Quick Post

Ever miss getting kicked by a hair????

Ever miss getting kicked by a hair????
  • Whew!!  I take it back about Jewel being better!  Tonight when I was putting Cody back in the pasture with Jewel and Chocolate, she came over and was shoving herself between us  and being marish despite me waving my arms and smacking her with the leadrope  and I ended up letting Cody go with his halter and leadrope attached because he was trying to get away from her while she was kicking at him..... then she turned and had her rear up against the gate I was trying to close so I gently bumped her butt with the gate to move her in.  She bounced once and then bammm!  Kicked the gate with both hind feet!  Wow!  If her feet had come through the gate, it wouldn't have been good....   Grabbed the lunge whip and went in and nailed her whenever she came near me while I caught Cody and removed his halter....... Have never had such an aggressive horse....... That was a close one...... I want to give the trainer some time with her, but don't know that I will ever really trust this mare.....
  • Okay, YES.  That's the answer.  You said you never went in there without a stick to whack her with.  Go back to that!  If she's moving Cody and moving you then she's alpha.  On the other hand she probably won't grow a brain until she's about 7 so there could be some play in there, not to say it's not dangerous.  I know with Zag, he has precision hooves. If he'd have wanted to kill me I'd be dead. Still, feeling the wind whoosh by my head as he tried to pick a fly off my ear.... it was THAT close!  I wasn't paying attention but the two guys working on the car next door nearly messed themselves. They thought he kicked me.  I absolutely trust him but I try not to turn my back on any horse.  You have your hands full Dana but still, you have one of the greatest mares ever.  She's got so much promise. 
  • Glad you are ok! Many times I have had close calls. I have been in the same predicament. Frisky was kicking at Hidalgo and he got the point and left. Then comes silly me near her and I think she thought Hidalgo came back and she started kicking. I was very far but still. Scary. I thought I would never trust Frisky. Don't know if hunterseat remembers the amount of kicks thrown my way from her. Now I can crawl under her and do her feet in the pasture no problem and love her to bits. I use to carry a stick when around Hidalgo but found out if I didn't have the stick...he knew it. unfortunately. I don't have problems with him now but before I had the power to throw shoes and scary socks and hats and branches at him anything I could get my hands on. Mind you I rarely missed his bum. ';)' Never hurt him but scared the day lights out of him. He does challenge me from time to time and I am not as forgiving because he knows better. Jewel is amazing and she is huge so don't blame you and Cody for moving. I'd probably be out of there just by one look from her haha.
  • She's been better about the whole turning another horse into the pasture thing, staying back because we've been working on that and Cody WAS the boss but now things seem to be changing and she is starting to boss him around some....... Grrrrr, so, yes, back to the "carry a big stick" routine.  She has never kicked at me and part of me thinks because she was in a group of horses and was already kicking at Cody, she thought the gate was another horse, not me..... still, what a pill..... this morning, sweet as pie but she's a wolf in sheeps clothing!!!!!
  • She is a fast learner. ':o'! Yeah, I doubt she was kicking at you just at anything in general and you happened to be there. Not fun to be in those situations.
  • [quote=danastark]
     she thought the gate was another horse, not me.....

Um...yeah okay. 

• Either way, she shouldn't have been kicking, she had just nailed Cody in the side and then turned her butt to the gate...... 

The tides are a changin..... tonight, Cody went over to steal her pellets and she warned him off and it worked??!!!  Bummer.  Guess I'm going to have to put good old Spirit in with her and not feel sorry for her anymore!!  I felt bad for her when he was in with her last time and she slipped in the mud, went down and he leaped on top of her and bit her HARD on the flank-swelling has finally gone down.... She must've deserved it!!  Sigh......

