Quick Post

How old were you when you got your first horse..?

How old were you when you got your first horse..?
  • HS - she is SO cute!

And you better watch out - once you start riding the short ones, you may come to like it better than those big guys that you have to pull the ladder out for!  I tell you - even Apache seems like a climb and he is only 15.1 hands right now. 
  • Lucky you getting a horse at 14!  I leased my first horse when I was 22 and bought my first horse at 24.  The horse I leased was a very green broke grade paint and I leased him for a year.  The horse I bought is a 2 year old Fjord.  I didn't grow up riding a ton.  My parents bought me 3 weeks of lessons when I was 7 for my birthday and when I was 13 I went to a week long overnight horse camp.  My uncle has always had horses so I was able to go trail riding a couple times a year with him for as long as I can remember.  I had a job working on a "farm" where I was mentored by numerous vet students caring for a variety of farm animals, including 3 drafts.  And I went to college for 2 years to study equine science. 

I think as long as you can be responsible enough to take care of your horse for the rest of it's life (they can live quite a while...uncle had one that was 37) and you have people around you that can give you sound trustworthy advice then go for it. 

also keep in mind at 13 your life now is NOTHING like it is going to be in 10 years... if you had asked me 10 years ago what I would be doing at 25 my answer would not have even come CLOSE to what I am actually doing with my life.  Are your parents willing to look after a horse while you're in college?  Traveling the world?  etc...
  • I am VERY lucky. I'm still in awe my parents said I could get one!

I do think I'm really responsible, just because I take care of my dog, as in, I'm the only one who feeds/trains/walks him. When I'm at the barn, my friend and I will gladly sludge though muck and manure to clean stalls and such. I'd wake up at 4 every day if I had to, to turn/feed. I'd do ANYTHING for horses, especially the ones I love!

I'm actually planning on going to Cornell University to become a large animal veterinarian. (: I'm possibly planning on getting a internship. So I'll most likely be by my family AND my horse (horses possibly, by that time!)

To above posts, most TB's I've ridden have been high strung OTTB's, or of that sort. QH's I've ridden are USUALLY (emphasize on the usually!!) calm and sweet, etc. Really, I'd take pretty much any horse, as long as I can bond with it.

Samsara, I LOVE Fjords. Love their coloring, their manes, EVERYTHING. They are adorable! (:

• Now don't get carried away with the getting up at 4 am thing. Trust me after about a month. You won't. I hope you get a horse by all means but don't get too into the "I'll do anything!" idea. Because it [STRIKE]can [/STRIKE]will come back to bite you.
  • Eh, there are SOME lengths I wouldn't do. But I don't have anything better to do!';)' Plus, that most likely won't happen unless my family buys a house with a stable, so I probably won't have to anyways!

• I'm 15 (well, 16 in a few weeks [';)'] ), been riding since I was 10... have yet to own a horse. [>:] I've taken lessons, ect, leased a wonderful appendix QH mare up until June. ( =  Do I think I'm ready to own a horse? Yes. Can I afford to? Nope. [>:]
    If you think you're ready (both financially & in terms of your ability), then go for it. It'd be a good idea to try out a lease, first, just to get your feet wet a little. [':)']
  • [quote=AppyPlease]

I do think I'm really responsible, just because I take care of my dog, as in, I'm the only one who feeds/trains/walks him. When I'm at the barn, my friend and I will gladly sludge though muck and manure to clean stalls and such. I'd wake up at 4 every day if I had to, to turn/feed. I'd do ANYTHING for horses, especially the ones I love!

I'm actually planning on going to Cornell University to become a large animal veterinarian. (: I'm possibly planning on getting a internship. So I'll most likely be by my family AND my horse (horses possibly, by that time!)

Samsara, I LOVE Fjords. Love their coloring, their manes, EVERYTHING. They are adorable! (:

Thanks, I love my Fjord too. 

And I agree with JungleCat, don't rule out the short ones... hopping on a 14H horse to go for a bareback jaunt in the pasture is ALOT easier than having to vault yourself up onto a 15.2H horse... [':)']

I think Dixie has a point too, about not getting carried away.  I applaud your enthusiasm but, 4 am is fun... for a while... and then it becomes a chore (unless you're a morning person, then more power to you). 

You might seriously think about leasing before you buy, even if just for 6 months or a year.  I know I am grateful I leased a horse (even though he was not the greatest)... I learned first hand what can go wrong, how much vet/farrier/board/accessories cost.  It was nice being able to "practice" horse ownership without the commitment.  It is MUCH easier to end a lease than it is to sell a horse these days. 

And I agree you should look for an older horse with some miles left on it.  I'm sure you can find one of almost any breed that is just perfect for some young girl to love it. 
    Happy horse hunting!  Let us know when you find "the one"
  • Haha, as much as I love my little tiny ponies, I'm not sure how safe it shall be when my legs are hanging on the ground! Granted, I can barely get on a tiny little donkey bareback, even though I'm tall. xD

I am both, actually! A morning person and a..non morning person. But I get up in the mornings to walk my dog (I'm currently leash training him..again.) He HAS to get walked in the morning (although I do walk him several other times during the day, but never for long) because theres no dogs out, and since he's aggressive, score!

That's honestly and truthfully what I said to my mother when she said I can have one. She told me I can have one, and I said "I'm not ready for one yet. I don't know a lot that I SHOULD know.." so I'm planning on leasing a lesson pony. (: Although I will not be getting firsthand (things like what to do when blablabla happens, etc.) I will be learning a lot of things essential to owning a horse. Plus me and that vet? (; Yeah, we're gonna have a LONG talk. ':D'

Of course! Although I've ridden green horses, never one that was TOO green, I'm not ready to train one on my own yet. I was thinking maybe a 10year-above horse? The horse that I love currently (he's a lesson pony though, so yeah.D':)' is around 9 years. So yes. :3

So many things to take into consideration! Not only will I have to work with my horse, I'll have to work with my mother's also, if she ends up getting one like she's planning on it. I'm VERY lucky to have this opportunity!

