Quick Post

What is this bit???

What is this bit???
  • I have what I assume is a western bit b/c of all the silver, but I don't know what it's called. LOL I bought it b/c it was pretty. If you know what it is, let me know! I'll try to remember to check back here, but feel free to PM or email me too (jedimarajade2@yahoo.com)
  • Looks like a modified Kimberwick which does not have the bottom ring.  It is an English bit usually with a curb chain and depending on where you attach the reins, you get some curb leverage. 

• IDK though... English bits don't usually have the fancy silver accents and black steel. I thought it looked like a kimberwick of sorts too, so maybe this is a western take on it. It's not maker-marked, so I can't look it up, though it's very Metalab style.
  • I'm thinking an offshoot of a Kimberwick, too. That twisted mouth with a bit of leverage would be kind of harsh in my opinion.
  • Yeah, it would be. But I have a whole collection of bits that I don't use - I just thought something about them was pretty, lol. Got this at a tack sale because it grabbed my interest. But I have too many bits and need to sell off a bunch, so I wanted to know what this was so I could sell it properly, ha!
  • Don't know what it's called but very unusual. Haven't seen one quite like that. I do have a very old bit shaped like a butterfly driving bit but is iron with silver on it. I have been collecting bits for many years. Many of which are just wall hangings no longer usable, some usable but would never use on a horse, and some I still use. Let me know what bits you are willing to sell and maybe I can add to my collection. Always looking for more to add to it. You can email me privately if you like.(walkingbearfarm@yahoo.com)
  • Ah, a driving bit - I hadn't thought of that! I had pretty butterfly driving bit once too with intricate little leaves all down the sides of it, but I sold it some years back. And yeah, I'll drop you an email shortly - seems off-topic to list them here. ^_^
  • Slow-twist Kimberwick (I think) It was bugging me. [':)']
  • That's not a driving bit.  There are a very few people who use Kimberwicks in driving, but thankfully they are few.  The way the reins work through the backpad and terrets, this would be a particularly harsh bit for driving.