Quick Post

My 18 year old gelded Arab all of a sudden is shaking his head up and down

My 18 year old gelded Arab all of a sudden is shaking his head up and down
  • Never seen him do it before.  I've been looking all over the web and can't really pinpoint if it's headshaking or what.   It's mostly just a 1 time upward jolt and he's doing it in the pasture and when we are doing drills or just grazing around the ranch.

His teeth are up to date, I could not find any issues in or around his ears.. I just don't get it.  This has been going on for 2 weeks now.   This is way different from his excited head circle/throw that he does before he starts to gallop..  it has me very concerned.     Any thoughts would be appreciated.   
  • He sounds like a lucky horse to have such a concerned owner. Good catch on the new behavior. Some people might not have paid attention.

If it was me, the first thing I'd do is really give him a good once over. I'd groom him within an inch of his life including his feet. You know when they limp their heads will go up, too, so don't overlook the feet. Feel them for heat. Might just have something stuck in there or he might be getting an abcess. If you've brushed/curried him all over and there's no indication of anything sore anywhere, then go over him again with your hands. This time check places like his lips, under his tail (and all underneath there) and make sure nothing's sticking him. Then you might apply a little pressure on his joints to see if that comes up with anything.

One thing my hoof care practitioner taught me, if you turn them on the forehand (both ways) then turn them on the hind end you can often come up with something that's not apparent when they walk straight. For example, hold the lead and, with his front end pivoting in place, get him to yield his back end and continue turning him. If his hips are out that's probably going to show you right there.  THEN you can get him to move his front end away from you while his back end stays in place, sort of a crossover on his front feet. If his shoulders are having problems, this is where you'll see it.

Get a couple of pieces of carrots and have him do some stretches - hold the carrot down between his knees. Hold a piece up by his hip on each side.

You can pick up his front foot, gently pull it forward a little bit until he lets his leg lock straight. Gently release it. That's like horse yoga. [':D']

Try to do the same thing on both sides, whatever you do.

I hope you figure it out. He's telling you something's wrong. Have you switched ferriers recently? You might get your ferrier to check him out.

Good luck! When you do figure it out I hope you'll let us know what you discover!

• Thanks Beth!  I will follow your comments and report back!  
  • You might check his ears.  We have a new mare who would shake her head whenever she trotted or cantered.  Her ear canals were inflamed from mites or ticks, the vet said. &nbsp';P'ut drops in and 4 days later, no head shaking!
  • How often are his teeth done?  Being that he is older they may need to be done more often.