Quick Post

Forgot to introduce myself

Forgot to introduce myself
  • Hello everyone.  As the handle implies, you may call me Impdreams, so named after a very special horse I once owned named Imperial Dreams.  I reside in Pennsylvania at the moment.
    I currently own four horses:
    1)  A 7 yr. old 16.3 hand, off the track TB mare.  That is her in the pic.  I am re-schooling her as a dressage horse.
    2) A 7 yr. old, 14.1 hand, chestnut mare that I purchased for $50 at an auction as an unbroke, unleadable, 6 yr. old.  She currently show jumps and can clear 3'6" easily.  I honestly thought she was taller until I got her home and discovered I bought a pony.  I wanted to barrel race her, but she has a high, animated gait.  She's supposed to be a Paint/QH, but my guess is that there may be either Morgan, Standardbred or Saddlebred thrown in there somewhere.
    3 and 4)  Two mustangs from the BLM.  A 14.2 hand, 4 yr. old, bay mare, apparently pregnant (surprise!!!) and a 14.1 hand, 2 yr. old, strawberry roan filly.  Both are unbroke, as I only received them a week ago.
    I've been riding and showing horses since I was 7.  At 15, began breaking horses for the racetrack and re-schooling problem horses.  I've been working professionally with horses for 30+++ years with anything from dressage, race, barrel, jumpers and backyard horses.
    My biggest challenge was an Arab who could walk better on two hind feet than all four.  He put me through a two hour rearing session before deciding that it just wasn't worth all the fuss.  Personally, I had decided the same thing after 15 minutes, but stayed on (clung on?) to see how it would play out.
    I love, love, love a challenge.  The bigger, the better.
  • Welcome to the forum Impdreams,
    We have a few things in common. I too have retrained a race horse and loved the challange. Boy was it a challange. Had some trying and scarry times. He was a 16.3 TB. About the color of the one in your picture.
    We went the western pleasure route.  Anyway it all worked out well in the end. I also had a mustang mare right off BlM land. She was one of the best horses we ever owned. I bought her for my daughter. What a find. I traded a big white TB for a appy from a friend of mine. About 8 months later I traded her for another horse for my husband and 2 weeks after she went to her new home she had a paint foal. We didn't even know she was PG. I was just sick. Everything happens for a reason and we weren't set up for a baby at that time any way. I have learned just bunches of things since my first horse, the 16.3 TB. Now I raise and train babies and sell them when I can find a good home for them. I just love them all.. Good luck  and  be safe
  • My Standardbred wants me to ask you not to expect any animation from him.  That sounds too much like work.  [8|]
    Anywhooooo..... God bless you both for the work you put into the rescues and retired racehorses!
    Sorry this took so long to reply.  I'm a bit out of pocket.  I can't wait to catch up.
  • Okay, so maybe we can rule out standardbred.  Maybe.  She out-jogged a gaited horse clocked at 30 mph, so I figured what else could do that but a standardbred.
  • Have you posted pictures somewhere?  I was hanging out with All4Grace the other day (what an amazing thing to be able to say!) and we were talking about the times our Stb's strut and show off.  It's just not real often with mine.  So maybe that's what the animation stuff is about.  They have a "look" about them.  And they are wonderful.  I hope she is a Stb.  You're right, too.  With that speed at a jog, what else could it be?  No lip tatoo?  Just wondering.... 
  • No lip tattoo.  I purchased her at an auction as an unbroke, unleadable 6 yr. old for $50.  But she had outstanding confirmation, so I wasn't too worried about the rest of the stuff.  The guy who sold her said she was born in his pasture and that's about it.  Had her feet trimmed once in a while.  Never had grain or been in a barn.  Nothing.
    Not a great picture because I never have anyone to take them when I'm on her, but here's a link to her.  Tell me what you think.

http://s780.photobucket.com/albums/yy83/Impdreams/?action=view&current=IMG_0523.jpg

• I think she's beautiful!  Way to go on her training!  She has a long back like a Stb, doesn't she?  And she looks smart enough to be one! [':D']