Quick Post

1 to 2 year old stud horse training problems......

1 to 2 year old stud horse training problems......
  • I have a standard bred and walker mix 1 to 2 year old STUD who thinks that he is the king of our house....he will not take the bit, bucks,bites,headbutts, and rears up whenever we let go of his headgear....we have a stud lead on him and his ba*** haven't fallen yet....Yesturday when I took him walking in the park....cause he is too young for me to ride yet...... he started acting like this and when I got him back home, well he keeps giving me this type of trouble whenever I turn his halter loose and grab the lead rope to move him...even 3 feet he does this....my question is.....HOW DO I STOP THIS BEHAVIOR WITHOUT HURTING HIM OR MYSELF??????? My 16 year old son can handle him a little but I need for myself  and my 13 year old daughter to handle him as well because he is our (my daughter and I) horse........PLEASE HELP ME

also I need to know how much it costs to have him gelded.......can anyone hook me up with a good vet in Logan County WV?
  • Call the vets in your area to find out about gelding fees- they vary in all the different areas of the country.

I would NOT let your 13 yr old. handle him if he is behaving that badly.  You need to get him to respect you on the ground and work with you and you need to be the boss and not let him be.

There are several different methods to getting him to do this.  You need to figure out your capabilities and what you want to do.  If it was me I would round pen his butt until he was dead tired, working both directions on command, stopping starting etc.. Until he knew the voice commands for whoa really well.  After he was tired I would do some basic leading excercises and if he even thought of rearing we would be backing up for LONG distances.  I also believe in having them stand tied to something SAFELY for patience. 

You have your hands full with this youngster, but I am sure it will all be worth it in the end.
  • I agree with Tanya.  When they have that kind of mind set it is dangerous for all involved.  Keep in mind that with a stallion the corrections need to be instant and over.  If he bit you and you smacked him and then kept backing him he would get very aggitated and probaly rear or bite again.  When you correct him make it fast and make sure he knows you meant it.

Talk to some trainers in your area and maybe go out and watch them work with a stallion to get a good idea of how to begin.  Ask them some questions or if one of them is willing have them come out and watch you handle him then they can give you some pointers on what to do and when.  Watch some videos, Clinton Anderson, Craig Cameron, Stacy Westfall are all great trainers with some down to earth methods that work.

If he were in my training I would begin with round pen work.  First getting him to move left when I pointed and put pressure on his shoulder.  When he was paying attention let him stop and then move him the other way till he has a ear and eye on you.  Don't let him change directions as he pleases but keep him moving and beware of his hindquarters.  Should he try and kick you let him have it and mean it.  I have also done this with a lariet around their neck so that when you want them to change directions you can step in front and pull them to face you then step up and rub them before sending them off the other way.

• I think i would have to agree in part with  tanya but it depends on the 13 yr old and the horse and the bond.
  • Have to ask, what made you get an untrained, ungelded horse for you & your young daughter? How much experience have you had?

First & foremost call the vets ASAP & get him gelded. But don't expect, at his age & with well established behaviour patterns that that will change him much. After you've called the vet, find & book a *good* trainer ASAP. Preferably one who is confident about dealing with aggression and 'dominant' behaviour in a non confrontational way. Next learn all you can about equine behaviour & behavioural training principles & practice.

Depending on your level of expertise & confidence, and that of your daughter, you can either get your chosen trainer to work with the horse for a while first, before giving you lessons with him, or you can go straight into getting the trainer to teach you to deal with him.

I would personally - after getting the vet - be inclined to start out teaching him some manners & 'good' behaviour with positive reinforcement, from the other side of a fence(for safety) to begin with. I would avoid confrontations & punishment where ever possible(never say never), as you getting 'bossy' with him could easily be seen just as a challenge that he wants to rise to - causing his behaviour to get more dangerous. There are more ways to skin a cat and you might get some more ideas about the type of approach I think best from Mark Rashid's site - he used to have a good article on 'Passive Leadership'.