Quick Post

Are your horses shedding?

Are your horses shedding?
  • Since the first day of Spring is just around the corner, have you gotten your shedding tools out yet? 
  • Hey DB!  Great to see you! [':D']  I think putting heat lamps in my run-in, the 2 out there don't have as much fur on them.   Either way, no one seems to be shedding much at the moment.  I'll vote no for now, but reserve my right to change my mind when the first hairs stick to my sweater!
  • Fur has been flying for a couple weeks here. It would help if someone actually did some grooming. [8D]
  • Some are some arn't
  • Reidar seems to be an all or nothing kinda guy.  Last week he had some hairs flying.  Yesterday it was coming out in fist fulls with his right side almost completely free of the 3 inch long hairs that had been covering his whole body.  He's not slicked out by any means but his winter coat is going away quite rapidly.  I keep telling him winter is a long way from over, but he doesn't seem to care... I think his full winter coat was a bit overkill anyway. 
  • Okay, NOW they are! 
  • My guys started back in January, then it got cold again and they're kind of holding onto it for now since it's dropped into the 30's again.  The ponies were throwing chunks!
  • My horses are not only shedding hair, but MUD!!!  OMG- my buckskin I believe, is part pig!!!!!!!!!!!!  I used to own pigs. I believe they were cleaner.
  • diablo is starting to shed a little, everyonce and a while ill find a few hairs on my shirt but its still kind of cold here at night so he's still fuzzy ^.^
  • Yes and rolling in the mud.so I don't plan on brushing anytime soon.
  • Ooooooh yes. My grey has started about 3 weeks ago, slowly first, now it's in full swing (I swear, the white hairs are following me everywhere,[';)']), the two bays and the chestnut are just starting now.

• Stood there scratching the 26 yr. old paint mare, Dakota who just arrived Sat. and it now looks like a medium sized animal died there!  Spirit is leaving white patches where he rolls.  Bet the birds are loving it!  Of course, today it is misting, breezy and cold, poor things!
  • Depending on where you live, your horse might grow a very thick hair coat... Tips on Springtime Horse Shedding. Horse shedding is a fact of horse ownership.
    ==========================
    Earl Nunes
  • Started shedding 3 weeks ago when we were in the 80's during the day......now we are back in the 50's.......rain...cold mornings.....in the 30's this week! Burrrrrrr!

• Just got back from feeding the boys.  It is 4 below zero out there and they have frost on their whiskers, manes, necks...places where they are not blanketed.  Tried to brush the frost from Harley's neck and...he is shedding!  He must know something that isn't yet obvious to me.  Spring must be on its way!