Quick Post

Elk Camp 2012 Hells Canyon

Elk Camp 2012 Hells Canyon
  • Back from elk camp, archery season, on the Oregon side of Hells Canyon. No good shots worked out with the elk but my husband did get a bear with his bow. The elk were wild the first week then shut up and disappeared. There is a growing wolf population out there which is adversely affecting the elk and the ranchers' cattle. Whoever thought putting wolves back out there ought to be shot, but that's my opinion. Anyhow it was a great trip but very dry, bad fires all around and a little spooky because of the fire danger. Sally Mule did awesome. I put 30 days on her under saddle before the trip and she was great.  Packing in Summit Ridge  Riding to camp on auto-pilot  A water hole  Through Sally's ears
  • more pics: my husband, his horse, and his dog  Apple pie baked in the Dutch Oven  Me and my Mule   my husband's bear  packing first load out
  • Questions so far:
    1. How many of you were there? People & horses?
    2. How long did you stay?
    3. Did you dehydrate stuff and prep in advance like usual?
    4. Is this the warmest it's been for Elk camp?
    5. Will you go back during rifle season?
    6. Did you see a wolf?
    7. Have you ever seen the movie Gray?
    8. Did you know Jen/DoubleBarrel was given 1/2 of a bear and she makes meatloaf w/bear&lamb that she says is great! Ya'll can swap recipes!
    9. How old was that bear? Her's was 3 or 4.
    Can you hug your horses/mule for me? [':)'] They did SOOO good! I love this!
  • My husband and I brought 4 equines: Sweet Pea, Peach, Sally Mule and Thunder. One of his friends and their wife joined us for 5 days, they brought 3 mules and 1 horse of their own..... My husband and I were in the backcountry for 10 days.... I didn't have as much time to do fancy food prep, with a full time job and farm to run, but did throw in some dehydrated veggies to add to soups and stews. Packed in all kinds of good stuff though - fresh eggs, meat, spuds and onions all form the farm. Flour, sugar, baking powder and shortening for Dutch Oven baking. We never seem to lose any weight out there.... It was quite warm, I think there had been hotter days in the past but we had some warm nights and most of all no rain, and very dry.... Did not get to see wolves but there was wolf sign and sightings had been made by other hunters out on the far ends of the ridges about the same time the elk quit talking..... a little spooky, knowing they are out there. I am not a supporter of wolves. I have had a Malamute/ Wolf hybrid turn on me and I do not have any romantic notions about the nature of these animals. They are a top predator, and ruthless. Most of the introduction attempts have resulted in wolf populations that far exceeded the initial propostions along with migration patterns much broader than foreseen..... The bear was not a big guy, maybe on his second year.... my husband was putting the sneak on it just to see how close he could get, at 30 yards he decided to nock an arrow and made a good shot. Bear meat is similar to pork and makes nice sausage and hams. I wish there had been more lard, the fat is great for pie crusts, but he wasn't a big bear and it has been a bad summer for all in that part of the country. Plants that usually stay green through the summer are all dried up, and the food chain is struggling from there on up to the big predators. Hubby caped out the bear pelt nicely with head, ears, paws intact, will make a nice little rug.
  • So wonderful to see your posts 3equines!
    Always sooo interesting.

• Thanks! I just love your adventures! 10 days! Were there any streams to bathe in? (you know you love someone if.... HAHAHA) I can see me and Jeff out there. "Shewie! We stink! Oh well!" [':D'

Sounds like the dry summer has taken its toll. I'm hoping there will be enough for the wild critters to eat over the winter.
  • I expect the elk and deer to do poorly and wolves to do well this winter. We pack water up to camp using the horses and 7-gallon Aquatainers, creek is about 300 yards below camp. Heat it up on the woodstove and make do for bathing. There is so much dust, I would wash my hair, step outside to do something with the horses and be covered in dust again in not time flat. Not to mention how it blows into all the corners of camp, covering all surfaces. You just get over it and wonder how people ever survived living out there year round in the old days.
  • Thanks for sharing all your wonderful pictures.  Sally mule sure is worth her weight in gold, huh?  She's got good models in your mares too!

What do you do for feed? 
  • What an adventure!! Thanks for the wonderful pictures!
  • the grass out there is loaded with nutrients, even when dried out. There are still patched of greener grass around the trees, so I turn the horses out morning and evening in their hobbles to graze. Pack in enough grain to give them a little treat in their nosebags when they are put back on the highline, but they don't really need it.
  • The pie looks yummy, btw!