Quick Post

Training Tips for Young Foal

Training Tips for Young Foal
  • Hi all. I have a 7 week old clydesdale filly that I am training to be my future riding horse. Long story short, I've had a couple of falls in the last couple years that have made me a fearful rider. I am very bonded with this filly and want to bring her up as a confident, trustworthy, safe, and happy riding horse. I already have her halter broke, she ties, I can lift and clean all of her feet, she bathes, and she even will go into the exam chute. I work with her every day for about 15 minutes, taking her for walks and introducing her to all sorts of new things and taking her off the property and getting her used to new places and traffic.

So, here's what I'd like to know. I was hoping to get any training tidbits or ideas that have worked for anyone. I want this filly to be 100% trusting of me, and knowing that I won't let anything hurt her. She does very well being taken out of her turnout away from her mom and sisters, so I can do most anything by myself.

We have brought up several foals before, but because of my falls, I want to make the "perfect horse" out of this filly. I know, there's no such thing. I'm just looking for any and all ideas of how to introduce her to new ideas and concepts.

Thanks in advance for any tips and thoughts.

Tami
  • From the sounds of it you are on the right track.  You might start introducing her to things like tarps, rain coats, tossing the lead rope up over her back and things like that.  I have acutally put old boxes and milk jugs down on the ground and led them though that to build their confidence that nothing will hurt them.

When she is older I would teach her how to lower her head so that bridling is easier, those horses get big!!  How to yeild her hindquarters and shoulders and how to lounge around you when you ask.  Backing is really big for my training.  I want them to back quickly with their head flexed at the poll but as soon as I quite asking I bring them right back up and really rum on them.  Just like with the lounging you will want to get her to move around you maybe a full circle and then bring her back up and rub on her, let her know that even though you sent her away you will always bring them back.

Sounds like she will be a great horse for you!  Keep us posted and we love pics.
  • Sounds like you're doing well. I would just be doing as much of everything I could think of with her, but in a non-confrontational, no-stress way. Not that you need to be in any hurry anyway. 'Approach & retreat' tactics are great and positive reinforcement(reward based) training is definitely the way to go. Eg. desensitise her to all sorts, take her out & about, with & without her mum, teach her to yield, lead & drive in all directions, put things on her back, take her for short trips in a trailer... whatever so long as it's not physically or mentally too stressful for her. 15 minute - or even shorter - sessions are best, but that's not to say you can only do one a day - the more the merrier, so long as there are stress-free breaks in between.

I would not tie up a young horse firm. It's too easy for them to hurt(and traumatise) themselves if they pull back. Instead use a long lead wrapped a couple of times around a rail, or use a 'tie ring' or similar gadget, to 'tie' them without risk. Actually I don't tie any horse firm until they're very solid & not spooky being 'tied' in this way.

While everything else can be done in your own time, I would be getting her great with hoofcare and desensitised to worming & other veterinary type procedures asap. She will need a trim by now or in the near future, if you want to keep her feet in good shape, and accidents & sicknesss, therefore veterinary care could be necessary at any time. Also, the more exercise the better for health at any age & slow steady work on firm ground will also help her bones & hooves to develop strongly. I'd take her out for walks on firm ground or roads as much as you can.