Quick Post

The new love of my life

The new love of my life
  • Chica aka Pratt Toby TexasGirl is very wonderful too. 
    Very smart, curious and outgoing like Tex. But she can be naughty, like chewing her Momma's beautiful tail off. [:@]
    She is the princess around here. 
    Her sire is WAR Toby's Nightwind
  • Hey, thanks for posting pictures of Toby (WAR Toby's Nightwind). Today he was giving pony rides to a little 3-year-old girl. He loved the attention! Wish I'd gotten pictures.
  • Very nice : ) and what a tank.  Does he eat as much as an elephant?
    So what is your leg test to determine height?  I hope it's different than mine, because mine doesn't seem to be coming true lately.  Maybe it's all the half-starved rescues I've been dealing with lately.
  • I MIGHT get this right....  Take a rope and measure from the ground up the front leg to the.... elbow?  You know, right at the barrel.  HOLD THAT MEASUREMENT.  Slide the rope straight up the horse so the bottom end is at the elbow and the top is in the air approximately where the horse will mature.   This has to be done to a one year  old.  That's how I learned from a forum member when Danica was a year.  She measured to be 14.2.

Ooh Mary!  My baby's daddy is gorgeous!  And Chica's daddy!  Look at those feet!  She's a chica off the old block! 

I guess your company is gone... 
  • I always heard it was from the middle of the ankle to the shoulder.  Maybe that's why my measurements do not work.
  • He sure is handsome! 
    I've always heard that you measure the lenght of the cannon bone to determine adult height.
  • [quote=samsara]

He sure is handsome! 
    I've always heard that you measure the lenght of the cannon bone to determine adult height.

I thought that's what I heard, too...
  • Measure from the middle of the knee to the coronet band. If it's 15 3/4 inches, then he'll be 15.3 hands.
  • K.
    That's the way I thought...but there are so many different methods! 
  • Gawwww He's a looker!
  • Okay, Hunter, did you measure his cannon bone out of curiosity and what is it?  I think, though, no matter what height he ends up being, you're going to look like a kid on a draft horse.  He's just so darn cute and massive every way around.
  • I didn't exactly measure him in any way.  I just took a rope and used it like I first said and it ended up WAY UP THAR!  He's in Texas.  Heck, even his name is Tex.  I hope to get back to see him by the end of the year.  Don't want him to forget me.   Plus somebody owes me a trail ride or two.  [':D']

I think the measuring has to be done at age 1.  He was one in May.  I don't know how much of a difference that makes.
  • Bump! [':D'] Awwww!
  • DH needs to post some current pictures of her riding him!  The test that worked for me, BTW was to measure from the middle of the knee to the coronet band in inches and that translated to hands so with Cody, 18 inches =18 hands.  It worked!
  • Yes I should. [8D]
    Tex sure grew into a most handsome horse.
    Miss Chica turned out lovely too. I am going to wait an extra year before starting her I think. She had her first real full trim last week. So far we are lucking out with great feet on everyone. Sarcee has feet of iron and seems to have passed it on.

I just need more time to ride and enjoy them.
    Thanks for everyone's wonderful comments.