I thank you all for helping me! Not only have you guys been kind and nice, also very helpful. I thank you VERY much! ':D' *hugs everybody*

• Hugs back, ya goofball  *gives AppyPlease a noogie*  [':D']
  • I started taking lessons at 5, bought my first horse at 16 when I could afford to pay for it myself.  I worked off my lessons starting when I was 10 and spent every moment I could at the barn.  I started retraining rescue horses with my instructor at 13.

I know many people who get their horses at your age or younger.  Some do great, some can't do anything.  Remember, its not just being able to ride that makes you a good horse owner.  You have to be aware of vet issues, farrier issues, keep up on worming schedules, recognize physical problems, just to name a few.  You must also remember that you will never stop learning through your journey with horses and you will never know it all.  Its important to keep an open mind with your horse and remember that every moment that you are with a horse, if that horse is 2 or 20, you are training that horse, both on the ground and on its back.

I do think that someone your age is very capable of this, but see many girls your age get sucked into the "fairy tale stories" about horses.  Work on getting into your horses world, instead of having the horse be an accesory in yours.  Good luck!
  • I can't work my lessons off, unfortunately, if I would, I could. My friend and I DO work to hack, which, in my opinion is more fun than a lesson. xD (Wow, you were retraining rescue horses? That's a dream of mine, but I'm not going to be getting one. I'd pretty much ruin the poor horse.D':)'

I'll be in charge of my horse. Well, most of it. ':)' I'll have to exercise it, muck stalls, feed {as long as the vet tells me what to feed, I'm alright.}, turn out, groom, basically take care of it. My family honestly doesn't know a lot about horses- only my mother, and yet she's still not the best. (She used to ride western- I ride english.) Thank goodness I know how to do basic things. I can also recognize a lot of vet/farrier issues, ESPECIALLY colic. (A few horses at my barn have colicked..unfortunately. =/) And yes, I know. I know A LOT of people who have ridden for a couple years, bought a green horse, tried to train it, ended up ruining the horse and themselves. AND they still thought they knew everything. What also gets me is I watched a video with this girl falling off her horse and then WHIPPING him in the face. (Side note, but WHY do people do that?! I know your not supposed to let their misbehaviour go, but still..that's just STUPID. Sorry, off topic.xD) But I don't hurt horses for MY mistakes. ':)'

*nod* I know horses aren't just fun and games, and riding. Although riding is my favorite part, I do love spending time with horses, just smelling in the smells and hearing them move around in their stalls. ':)'

Thank you for helping me! ':D' and thanks for the good luck too! I appreciate it!':)'

• I was 16 when i got my first horse. I think you would do just fine with your own horse. I hd no prior knowledge of how much work and time it took, but I love it! I wish ai would of leased first and get to learn more about them. But you seem like your on the right track! Good luck in your search...theres no greater feeling than finding the right horse..and then being able to call them your own..theres nothing better. Keep us posted!
  • Haha, as much as I love my little tiny ponies, I'm not sure how safe it shall be when my legs are hanging on the ground! Granted, I can barely get on a tiny little donkey bareback, even though I'm tall. xD

Look at the width more than the height.  If you get a wide stocky pony - your legs won't be dangling on the ground, trust me.  Fjords & Haflingers are great for even tall people because they tend to be wide, and take up extra leg nicely.  I'm 5'9 and my main riding horse is a 13.3 hand haflinger.  My newest haflinger is 13.2 and he is even wider than my first one!

Personally I have ridden taller but leaner horses and felt like my legs were dangling worse on them than I ever did on my  haflinger.
  • [quote=jungle_cat]

Haha, as much as I love my little tiny ponies, I'm not sure how safe it shall be when my legs are hanging on the ground! Granted, I can barely get on a tiny little donkey bareback, even though I'm tall. xD

Look at the width more than the height.  If you get a wide stocky pony - your legs won't be dangling on the ground, trust me.  Fjords & Haflingers are great for even tall people because they tend to be wide, and take up extra leg nicely.  I'm 5'9 and my main riding horse is a 13.3 hand haflinger.  My newest haflinger is 13.2 and he is even wider than my first one!

Personally I have ridden taller but leaner horses and felt like my legs were dangling worse on them than I ever did on my  haflinger.

I was just going to say the SAME thing.  Reidar is 13.2 right now... I have no fear that when he is old enough to be rode I will feel quite comfortable (i'm 5''8)' on that couch.  Both his dam and his sire were VERY wide. 

My parents are not horse people in the least.  My dad would sometimes ride with me and my uncle but only around his property for 15 minutes.  They do not support my horse life at all (although they keep their negative opinions to themselves).  I waited until I was able to completely support myself and my horse and was on my own insurance before I bought one because of this.

You are very lucky your mom has at least some experience AND the desire to get her own horse... finding a riding buddy can be challenging no matter how many horse people you know. 

You seem to have a good head on your shoulders.  I think you will be a very successful horse owner when the time comes. 
  • [quote=jungle_cat]

Haha, as much as I love my little tiny ponies, I'm not sure how safe it shall be when my legs are hanging on the ground! Granted, I can barely get on a tiny little donkey bareback, even though I'm tall. xD

Heck I'm 5'6 and I ride my friends 11 hh pony. It looks like a normal sized horse. OH and think about this. The higher up the harder you fall *learned that the hard way*