Quick Post

My new fleet

My new fleet
  • I'll leave Joyce to display her vehicles.  After all, half the fun is the bragging rights, right?[;)][:D]

Okay, first is the Whitechapel cart.  It's a typical British vehicle from around the late nineteenth to early twentieth century:

There's no rot in the wheels that I can find.  However, they're badly dried out.  The way this vehicle sloughed off the paint and how dried out the woodwork is, leads me to believe it might have been imported directly from England by John Traina.  I wish we could have gotten the story behind each of the vehicles.

The second is a type of Tray Gig.  They were also popular during the same period.  This one is interesting in that it was set up originally with axle-draft on the single tree.  A very unusual arrangement for a British pleasure vehicle.

The wheels on this vehicle are rotten.  They look like they were replaced recently as they're of a recent type and make.  Also, the shafts of this vehicle were broken when the hearse ahead of it collapsed.  Had not the single tree been in the position it is in, the shafts would not have resisted as much and might have been spared.  Ah well, such is life.  Shafts and wheels I can get.

My last is an Auto-top Surrey.  It was manufactured by McLaughlin of Canada.  Originally a beautiful vehicle, the last two owners were hard on it.  Traina, by neglect, and previous to him, by abuse.  The frame is broken on the left side.  However, this is repairable and I'm rather hoping to do this and sell the vehicle off to pay for wheels and shafts for the other two vehicles.  With this goofy economy, we'll see how that goes.

Even with the broken frame and the cracked body panels, this vehicle is in decent shape.  The upholstery is good as are the wheels.  Additionally, the patent leather is decent and it has a good top.  Thus, I think a bit of work and this vehicle should sell rather well.  Might have to change the liner in the top though.  Not sure.  The only problem is colour.  The upholstery is buff and the top liner is red.  They by rights should match.  I'll have to think about that.  love the front seat.  Those seat backs swing around allowing both of the seats to separately face forward or backwards.  That little Driver's seat can be disconnected and folded up to store in the well under the front seat.   All the same, straightened out, the vehicle has a lot going for it and it should sell for between two and three thousand dollars.  I'll have to decide if adding a pole would be a good investment.

Can't wait to go get them!![:D]
  • Glad to see you were able to get some projects at the auction.  You sound happy.

Keep us updated with pictures as you transform them into the beauties they can/will be.
  • Well Connie, I do hope you're patient.  Carriages are as slow to refresh/restore as they are to drive, LOL![':D']  Hopefully the wheels on the Tray Gig can be repaired.  If only the Fellows are bad, they can be re-done.  If not... well... the shipping is almost as much as the wheels.[>:]  It's a crap shoot on the Whitechapel's wheels.  They might actually be repairable.  then again, they might also be too far gone.  The Surrey's wheels on the other hand are excellent.  Hence the reason I'm so hopeful about it.  Still, most of these are projects for this winter.[';)']
  • Nifty! Hope you have a nice big shop or barn to put them in.
  • Whoa! You got THREE!!  Very nice!! Now you need a couple more horses!  [':D'] Will they fit the big girls?
  • How neat!!  You sound so invigorated by the whole thing ':)'  I can just picture Riverdance clipping along the road pulling the first cart ':)'  congratulations!!
  • Thanks anyway Hunter, but two is quite enough.[':D']  As to the vehicles, one for nice, and one for show.  Haven't made up my mind which will be which.   Like I said before, the Surrey will be for resale.[';)']

Yeah Dana, I can't wait either![':D']
  • OK, here it is!! I can't wait to get it home! It's a European pony Phaeton. When we went to see the carriages this one really caught my fancy and I just had to have it! Hmm, now to figure out what horse is going to pull it. Oh well, I have time, it will be a bit before it will be ready to put to a horse anyway. It will be fun getting it restored.
  • Aw c'mon Joyce, show 'em the rear suspension on that little jewell![':D']  Kids, this thing is suspended like a top-of-the-line Carriage![8D]  Oh, and show them the bow.  This vehicle is likely Russian or Eastern European.  Pity that the shafts didn't come with it.  Those bows can be such fun as they are traditionally painted in bright floral patterns.  Joyce got a really good score on this one![':D']

Oh and here's an idea; if the wheels are completely shot (which I seriously doubt), then let's replace them and the axles with American and put two sized wheels to it.  That is to say a small set like it currently has, and a second, larger set.  Then you can drive it with a pair of the minis as well as Crystal (Morgan).  The way the fenders are set up you could have wheels as much as a foot taller.  That's at least 30"X42" for the large set which would set the vehicle up perfectly for Crystal.

• Oh, wouldn't Crystal look wonderful put to this carriage! Here are more pics of the carriage. Can't wait to be able to really look it over and form a plan for repairs. Hey, anyone have a brown 37" mini gelding for sale? Need to find one to pair with Ben for my mini pair. Don't need another horse, don't need another horse, don't need another horse. Not working. Sigh. Grrr, I cannot figure out how to upload more than one pic at a time!
  • I cannot figure out how to upload more than one pic at a time!

I just try to remember to select as many as I want and then click on upload.  Otherwise, I think you would have to add them by editing.  Happy you got such a great vehicle.
  • I did try both those methods to upload more pictures but both failed. I even tried to copy and paste. Oh well.
  • There is a size limit (kb) per post. You would have to cut down the 'size' of each picture in order to upload more per post.