Quick Post

WESTERN SADDLE FOR HIGH-WITHERED HORSE

WESTERN SADDLE FOR HIGH-WITHERED HORSE
  • i'm looking at a roping saddle for my high/sloping withered thoroughbred... they seem to have the higher gullets that i need... i currently have a barrel saddle, that i love but it's too low on my horse's withers... any opinions on the roping saddles for high withers and for the trail?? 
  • It depends on the saddle.  I have a roping saddle and it is pretty dang heavy...whereas barrel racing saddles are much lighter.  I don't think mine is any higher in the withers than any other saddle.  If the horse has some decent shoulder muscles it might work but most roping saddles themselves are pretty heavy and cumbersome for trail riding.  I think too that someone told me the roping saddles have longer stirrups, because a true cowboy would be bailing off a lot to tie up the calf.

My TWH has somewhat of a high wither but he is well built and stocky, not an older horse, so a roping saddle fits him ok.  We drew a cutout of his withers and bought the saddle that fit him the best based on the WIDTH of the tree, not the height of the front end.
  • I would check out a place I found, they can use a Roping Tree and make a Trail Saddle all for super reasonable prices

www.southerntrailssaddle.com

They solved a huge problem I had with an awesome saddle for under 700.00

CJ
  • Its not the type of riding discipline a saddle is made for, but the tree used to make the saddle which determines the horse it will fit.

Here is a website that addresses the different western saddle trees.

http://www.mcpcustomleather.com/macstore/pc/viewcontent.asp?idpage=11

Good luck with finding a saddle.  It is always best if you can try it on your horse,  because there is no standard in regards to sadde making and tree size.
  • I ride in a Billy Cook Barrel saddle and the horse I bought last summer had high withers and it would hit him.  I went and bought a pad with thick padding over the shoulder area and it cured my problems.  You can also double pad your horse and this would help get saddle off of him.
    Here is a site that has a great roping saddle and they have been making them for over 30 years.  Look for the Prize Winner Smoothout Saddle.  It is very popular and comfortable.  Go to http://doublehtack.com/ and look at some of their stuff. 
  • www.squidoo.com/horsesaddle

Are you still looking for saddle? In this site you can find good saddles.
  • [quote=JUSTWONDARIN]

i'm looking at a roping saddle for my high/sloping withered thoroughbred... they seem to have the higher gullets that i need... i currently have a barrel saddle, that i love but it's too low on my horse's withers... any opinions on the roping saddles for high withers and for the trail?? 

I already posted on general saddle design, but I wanted to provide you with a general guide of saddle brands vs. quality.  There is a lot of information provided on this site and they are not trying to point you toward one maker over another.  They are putting forth the idea and emphasizing the old saying that "You get what you pay for." 

http://www.western-saddle-guide.com/western-saddle-brands.html

I want to share what I have learned during my search for a saddle.  Cheaply made saddles quite often have inferior trees that are supposed to be the strength on which a saddle depends to deliver years and years of dependable service.  I should have said decades of service, because a quality saddle will often outlast the horse.  You might replace the fleece and certainly the latigo, the leather will wear and become scratched, but as long as a horse hasn't fallen over and broken the tree, it should stay straight and strong.  If you purchase a low end saddle, I would question the quality and worry that the tree will warp and twist within the first couple of years.  Some might not, but many certainly do fall apart.  Do some research online and find out how dissatified people are with cheaper made saddles.  How a warped and twisted tree had made their horse's back swollen and sore.  I did and it wasn't long before I could look at a saddle and tell by the thickness of the underskirt leather, whether the seat was stitched in a nice curved line around the cantle, or that real care had been taken to make the saddle. 

