Quick Post

My New Paint Mare

My New Paint Mare

• I have only taken a few pictures (I know, silly me) of my new mare, these are just my boyfriend and her muddy self being silly.

I was told she's 15.3, but she seems so much smaller than that to me.  Then again, I'm used to be being around 17+ horses.  

I already love this girl to death, she's a super special horse, in your pocket with a loving a fun personality.  She's everything I've looked for in a horse and was lucky enough to find.  

And our first ride!

• Oh, she's a trail horse, that's my favorite place to be ':)' And she's 4, turning 5 in May.  
  • NICE SPOTS!!  [':D'] Love that you're in a helmet!! She looks perfect for you! I love tall horses, myself. 
  • She's a lovely girl!

You might want to stick measure her - some people aren't the greatest on estimating horse height.  When I went horse shopping I saw a few that were claimed to be 16 that at most were 14.2-14.3.  Then again I was skeptical about my new mare being over 16 hands as she didn't look as big as Apache and I know he is between 15.3-16 hands and I never in a million years would have though I would be really comfortable on a horse that tall!  But when I sticked her she was just shy of 16.1 hands!  She is just narrower and that makes a huge difference on how big a horse seems.
  • [quote=hunterseat]

NICE SPOTS!!  [':D'] Love that you're in a helmet!! She looks perfect for you! I love tall horses, myself. 

Oh yes, I always ride in a helmet.  It's become ingrained in me.  
    I love taller horses too! Except I can't get on them from the ground (which I know is bad for our backs and the horses), but I'm embarrassed being the only one having to climb up the trailer to mount.  I'm just not strong enough.  

[quote=jungle_cat]

She's a lovely girl!     You might want to stick measure her - some people aren't the greatest on estimating horse height.  When I went horse shopping I saw a few that were claimed to be 16 that at most were 14.2-14.3.  Then again I was skeptical about my new mare being over 16 hands as she didn't look as big as Apache and I know he is between 15.3-16 hands and I never in a million years would have though I would be really comfortable on a horse that tall!  But when I sticked her she was just shy of 16.1 hands!  She is just narrower and that makes a huge difference on how big a horse seems.  She's a lovely girl!     You might want to stick measure her - some people aren't the greatest on estimating horse height.  When I went horse shopping I saw a few that were claimed to be 16 that at most were 14.2-14.3.  Then again I was skeptical about my new mare being over 16 hands as she didn't look as big as Apache and I know he is between 15.3-16 hands and I never in a million years would have though I would be really comfortable on a horse that tall!  But when I sticked her she was just shy of 16.1 hands!  She is just narrower and that makes a huge difference on how big a horse seems. 

I think I may be the one who's not great at estimating height!  She may be that tall, but I do want to actually measure her.  Today we rode with a gelding who is definitely 16+ hands and a bit taller than Addie. As you said, I'm used to larger horses being larger all around, and she's a bit more narrow than I'm used to for a horse that would be pushing towards 16 hands.  

In the end though, it doesn't really matter.  She can support my weight and is a blast to ride.  We are joining up under saddle, at liberty and at work on the ground faster than I could have imagined.  She's amazing.  I feel so lucky that, well, she found me ':)'

Hopefully I can have some better pictures for you guys once it warms up.  It hasn't been warm enough to give her a bath and she's a dirty girl. ':D'
  • Congratulations on your new horse, and welcome to the forum! You can buy waterless cleaners for horses. I've used them and they work pretty well.
  • [quote=Durangogramma]

Congratulations on your new horse, and welcome to the forum! You can buy waterless cleaners for horses. I've used them and they work pretty well.

That would be awesome, do you have any suggestions on ones that work well?  She's getting stained all over and being black and WHITE she just looks messy ':)'':P'
  • I have some at the barn. I'll check the brand and get back to you.
  • Thank you so much!
  • Just thought I'd share to twp pictures from yesterday.  One right before the naughtiness begins.  I think it's hilarious because you can see the beginning if the head pitching. I see myself starting to make contact with her mouth, so this must have not been the first time she did this, I was ready.  Ignore my layers of clothes that had ridden up.

And my very first official day of ownership picture after the ride:

• I have two kinds of "horse cleaner". One is Cowboy Magic's Green Spot Remover. The other is Absorbine's Miracle Groom 'Bath in a Bottle'. They both come in trigger sprayer bottles. You spray it on a terry towel and then rub it backwards through their hair. Both are good, but I prefer the Miracle Groom stuff.
  • [quote=Durangogramma]

I have two kinds of "horse cleaner". One is Cowboy Magic's Green Spot Remover. The other is Absorbine's Miracle Groom 'Bath in a Bottle'. They both come in trigger sprayer bottles. You spray it on a terry towel and then rub it backwards through their hair. Both are good, but I prefer the Miracle Groom stuff.

Thank you so much! I'll look into getting that!