• Haha well at least you could say if she were in the wild she'd definitely be the alpha female. Wonder if she will be braver now with Spirit or will she remember what happened last time.
  • I don't know..... she makes getting other horses out of and putting other horses into the pasture difficult and dangerous because she comes in squealing, striking and kicking...... If I have a whip, it scares the poor horse I'm holding onto!  Sigh......
  • Instead of shooing her away, which she may see as a challenge, (since she is wanting to be alpha,) have you tried going out there, even if you want to get another horse, and if she acts like that get her, and put her to work?  Should help her to learn that being pushy with you is actually more work than its worth. By work, I mean rite there in the field with other horses, simple ground stuff…
  • At least for now, whenever she sees us out there, she's hanging over the fence, nickering and begging to be messed with.  My problem is, I have a pretty fragile neck and can't really work with her anymore because one good jerk from her and I'm side-lined for who knows how long...... I used to be able to work her and she was doing really well but since early July of last year, haven't really been able to do anything other than groom, feed and when she's worn out, hand-walk her.  She really likes the attention though and I think is going to enjoy having a job once she figures out what is acceptable. 

Thanks for your ideas ':)'  Good to hear from you!  How's it going back in the states?  Did you find a good place to board your mare?
  • Ya, every time I think I'm settled, some wrench gets tossed into the mix.  I found a good place for the pony, and even managed to move into the apartment at the barn, so I really have hands on with her, which has turned out to be a good thing.  She lost a lot of weight over the summer, and the more hay I fed her, the worse she looked, got her re allergy tested, and her allergies had flip flopped all over the place, and she is allergic to the hay we were feeding her... go figure!! Then was having issues with URI's, would treat her, blood test her, they come back good, but she was still having issues breathing while I rode, so had to have her scoped, and the vet found puss pockets, which meant he had to punch her esophagus and get samples... turns out it a low grade lung infection that is allergy related.  She has a vet apt next week, and hopefully we are back on track.  She is in a fit vs fat shape rite now, so still trying to get a little more weight on her. 
    I sold my dale Chavez saddle, and bought a dressage saddle, and still been doing some shows with her (vet ok'd through all this...) I hope to qualify for the area regional#%92s this year... but well see...
    What else, oh yes, I totaled my car, Ran it into the biggest thing I could find on the road: an F550.  (actually the guy passed me about 2 miles up the road, guess 60 on the country back roads wasn#%92t fast enough.  Ever have one of those visions where you just slam into some idiot for the way they drive?  ya, well I don#%92t recommend it... LOL!!!) if there is a way to rear-end someone and do it rite, I found it. No damage to them, no ticket, and my car was valued at 3X's what I owed. All I got was a Chem burn on my chin from bracing above the airbags.
    Still in school, need to up my pace if I want to be done with my BA in 24 months tho... 
    So I apologize for being such a hit and miss on here….
    I did not know you had to be so careful with your neck, that will definitely make you take things a bit easier.. on life in general!! 
  • Wow, your poor mare...... she's having quite the time of it!  Hope things get figured out and healed.  Quite a bit of $ for you too!

Glad you're OK after your accident...... I've heard those airbags can really get you..... but better than the alternative, huh?

It is a bummer w/ my neck situation because the instincts are still there, what this mare needs but I decided I couldn't risk it, so I ride my safe, big guy and am letting someone else work with her.  Spoke to him tonight and he said she retained quite a bit of what they worked on the previous week.  Having him come only once a week isn't ideal but he's only in our area once a week and I can't afford to board her and put her in full-time training so we'll go the slower route.

• Poor Dana. [':('] I'll bet I'm not the only one who wishes I were closer to be able to give you a hand with her. I'm glad you didn't get kicked - intentional or not.
  • showqueen, sorry about the health problems with your mare.  Hope you have her well on the road to becoming her old self again.  Your accident was awful.  Really glad to read that you are okay.  Cars can be replaced.

dana, I have never been almost kicked but twice I have had a mare kick me.  Once I was walking into a standing stall to hook the tie for a filly.  I told her I was there and reached up and touched her butt.  She let me have it in the gut.  I was close enough that it wasn't a hard hit, but she connected.  Years later, I walked into a stall where a filly was on cross ties.  I reached up to brush her forelock and found myself on the mat on the outside of the stall.  She had whirled around, planted her hind feet in my abdomen, and sent me out to the mat.  She was cross tied loose, which allowed her the freedom to move that way.  It knocked the wind out of me.  She had never given any indication she would kick prior to this incident.  A hit like that can cause serious internal damage (happened to a friend, but he got kicked by a draft and was hospitalized with internal bleeding/bruising) but I was blessed with the major damage being a bruise to my abdomen and another to my pride.