Quick Post

Bits???

Bits???
  • So what is the difference between snaffle bits and curb bits? and what are the different names of each kind?
  • A snaffle means the bit has a joint in the bar/mouth piece across the mouth.
    A curb means the part of the bit from the mouth piece connect the reins to is longer and gives you leverage on the bit when you pull on the reins.
    You can have a bit that has the snaffle joint as well as the curb such as in a Tom Thumb bit.
    Typically with English, you use a snaffle and with western you use a curb.
  • Thank you I did not know that. I was just recently told that the bits that are used where I work are curb bits. When I was first learning about bits they told me that the bits used there were Tom Thumbs not curb bits so when I saw something labeled as a curb bit that I always knew as a Tom Thumb I thought was wrong and I never got the explanation to why it was considered that.
  • Snaffle bits work with the nutcracker effect most of the time while curb bits have leverage effect. Most of the time curb bits are considerate sharper for the horse. The bits come in different models as well so it depends a bit but generally that's how you can categorize it!