If you don't have the money for a new quality saddle, well, I certainly understand having to budget and that is why my first quality made saddle was purchased used.  I was able to find a handmade custom saddle for just over $900 that had sold new for $2500.  It hurt to pay it, because I had to cut corners and do without extras to save for it.  It didn't look new - not with scrapes into the tooling and faded seat.  I knew the original cost and that I had gotten a really good deal, not because it was in a catalog from a factory saddlery, but because I looked up the maker's name online and called the guy.  I described the saddle and he told me exactly who had ordered the saddle,&nbsp';p'articulars about the guy working as an undertrainer for a well-known reining horse trainer, that the guy had special ordered the silver conchos, and when he had made it.  You don't get any kind of personal history about a saddle that is made by mass production in a factory.  You get that kind of service from Marty Byrd in Ada, OK.  I kept doing without, saving, and eventually sold that used saddle for more than I paid for it so I could have Marty build me a new custom saddle.

A lot of people think a Billy Cook is a quality saddle and if you want to pay for their most expensive line, its okay.  But, when Billy Cook was still making his own saddles - that's one you want to try and get your hands on - those are quality saddles.  Not now.  They are now production saddles from a factory, because he sold his name with the business.  His originals are still out there, I found a couple of his, but either the seat size or tree width was wrong for what I needed.  If you search hard enough, you may find Billy's son-in-laws saddle shop - Billy taught him how to make saddles, and they're really nice.

Before you consider buying new from a factory, shop online, check at local feed stores that take in used saddles for trade or on consignment, or search out local saddle makers because they are putting their name on something they have personally worked on for weeks!  Its a major investment and you and your horse deserve a saddle that fits properly for every ride.
  • Crooked- You said it very well.  You get what you pay for.  Billy Cook's are just one of many saddle lines that are not what they used to be.  This spring when I was looking for a new barrel saddle I hunted and hunted.  I kept running into the same saddles are for sale on e-bay, and most had the same complaint-just doesn't fit my horse.

I am very lucky to have a friend who is in the tack business and she told me certain lines to look for and ones she gets calls on almost daily of people looking for those lines used.  I found Martin Saddlery to be quality and mass produced and finding one used is tough.  I have already had offers on my saddle for more than I paid for it.

You get what you pay for and research the companies.  Go on e-bay if there are TONS of them there used, you don't want it.
  • Tanya I agree with you on the Martin saddles.  They are one factory saddle that is extremely high end quality.  My daughter had one made 3-4 years ago with their unique adjustable rigging http://www.martinsaddlery.com/whymartin.aspx that allows you to move the cinch forward or back depending on the horse you are riding on a given day.  That is something I wish my saddle had.

I would love one, but they are about $1000 more than the Marty Byrd I had made.  A $1000 that would go to the middleman at a saddle shop that sells them for Martin.  I'm not against someone making a living, but everytime I use the saddle creator it runs between $3000 and $3800.  Still, cheap for a Martin, but not for me.  Maybe when I'm rich in my next life!

There is also a new type of Martin that is not from Martin Saddlery.  One of the original Martin Saddlery owners has left the company and sold his name to Reinsman.  They are not original Martin quality and it is hard to tell them apart as they each have a "Martin" insigna that is only slighty different in design.  Its buyer beware!
  • Crooked- My dream Martin was about $3000-3500  I got a few less designs and my friend who runs a tack shop does not do the "normal" mark-up and I walked away with the saddle for just under $2000.  I wanted the adjustable rigging and love it.  I just slide it back to where I need it between Nike and Jake and it is a dream.

Neat thing- with a Martin the dealer does not need to fill out the warranty card.  They are very easy to deal with on warranty work and I will be sending mine back to get dots put on it this winter to bring it up to closer to what I wanted.

The key is what you said, do your research.  A cheap saddle will cost you more in the long run with back issues for your horse.
  • Wow!  Good for you getting the dream saddle!  I knew that Martin was good to their customers, but I didn't know you could send it back for more frills.  That is really great!

I keep shopping ebay, waiting for those once in a lifetime used saddle deals.  That's where I got my first Marty Bryd, there are always good saddles showing up.  Just waiting for one to go cheap enough for me to rationalize getting it for an extra.  lol  I will have to have a second horse and will need two!