. Lead her over poles, up hill, down hills and engage her mind. She will be far more willing to listen after she has the idea that you know your stuff.

Yes! ':)'  Well put.
  • Wow you guys couldn't have said it better ':)'  I love my 1/2 arabian but I live with exactly what everyone has said every day - give her a job and she's AWSOME!  I did a lot of ground work with my mare when she was young - she stayed out of trouble as long as I kept things interensting and she had a job to focus on.  We have a wonderful bond now and it's really starting to show, we just started jumping and yesterday she "saved my butt" as the trainer said LOL but it's just the way I want it - we work together ':)'
  • I can't imagine how tyin a bag to her tail will teach her anything, except maybe not to let you around her tail again.  You can 'desensitize' an arab, I did it with 5 of them at different times of my life, but not like that.  There is no easy way, or a quick way, it takes time, and LOTS of patience, and no bags.   But before you can desensitize, you hafta get trust and respect from the horse.  Take a horse you don't know and tie stuff to it only teaches the horse that you have a VERY strange way of entertaining yourself......  And at their expense.

I would HIGHLY recommend you take the horse to someone who knows what they are doin, or has enuff sense not to do stuff like that to her. 

If someone told you to do that, I would disreguard anything else they try to teach you.  That is no way to train any horse.
  • I'm not sure if I'm actually posting in the thread or sending a pm...I'm trying to post in the thread.

First of all, many wonderful, fine horses start out without being touched for months or years of their lives. I've raised colts that were out on rocky hillsides for 6 months before we ever touched them, and then it was just to separate them from their mothers, get them haltered, handle them a little, then turn them out until it was time to break them.

Second, Arabs are wonderful horses who have an innate desire to work with people. I don't know if it's just that they are such an old breed, but I've never seen a mean Arab, or one that would intentionally or viciously hurt a human.

I wouldn't mess with tying anything to the poor thing at this point. What you need is to get the horse confined, and get it used to having people around. That means, ideally, a round pen, or stall with a turn out. Where you can go in, putter around and the horse can't really get too far away from you. I'm assuming you've managed to get a halter on him, which is a really good thing. I've choked down big colts to halter them because they were truly wild. If you can get a halter on yours without such extreme measures, the horse isn't completely wild. Or it's just an Arab, by nature curious and in love with people. If it doesn't kick, I don't think I'd mess with the plastic bag, you might just teach it to kick.

Start with just touching. When our colts were older, I'd keep them in the round pen, and go in every day or so with a lariat, and stand in the middle and just practice tossing a loop gently at the horse...sometimes it lands on the head, sometimes on the butt, sometimes they step into it. Then it either slides off, they step out of it, or they have to let you remove it. It's the best way I know of to quickly de-sensitize a horse. At first they will run around and act like lunatics, but just watch your body position and stay calm, and eventually they'll get used to it. Keep a sharp knife if some sort of weird catastrophe happens but I've never had one happen. Use the loop to move the horse one way, then the other.

It's just a matter of patience and time.

I have a boy who runs up behind horses yelling and waving sticks. Or sometimes he runs up silently and suddenly. THe one horse I trust with him is my Arab mare, who hasn't been around kids to my knowledge, ever. She always knows where he is. And if you're in the pasture with an Arab who likes you, they won't let other horses near.

They're truly wonderful horses.
  • I have an eight yr old arab, who I love dearly but for the first year he gave me the run for my money! Not to mention, he was my first horse and I had to choose an arab, lol. I've had him for 3 yrs now and enjoy every minute because I have figured out that all the screaming in the world makes no difference to them. I now put him to "work" when he behaves badly and it has made a HUGE difference. And by work, I mean putting him in circles, backing him up or simply asking him to flex. Don't give up just yet on your little arab! You can do it, it just takes time. 

PS....absorb all the advice from these folks on here, they know their stuff!!!!
  • Just rescued a 10 year old Arab that hadn't had anything done to it in, 10 years. This horse is a sponge and unflappable, easiest horse I ever trained.

I was in Washington State and somebody tied a tarp to a horse's tail. The horse took off and slamed into a wall. It was urinating blood. Dumb! and cruel.
  • Agreed.  That kind of thing really makes me question who should be teachin who.....