Quick Post

HELP TRAINING

HELP TRAINING
  • Hi, So recently I bought my 2 horses that I've been leasing for 3 years(well kind've leasing hard to explain) But anyway One I have been training her name Is Wolfe and she is an Arabian, But there is one problem... She doesn't canter or gallop, All she does is walk and rarely trot unless I really kick her and get her going.... Can anyone help me with training her to trot, I'm thinking of getting spurs, She also rides in a bit( that is if I can get it in) OtherWise her halter... PLEASE help! Thanks!
  • The arab is the most intelligent of all breeds.  Hence it doesn't surprise me at all how well trained Wolfe has got you.  

Do you have a longe line and whip?  If so, Wolfe would benefit from them.  You need to learn how to effectively use the whip to back up your commands.  the first step in training a horse is their basic commands.  If Wolfe refuses to behave or doesn't respond properly, then start her over and INSIST on obedience in everything you ask of her.  there is only one thing a horse wants to know from you, "are you the boss or am I?"  They really don't much care about the answer.  However, if the horse decides they're the boss, you are in serious trouble.  Wolfe is your boss.  This needs to change.

I don't intend to sound rude or mean, just being honest here.  If you are training this horse, your post indicates that it isn't going well.  You might consider the assistance of a professional.

• I get what you are saying, and I do have a professional trainer there, haha, and I do have a whip but, A lot of people say lunge her but she doesn't know how and the trainer I work with doesn't know why she doesn't, do you have any advise on that. But, how can I show her that I'm the boss? Thanks Though!

• If you're stuck inside because of Colorado weather (and my friends there have been riding in shirt sleeves recently so that might not be now) you should look up some videos on lunging. One trick I learned is to point your "belt buckle" behind the girth at all times. Anyway I have a horse that HATES lunging and I always prefer to work in a round pen with no line at all. You have to remember they will move away from pressure and there are ways of applying pressure with body language, eyes and a whip that doesn't even touch them. Always be patient and slow. I'm sure they want to do what you want them to if only they completely understood.

• Okay, let me clarify this a bit...  A whip is an extension to your arm.  It can be used to give a little 'bite' to the command, however is more often than not just there to provide emphasis.  Whips are not for sound effects nor for beating on the horse.  They are an aide, just like your legs and crop when riding.  Also, with an Arab, if they see you are all sound and no bite, they'll quickly learn to ignore the whip just like your horse currently does you and your legs when riding.

The 'why' on your horse's lack of longing training is irrelevant.  Simply concentrate on the lack of training.  When starting out, one must be behind the neutral on a horse whilst longing.  IE; you must be somewhat to the rear of the horse and your whip out towards the horse.  He must be within reach of the lash in order to keep the impetus (or threat, if you will) of the whip moving him forward.  It's a delicate thing getting them started out in this.  They must be willing to move forward, however if there is resistance you must provide just enough... encouragement... to keep him moving without panicking him.  Usually just swinging out the lash, without touching him, will do the job.  Keep behind the neutral in order to keep him moving.  

If he bolts, move to the centre and take a neutral posture (dropping down the end of your whip), still holding the line.  It is best to also have a chain under his chin, for brakes.  Don't yank on it, just bump it and move now forward of the neutral.  This should bring him to a halt.  Reward him if he stops.   This is why it is best to start out in a small, square pen.  About twenty-four feet square is best, if possible.  Later a sixty foot pen will do.  Failing these, the corner of an Arena will do.  If need be, you can use jump standards for a barrier in the Arena (that is if no one else is needing the whole rail).  If the horse bolts in the smaller pen, move forward of the neutral and crowd him into a corner.   this is another place where the whip is an extension of your arm (you'll have to switch hands with it and the line.  Hold it straight out as a barrier.  Don't get in front of him, just crowd him into a corner and stop him.   Again, if he stops, drop the end of the whip and reward him for stopping on your command.

If the horse moves forward away from the pressure (you being behind the neutral position and the whip held out) release the pressure a touch (lower the whip) and praise him verbally.  If you ask for a walk, that's what the horse should do, immediately without delay.  Same for a trot or canter.  As to the faster speeds, it's kind of like shifting a car.  Never (at this point anyway) ask for the faster speeds without the slower first.  Your car doesn't start out in third gear.  It starts in first (walk for your horse), as should your horse.  

In the beginning, you will find yourself walking in circles somewhat behind the centre of your horse's.  Eventually, you will be able to stand still and your horse circle around you.  However, yours is an Arab, so don't let him out of your reach (with your arm extension, the whip) for the time being.

Best of luck!  This is the most basic of training techniques.  You must master it before doing anything else with the horse.  The next step is long-lining, however that's a whole treatise of its own and not for this stage.

• THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH.... Hunterseat lol its been snowing and cold!