Quick Post

Are your horses shedding?

Are your horses shedding?
  • My husband's horse is shedding fairly heavy.  Mine is barely shedding at all which is fine with me.  Last spring everything bloomed at once, she had a major allergic reaction, and almost went bald.  Bald is not a good look on horses.  She has a crazy thick winter coat this year so I'm hoping she sheds it out only, not the summer coat with it. ':)'
  • Our paint always looks normal in the winter and then he does the fly allergy thing in the summer and rubs himself bald.  He has such a thin coat he has no protection.

Our leopard spot pony is practically shooting hair off of him right now!  I was just rubbing his face the other day and it was like it was snowing ':)'
  • Our paint always looks normal in the winter and then he does the fly allergy thing in the summer and rubs himself bald.  He has such a thin coat he has no protection.

Spoke with an equine vet earlier this winter about this problem.  He said that "they" are working on a vaccine for it.  I assume he meant Cornell University, but am not sure.  Hoping to see him as soon as he is back from his winter in Florida so I can ask more

Hopefully, there is hope....or you put a full fly sheet, face/neck hood, and bandages around to keep the little pests off the horse.  This same vet has a horse that is dressed this way when it is out in the paddock in the summer.  Looks strange, but is seems to work.  Keeping the horse in with a fan blowing on him seems to help.  Most flies do not seem to like the wind.