Quick Post

Good non slip saddle pad

Good non slip saddle pad
  • I've been looking for a good non slip saddle pad for Daisy.  I've been eyeing those ones that have the waffle weave on BOTH sides. Does anyone have one of those?
    What do you think of it, is it really non slip?

I need something super grippy for my little round witherless girl LOL

I'm also on a pretty tight budget, so I'm looking for something used, or something new under $40

• I love the Reinsman "Tacky Too" saddle pads.  They have the waffle weave grip on one side and a rough canvas or suede on the other.  Worked well on my Halfingers before I got saddles that fit them well.

http://www.horse.com/item/reinsman-micro-suede-tacky-too-pad/SLT700155/

this one helps with saddle fit by providing a little lift under the bar and giving better spine clearance.  The rounded design will fit your short-backed donkey better!

http://www.horse.com/item/reinsman-tacky-too-navajo-trail-pad/SLT901606/
  • I use one in the summer and I love it. Besides the non slip, it is great on hot sweaty days. Just spray it off with a hose to clean it and hang it out for about 30 minutes and it is dry! Usually I spray it off while it is still on the horse. Spray one side, wait for the water to run clear off the horse, flip it over and do it again, DONE!
  • HOly cow, ya I can't spend $85 on a pad. I need it grippy on both sides. My saddle does not have fleece on the bars, so that part slips too!

LOL I can only imagine what would happen if I tried to hose the pad off with Daisy wearing it. Donkeys hate water. well, most of them do LOL
  • I'm not a real fan of the "non-slip" concept. You actually want a saddle and pad to have some movement. Pads, saddles, and cinches that don't move cause heat, discomfort, and potential sores for the horse.

While horse conformation and fit can sometimes cause slippage, the most common cause is the rider's position and balance. If you check out a working cowboy's tack, you'll see natural, breathable materials in the pad and cinch, and you'll also see a relatively loose cinch - much looser than most recreational riders would ride with it. What the working cowboy has over most recreational riders is superb balance, riding position and skill.

I think most of us would do much better working on our riding skill rather than looking for stickier and stickier tack. Our horses will thank us for it.
  • I've decided to sell the saddle she has now and get a aussie that is custom stuffed for her. That should reduce slipping.
    the only part I'm worried about it slipping during it mounting, once I gain enough strength to pretty much hop on her while saddled, I should be good ':)' I  can do it bareback, just haven't tried it with a saddle yet.
  • I purchased two Tacky Too pads. While the concept is good, both horses' had rubbing and hair loss at the back of the pad. The edging on these pads was rolled nylon. Our horses are not overweight.
  • WSG - your post makes a whole lot of sense! Well written, and oh, so true. Thanks for sharing it.
  • Got daisy an Aussie saddle, it fit s her well, haven't gotten to ride in it yet. but not planning on getting a non slip pad now, just using a good ole real wool felt one.