Quick Post

What's the best place in the US?

What's the best place in the US?
  • Have I done this before?

I want to hear from some lurkers out there.  If you don't want to log in but have an awesome idea, please email me at emmons_e (AT) hotmail. Seriously. It will give us something cheap to do. [:D]

I'm trying to discover the best place to settle down/retire where we can get a little piece of land, build a home (so land and lumber have to be affordable). We'd love it to be somewhere in Texas but green trees is a must and nearby water is a plus. In another year or two I'm going to start looking for another job in the federal gov't if it hasn't gone broke by then so if I get several good ideas I can apply to jobs in several areas.

Mahalo! [:)]

• The 10 acres across from me is for sale, year round stream, willow trees!
  • and Chatter just mentioned California this morning. [':)']
  • A lot of veterans in SW MO get jobs at the Federal Medical Center Prison in Springfield, MO. Compared to a lot of the country, SW MO is a fairly inexpensive place to live. No shortage of green trees, lakes, rivers and streams around here either.
  • And the Ozarks are so wonderful. I love to see your pictures. My mind keeps coming back to MO. When I was in Mississippi Jeff kept calling it Missouri. I'm not sure he fully realizes the difference, but it's so pretty there!! I enjoyed the trip I made to help Broken A move. [&o]
  • I may be partial, but southwestern Wisconsin is just beautiful. The glacier didn't go through there so we have lots of hills and valleys there, pastureland, forests, and many rivers and lakes. Do a google search of the Driftless Area in Wisconsin. My other favorite place is Black Forest, Colorado. Very pretty out there. And very horse-oriented too, although no rivers or lakes in that area.
  • Thanks Remali!  I think Wisconsin is an overlooked area. Of course it's pretty cold there but...  Got the horses from LaCrosse, is it? Where the ASAP farm is. That was pretty, except for the freezing rain driving up there. I saw ice fishermen, though!! I asked what that body of water was.... like a big long lake. DUH, the Mississippi River. NUH-UH!! I drove up from Mississippi and that river was THERE when I left! That was the strangest thing. Of course I was overtired and hallucinating on that drive but still.... you'd think I'd have known. [':)']
  • Up North Minnesota.  Its beautiful up there!  There is some cheep land up there! It's my dream to live up there! 
  • And Double Barrel lives up there. She just posted on fb that she can see the Northern Lights in a distance. 
  • huh?  what?  [&:]

are you kidding????   our 2-4inches of new snow turned into 6" for me... about 12" east and north

Hunterseat... is my room ready?  

• Haha, Awesome!! I have only seen those once!! They were awesome!  Ya, Hunter is the room ready yet?? LOL  Tired of this snow!! 

Nice to meet you DB![':)']
  • YES room(s) ready! And couch and loveseat and air mattresses too. Everyone's welcome! [':D']