Quick Post

New, Vermonter

New, Vermonter
  • Hello All!

My name is Annie, I have 3 wonderful horses, 2 mares and little cutie-pie pony gelding.

I am not at all a traditionalist in the horse world, so for the most part I will try to keep my mouth shut, but I wanted to be in touch with other horse people.

I am a hairdresser and emerging hoof trimmer.  Someday I'd love to operate a non-profit Equine Sanctuary and Education center...

This is Vita, she is my 15 y/o D. WarmbloodXAnglo-Trakhener (sp?)  She has some unknown lifelong shoulder malady that prevented her from being the sport-horse her owner wanted her to be, so she gifted Vita to me 2 years ago.  Our relationship is just now blooming with strength, love and trust.

This is Bryn, the afore mentioned cutie-pie.  He is a 4 y/o ShetlandXWelshXMorgan (1/2 Shelt)  He is the best buddy a girl could have.

And lastly but not least!  This is Daisha, approximately 12 y/o Arab, pulled from a kill buyer this past winter.  She was so afraid of people she could not be handled, could not be subdued in any way.  Her history is largely unknown.  Several owners, perhaps a broodmare, little if any riding/training (yay) or even handling...in other words, lots of neglect.

" border="0" />

• Hm, here's a better photo of Vita.  She was concentrating in the first one, and to some, she looks a bit grumpy.

In this she is doing a perfect "ramener" or flexion of the poll.  What a smart lady!

• Oh gorgeous!!!  (was that you as a blonde in the first pic?)
    We used to get into a lot of heated debates on opinions and methods but honestly, everyone has their own way of doing things and who cares if you wave divining rods over your horse to see if it's getting the right nutritian?  [':D']
    My horses are low NSC diet, forage first, barefoot, fat and lazy. ':)'  I have 3 former harness racers adopted from ASAP in WI, and an appy filly rescued from CO.
    Your horses look healthy and loved.  I LOVE your big cross!!  What about the shoulder? 
  • Thanks for the encouraging words!

I love barefoot fat and lazy
    Mine are certainly bare, the pony is fat, and...well, I guess they are pretty lazy ':D'

Vita, my big girl...she came from a traditional sport background (dressage primarily, although she had a talent for jumping and I have a feeling that's what caused the problems)
    I've been told that she was very difficult to train as a 3/4 y/o and difficult throughout her life.  Lock in a stall and she becomes a raving ***...
    Her feet were sore, her back was sore, and she had a ferociously protective attitude...protective of herself of course. It has now been over 2 years since she has been ridden and she seems to have never been happier.  Her back is healthy, her feet look great, and her mind is well on it's way to healing.
     The shoulders....well, she is just never quite comfortable.  Her trot (unless she collects herself naturally) is shuffling and stiff.  It's hard to say what is going on, only that it is up high, under or behind the scapula, maybe some weakness in the connection of scapula to thorax.  I don't know.  I could spend thousands of dollars trying to find the problem that may not be fixable without surgery or at all.  I'd rather her be happy and as comfortable as chiro adjustments, massage and reiki can make her.  (she LOVES reiki, she totally spaces out, goes into like a trance, eyes closed, head drooping, its the most relaxed this horse EVER gets)

Hey, don't we just LOVE rescues?!  They really seem to appreciate what we've done for them...the change in their lives.
  • Oh and yes, I was blond for a minute...when you're a hairdresser.....
    at some point I'll post photos of the shaved head ';-)'
  • Maybe we can coax SedonaThunder back if she knows there's another Reiki enthusiast here! 
    When I have more time I'll post pics of my DIL with shaved/blue head.  She's something!
    Yes.  Rescues can be wonderful!