Quick Post

My 4 yr old appendix is way out of balance.

My 4 yr old appendix is way out of balance.
  • I though he would grow out of this awkward thing that he does but it looks like I will need to help him a bit and I think I'm at the end of my experience at this. 

Symptoms:  very reluctant to canter under saddle, downward transitions like train wrecks, you never know what lead he will pick up if he chooses to canter regardless of what you do to cue him, he will not use his butt at all to go or stop

Things I'm trying:  rollbacks and more rollbacks-going better in the round pen than under saddle, lots of halts without going to a walk first (its like using the only front brakes on a bicycle)

If anyone has suggestions to help him find his balance I would be game to try anything at this point.  I wish I could just tell him "hey buddy, use your butt and you would be more comfortable".   He tries hard, he's just not getting this part. 

Thanks in advance!
  • Well, I'm of the opinion that good things come to those who wait and with a young horse, it is better to wait for them to grow into themselves instead of trying to force something they might not be ready for.  If he still has growing to do, you might be better off doing lots of trail riding over uneven terrain and obstacles to let him learn where his feet are and balance himself instead of repetitious things like roll-backs that are also hard on his growing joints and not much fun for him.  With my gelding, we did lots of trotting and cantering along the trail just letting him get into his own rhythm without worrying about turning, leads and such, then started working on collection, still on the straight-away, then started working on leads.  He's a big guy (17.3, 3/4 draft) so it is naturally a struggle while my warmblood filly never picks up a wrong lead.  They will get it when they are physically ready ':)'

Any pictures of your boy?