Quick Post

Hi Everyone, New from Texas

Hi Everyone, New from Texas
  • Hey everyone,

I have been riding horses for the majority of my life and just recently purchased a new paint mare who is turning 5 in May.  She's simply a dream.  

This is the second horse that I will have owned.  The first horse was misrepresented to me and I made the horribly common and devastating mistake of green horse/green rider.  I thought because of my riding experience I would be able to handle training a horse that was untrained (although I did not know that at the time.)  Long story short, I had a terrible accident which left me unable to ride for many years, and after losing 100lbs, I am finally back in the saddle.

I decided it's time to make better decisions and an amazing horse fell into my lap.  We have a few issues to work though, that's for sure, but I believe she's my heart horse and I can't wait to share some pictures of her with you all.  Right now she's boarded at her former owners house, about 50 minutes away and I get to work with her/ride her about 2 - 3 days a week.  Hopefully I will be able to find a boarding facility closer to me in June.

I'm excited to be here and share my experiences with you all and have you share yours with me.  :)
  • Welcome Aubree.
    Nice to have you here.
    I am near San Antone and Austin. We have Indian shufflers and Danes.
    The rest of the group will be along to welcome you shortly. [':D']
    Join us over in the General Chat daily thread.
  • I'm new to Texas so it's great to 'meet' another Texan!  
    Let me ask you, I've gotten used to giant cockroaches coming inside when it's cold, but today it was finally warm.  Why did I find a giant cockroach inside ... AGAIN??!  lol

I surely will come join you, and thank you very much for the welcome. ':)'
  •  Welcome, Aubree.  Glad to have you here. It won't take you long to get to know all of us.  Glad you have found what promises to be your special heart horse.
  • Umm, [8|] We don't have giant or otherwise cockroaches?

• [quote=Connie]

Welcome, Aubree.  Glad to have you here. It won't take you long to get to know all of us.  Glad you have found what promises to be your special heart horse.

I'm glad to be here!  I feel like she's my special horse too.  Originally I was looking to lease a horse to ride but we really just clicked.  She's incredibly in tune with my body language, and even when she's testing me I can't help but laugh at her inside my head a big.  She's really a special girl.  I can't wait to bond with her.

Dane, there certain are cockroaches!!!  Or am I supposed to call them Palmetto Bugs?  I get confused.
  • Welcome, Aubree!  Glad you are back in the saddle ':)'  Congrats on the weightloss, too!

I'm in SoCal, we get black widows, of course and 5" long centipedes!!  We do have cockroaches but they are about 1" long, not the huge ones.....

What kind of riding do you do, mostly trail?
  • I'm from Northern California but just recently moved to Texas.  I have family all over Southern California, some in the LA area, Escondido and San Juan Capistrano.  Where are you from?  I HATE centipedes.  Especially house centipedes.  

Thanks for the congrats on the weight loss, I still have a ways to go.  Especially to help with my back, I need to loss at least 60lbs, we will see how it goes.  

I have done all kinds of riding throughout my life from Western Pleasure, Hunter Seat, general English and Dressage.  At this point I trail ride.  It's where my heart is.  I may take my mare in different directions to teach us both new skills, but I like to ride out and she loves it too.  What I love most about trail riding is that I'm able to use all the skills I've learned in all the different disciplines on the trail, no matter what kind of saddle I'm in.

As much as I love to trail ride though, I love english saddles, it improves my seat and I believe it allows the horse to feel my body more and respond to more subtle body and leg cues, which is something I really appreciate in my horses.  How about you?
  • I'm in Riverside.  Broke my knee last spring so working on dropping some pounds gained while unable to walk.....

I used to event but now mostly dabble in dressage, some jumping and trail.  We trail ride weekly.  My 16 year old daughter is in Pony Club and we have the lessons at our place, plus we have someone who uses our pony for lessons so we have a lot of fun at our place and luckily can ride out to trails or haul out.  We have 4 horses and a pony and board 2 horses at our place.
  • hel-LO - dem are scorpians! [':D']

sorry I missed your introduction. I feel I know you now anyway so....

about the amazing horse that landed in your lap.... did you start riding as soon as you got out of the hospital???   LOL j/k Thank God for amazing horses!!
  • [quote=danastark]

I'm in Riverside.  Broke my knee last spring so working on dropping some pounds gained while unable to walk.....

I used to event but now mostly dabble in dressage, some jumping and trail.  We trail ride weekly.  My 16 year old daughter is in Pony Club and we have the lessons at our place, plus we have someone who uses our pony for lessons so we have a lot of fun at our place and luckily can ride out to trails or haul out.  We have 4 horses and a pony and board 2 horses at our place.

I'm sorry to hear about your knee but glad you've been able to have a speedy recovery.  My mother had knee surgery (not from a broken knee) and it's taken her about a year and half to recover and she still struggles.  

I never did pony club when I was younger but it's awesome that you have lessons at your own place and you can board on your own land.  I've been having a hard time finding a place to board that is within a reasonable distance from where I live.  Right now my horse is about an hour away from me and it's pretty hard to get out there all the time.  

I really like dressage though, I think it really helps with trail riding and learning different cues.  I use so many dressage cues and training for my trail rides.

LOL, no worries about missing my intro ':)'  I feel silly introducing myself in a forum and I'm not sure why.  I'm so thankful for the mare I found, she's a blast to arrive and my confidence is coming back more quickly than it ever has before.  She's really a lot of fun.  I really believe that what is meant to be always finds a way.  Originally I was going to have to make payments on her but somehow the right amount of money fell into my lap as soon as I decided I was going to buy her -- and it was more money than I could have expected to basically 'magically' come into.  
  • Hello dear...m also new here...nice to meet you..have a nyc day.. :)