Quick Post

Thursday and

Thursday and
  • the Vet is finally coming again.  She was here a month ago, at my request to draw blood for THE test.  She said use bute and wait and see and pull shoes.  Did that.  No improvement.  So today she is coming back to do the test and see if she does, indeed, have Cushings (PPID).  If not, she must be part Curly since she looks rather like she is part Poodle and a wet one at that.  She sweats so very much, is still tender footed but showing improvement, and she at least drinks a LOT.  

Relishes her hay and the little special feed she is allowed.  Always happy to see me.  She is such a nice horse and I am pretty emotional about her condition.  this hit so hard and fast.

Fed her at 6:15 so she has the four hour gap between feed and blood draw when the vet comes at 11.  She is eating Nutrena Safe choice Special something or other that is supposed to be okay for insulin resistant horses.  Vet read the bag info and said okay.  She can have a total of 2 1/2 cups of it per day plus her 2 cups of BOSS.  She is happy to get it even though it is much less than she was getting.  She is allowed pasture but prefers the run in and unlimited hay.  Only comes out to go to the water tub.

Hope all have a wonderful rest of the week.

• One of my sister's horses was diagnosed with Cushings a couple years ago. Our farrier is the one who first suspected it. They ended up doing X-Rays. The vet shared the X-Rays with the farrier so he could see how best to shoe her. She is on daily medication and has been doing well. Has shown no signs of discormfort since it all began. She does get very wooly now, sweats alot and drinks a LOT more water.

• she is wooly, drinks about 20 + gallons a day and is a bit depressed.   She is on meds now and again on Bute...about time to wean her off that I think from what the vet told me.....she tested High for PPID...she has the cushings and she has a heart murmur...not seeing much hope for her to ever be the happy healthy riding horse I bought back in June.