Quick Post

bridle bit

bridle bit
  • is it fine for a horse to be eating with a bit in its mouth??? mine does then he gets all slobbery and his slobber is the color he ate which is usually green. yuck! please answer me i need to know
  • Ideally it is not OK.

1. It can be dangerous as they can choke since they cannot handle the food properly when there is a bit in their mouth.
    2. They are focusing on food and not what they are suppose to be doing.
    3. If you do not want them to eat and they are eating then they are not respecting you.

All that said, I do allow a little eating when I am riding, but only when I allow it and only a little so that there is little chance of choking.

Paul
  • thanks but do you have any advice on how to stop him from doing it
  • When my horse starts to go down then I give a gentle tug on the reins. You have to be very proactive with this as once the head is too far down they are going to eat.

Make them work!. If they eat make them to a few circles so that they learn that if they eat with a rider on them then they will have to work, they should learn that it is much better not to eat since most hate doing circles.
  • would pulling them back also work because i know horses dont like to walk backwards either