Quick Post

Vineyard Classic CDE, Woodland Ca.

Vineyard Classic CDE, Woodland Ca.
  • Okay... I tried this several hours ago and the DSL connection went south.   Then one of the ponies came in off the main road and scared the bejebers out of us.  I had to go out and walk the fence to make sure it wasn't down.  Not that it really matters.  The horses stay in by the honour system around here more than by good fencing.  I HAVE to get the fence rebuilt along the road.  this is nutz!

Well... that was a bit too much information I suppose.  ANYWAY, here's a few photos from the Vineyard Classic Combined Driving Event at the Woodland Stallion Station, Woodland Ca:

This is Beverly Ann White with her beautiful Welsh mare Beaverwoods Balsa.  These aren't too very good.  I really liked the vehicle and thought someone else also might.  this is a wicker spider Phaeton, full platform gear (all the four-wheeled vehicles at the event were full platform).

This is Jason Stronks of Riverside, CA.  He's a dressage, general riding, and driving trainer in either Woodcrest or Norco, I'm not sure which.  Hey Dana!  Here's the fellow you need to talk to in order to get that pony going.

I'll post more later and over the next few days as time permits.  right now I'm so tired my eyes are slamming shut.

Here's a link to the Picassa albumn:

https://picasaweb.google.com/101819196409529558537/VineyardClassicCDE?authkey=Gv1sRgCK3FoOCs1OqluAE
  • Lovely! [':)']
  • Thank you for sharing!!  I don't recognize the name but I'll look into it.  If he's in Woodcrest, he's close!  We're on the edge of Woodcrest.

• [quote=danastark]

Thank you for sharing!!  I don't recognize the name but I'll look into it.  If he's in Woodcrest, he's close!  We're on the edge of Woodcrest.

His website shows a Hibiscus Ave address in Woodcrest and a Corona Avenue address in Norco.  Both will be easy access for you.

Well, this is my second try.  It's far too easy with Chrome to accidentally close a session and I did so after nearly completing this post.   So here's the second try:

This lovely turnout is Paula Hagen and Chiraz put to a sporting (Spider) Phaeton.  She gained penalty points in Presentation for her groom being too formally dressed.  The horse is wearing a *** collar and the vehicle is a "sporting type", thus the formal livery was considered by the judge to be out of place.  He should have been wearing "stable livery" for this turnout.  This is why the majority of us hate Presentation.

I don't remember this lady's name and can't read the number on the turnout.  However, it's a good example of a vehicle too large for the driver.  The hat isn't too large, it's a helmet cover over a troxel helmet.  They're called Mad Hatters.  Kinda make one look a bit like him too.  Either that or like a kid who's run off with Mum's hat again.

This is Eli Decker and Silvandra's Magical Me of Yuba City.  Would you believe this young man is only twelve years old (going on thirteen you know)!  He did very well, placing in the ribbons both this weekend and two weeks ago at clay station.  Eli also earned an award for his performance this year from the ADS (American Driving Society).

Ginny Leal and her Halflinger mare Dancer of Auburn Ca.  Note the absence of springs.  This vehicle is torsion-bar suspended.  I understand they ride and handle very well.

This is Tracy Bowman with Taylormore Laurabelle, a Welsh Cob of Martinez.  Notice the straps going over her shoulders.  Tracy was one of the four handicapped drivers this weekend.  She and the others were nothing short of inspiring!  I loved her horse!!  What a beauty!  Took more pictures of Tracy and Laura than any other turnout this weekend.

This is Stephanie Putnam and Cooper Monroe a Lusitano Morgan cross.  Cooper was borrowed this weekend as Stephanie's horse was laid up with some issue or other.  Take a close look at this lady's hands.  enlarge the picture and look closely.  she has no use of them.  Taking that into account and that she was driving an unfamilliar horse, makes her second place this weekend A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!  this girl was so awe-inspiring it brought tears to my eyes.  Yeah, I admit to literally crying whilst watching her do the course!  Stephanie just takes my breath away!  Her parents must be enviably proud of this young lady who not only trains several days a week, but also keeps a full course schedule at college!

Well, that's all I have time for today.  I'm already two days late getting home.  Hope everyone has a great week.

• A pleasure, sir!! 
  • Silvandra's Magical Me looks like my Magoo! 

This is pretty cool Stude!
  • Odd, I thought Magoo was a horse.  Silly me, I must have gotten something mixed up.

We had several teams this weekend.  One was a Unicorn (that is to say three in lieu of four with only one leader) of Halflingers the other was a team of German Riding Ponies (welsh cob crossed with Holsteiners). 

That's Stan Packard of Clay Station Horse Park (owner and proprietor) in Wilton with Razzle, Major, Kingston, and Bodie (I'm not sure who was left out), Halflinger ponies (???).

This is Frank Lutz of Templeton with Nonios, Nixon, Donna and Rocco.  Frank had a deal of trouble with the near wheeler on this team.  He was a wicked kicker and wouldn't behave.  This seemed to throw the whole team off and they did poorly all around.  Frank put a great deal of work into the one pony but he just wouldn't behave himself.  The groom on the near side is Corina Kahn, the owner of the turnout whom was obviously not pleased with Frank.  She got down to fix something on that wicked wheeler and he kicked viciously at her.  She got back on the carriage in a state of high dudgeon.  Corina was also competing with another pair of these ponies, Odin and Joshua who actually did quite well:

• Don't call Haffies ponies! [';)'] So I've been told by Haffie afficianados. Nor Icelandics either. nevermind they're normally under 14.2! [':D']

OH, and Appy's are horses if they're over 14hh. So technically a 14.2 Appy is a horse. [':D']
  • LOL was that not the name of the horse? I don't know the grey one with the twelve yr. old boy...steering [>:] lol
  • [canaddcustomcolors="true"][stripabsoluteimagespaths="false"][commoninternalparameters="u2tpblbhdggsrmfsc2usmcxmmupowkvodmjuunlimnh6tdbwa2fyunzjatluytjsdwn5ouvav1pozfd4me1qqxdoatg9"]LOL, not my fault!  They were entered as ponies, as were the rest of the Haffies in the show!  American Driving Society and Federation Internationale Equestre recognize both breeds as ponies weather the afficionados like it or not.  Besides, if they were entered as horses the time penalties would kill them.

[font="ms sans serif"][size=3]speaking of Fjords, here's a shot of Stormin' Norman with Debbi Packard as whip (yes, wife of Stan, driver of Haffie Unicorn):[/size][/font]

• Having a devil of a time with the posting system here in Fawn Lodge.  Must be that my browser is too old, or whatever...

Hunter, I have heard the same about Haffies and Fjords.  That's why all the question marks after the word 'ponies'.  Besides, look at the size of Stan's team.  Those ain't ponies!  Yet, that's what he's entered as.