Quick Post

Winter riding

Winter riding
  • Nothing too adventuresome, but my fiancee and I have been getting out and riding on a fairly regular basis the past month.  We trid to find some trails in the Agency Creek area in the Coast range, made it as far as a camping area but the only 2 trails we found were not fit for horses - one of them the footing was so bad the horses were sinking up to their hocks in loose soil and the other had bridges made of planks over a single log stringer.  As usual, there were no maps of the trails even though they have been around for awhile, we'd heard by word of mouth that people ride horses year round there.  So we rode up the logging roads in the snow...

that's my fiancees daughter on her horse, Blue.  She got a new SMX saddle pad for Christmas.  My fiancee is riding in his "new" roping saddle ;).

We've been riding at a friend's farm in Carlton, Oregon quite a bit, we have acess to an adacent property making about 400 acres of woods and hayfields on hilly terrain, a nice place to exercise the ponies

yesterday we took my green horse, Crystal out with us, put a saddle and snaffle bit on her - she's not been broke to rode, just groundwork - and ponied her around.

Hope to get down to Corvallis sometime in the next month and explore the OSU trails again, might be easier to navigate this time of year with the underbrush bare. We were there in the summer and got into some brush choked waytrails, we were with some older and more cautious riders so we had to can the adventurous part and stick to the logging roads.  Nobody had a decent map of the area, either.  Now I have a cool little GPS unit that shows topo maps, it would be handy for navigating the trail system there.

• Very Nice!! Thanks for sharing and it looks like the new saddle is working out great!!!
  • Yep, sweetheart has been on 3 rides since Christmas!!! I think that's a record.  His horse, Thunder, is really down in his weight, we are trying to ride him on short rides more often along with feeding him up on alfalfa, beet pulp and grain to build up his topline again.

The saddle is a very close fit at this point, only about a finger's width between the underside of the fork and the top of the withers, but it doesn't make contact there and as Thunder's weight and muscle comes up the saddle will clear his withers better.  Otherwise it makes nice even contact under the bars, which will help with the muscle atrophy behind the shoulder.

We dissected the old saddle and found it was truely broken:

the horn lifted right out of the tree

• Sounds like it was time for a new one.  Glad you found out the old one needed replacing....never thought about taking one apart but maybe.......  While on the subject of saddles I looked at an old one of mine. While on the subject of saddles I looked at an old one of mine.  No real knowledge of what it is but it rather looks like a leather bareback pad.  It is padded underneath like an english saddle but has no tree.  I had new billets put in years ago.  They seem to still be sound and I am thinking of digging out a girth and stirrups/leathers and seeing just how this will work on Harley.  Guess the first thing to do would be to give it a good cleaning.  Rather dusty.

Hope everyone has a great day.  Glad to see Hunter 'lurking' here.
  • Great pictures.  We're trail riders out here in Southern Oregon.  Is the black horse a Fox Trotter or Tennessee Walker?  Have you ever been to Quinn Meadows out by Sisters, Oregon.  It is some pretty riding and a great campground to boot!  Take care and happy trails.

• [quote=theblackmare]

Great pictures.  We're trail riders out here in Southern Oregon.  Is the black horse a Fox Trotter or Tennessee Walker?  Have you ever been to Quinn Meadows out by Sisters, Oregon.  It is some pretty riding and a great campground to boot!  Take care and happy trails.

Nice to hear from you!  The blue roan under saddle is just a grade QH type mare, born on the open range in eastern Oregon and sold at auction by the pound.  The little mare being ponied is a Morgan.  "Blue" the roan has nice, collected movement but she is a little unpredictable at times, prone to bucking. 

I'm in Yamhill County, OR, recent transplant from the very NW corner of Washington State.  Have been as far south as the Mt McLaughlin/ Sky Lakes regions in the Cascades, also explored around Mt Jefferson/Duffy Lake/8 Lakes Basin a couple times.  Still looking for local trails to ride in the county, not a whole lot of public land in these parts.
  • Check with OleBean. He lives up in the Vernonia area and might know of areas close to you where you can ride. Around here, I know some people who have ridden the old Santiam Wagon Road, though I have not.  http://www.oregonhistorictrailsfund.org/trails/showtrail.php?id=16  I would think this ride is one for drier weather.  BTW, welcome to OR. I was surprised when I saw 'Willamette Valley' as your location because I remembered all those Washington trail pictures you posted. [&:]
  • Pictures are really too good very nice and Thanks for sharing it great work.
    ======================
    Earl