Quick Post

Straps for saddlebags

Straps for saddlebags
  • Hoping for some direction here.

I have a western saddle that the tie-down straps  on the back of the saddle has come off of. There isn't any place near where I live that I could take it to and have the straps replaced. I had found quite a while back a strap system that could be put on a saddle to provide points to tie bags, bedrolls, etc. Has anyone else seen this before and knows where I can find a set at?
  • You can buy the latigo strings online through some of the horse supply sites - horse.com, maybe schneiders... Depending upon how your saddle is configured, you can just attach them to the rings (if your saddle has screws and rings) or take out what's left of the old strings and re-string them through the saddle skirts. I have no clue what type of other system you might be talking about.
  • dog collars! [':)']  (I know nothing about western)
  • I saw that exact thing some time ago. Can't remember where though. 
  • My saddles have D rings and I use leather chin straps to hold my cantle bag on.  They work well and I usually pick them up at auctions for a reasonable price.  Stirrup hobbles might work.  The chin straps could be used for replacement stirrup hobbles, too.
  • Consider Velcro in a pinch!  I always carry some in my saddle bags as an emergency repair kit type of thing. 
  • It is a strap gizmo that goes over the cantle.