Quick Post

Slow down the lope

Slow down the lope
  • Hi, I was wondering how everyone slows down a horse's WP lope.  I'm not looking for the normal slow, but I'd like to be able to keep my horse from basically racing.  My horse will lope perfectly in the round pen, but outside of it and in the show ring he's a disaster.  Thanks [:)]
  • just work with him until he slows down
    Get him into a lope then when he starts to go faster than you want him to slow him down if he drops to a trot get him back to a lope and slow him down when he starts to move to fast, just keep doin that he'll get it eventually and do what you want him too, my horse does the same thing except he's kinda short so his stride makes it seem like hes moving faster than he really is lol
    good luck!
  • There are a few different ways to do this.  You can pick up on him ask for collection and that should help some, sort of like you are checking him up.  You can also work on loping circles in the bigger areana, this keeps them slower, and helps them get balanced.  These are the two ways I would work on it. 

Here are somethings I have seen others do, but aren't for me.
    Go to a next level up in bit, that way when you pick up on him he knows he needs to shut down.  Everytime he starts to speed up make him stop, then try again.  Ride him WAY down before so he is dog tired.

You know your horse best and I am sure can figure out what will work for both of you as a team.
  • I had the same problem with my mare...she is a retired barrle horse so most of her life thats all she did was run run run......So like TanyaC97 i up her in a little stronger but not to to bad but just enough to give her that" WTF" she did well and i worked her every other day  i would lounge her for 10min when i worked on the lope i did 2 things......1 when my mare would start picking up speed i would  stop and do role back untill when i ask her to lope she would take off very nicely and lope 5or 6 stride than that was the lesson......2nd way whe nshe would get realy fast i would put her in a very tight circle.....i would do the circles till she would lope nicely for 5-6 strides.......Its now been almost a year and a half and m my mare does a very nice lope thank god.....Hope this helps