Quick Post

How old were you when you got your first horse..?

How old were you when you got your first horse..?
  • Hi? Sorry, I'm really new to the forums, and I looked around but I didn't think there was any other place to put this. Sorry!D:

Anyways, on to my question. :)

Next summer, my family is planning on buying me a horse. The thing is, a few of my horse related friends said I'm not ready to own one {I'm capable of riding a broke horse. I've been riding for around three years, I know, not a long time at all! But long enough to know the do-don'ts about horses.} I AM planning on leasing next summer also, just to get into the swing of things. I guess my question is, do you think I'm ready? I'm thirteen (yikes! Young, I know.D: Turning fourteen soon though!) and VERY responsible when it comes to horses. If anyone would like to see my riding, I can link you to a video.

The horse I would most likely get is a family horse, so one that I can jump on, yet one that isn't green. I realize that some people will say "Your too young!" or "Your too inexperienced!" but isn't the best way to GAIN experience to actually DO something? =/
    One more question- how old were YOU when you got first horse, and how long have you been riding?

Again, sorry for posting this on the wrong forum if it is. Also, sorry for my babbeling! Thank you all for reading and replying, if you choose to do so. :)

~ AppyPlease
  • I'm 13 and I've been riding since I was 4. I got my first horse when I was 9.
  • I got my first pony at 2.  But my first horse that was mine was when I was 12, but my dad had horses and I grew up around them.

I think leasing is a great way to start.  Look for an older horse (10 or over is great and don't be afraid of a horse in it's teens) that has been there and done that.  They tend to be less spooky, more sensible and willing.

Good Luck and welcome.
  • First, HI! 
    Second, I love your forum name!!  Is that any indication of what breed you prefer?  [':D']
    I was about your age when I got my QH.  I have to say, I think it's really important for parents to ensure the horse is properly cared for.  It can't be "well it's your horse, if you don't feed it, it'll get skinny"  (that's sort of an exageration)  And you can't forget that you have a life out there in the barn (he will stay on your property?) who is depending on you for health and companionship.  You know they are herd animals so you will be his herd.  (try to get a gelding [';)'])
    Also - don't alway listen to everything other people say.  We all do things a little different.  You have to figure out what works best for your horse and you. 
    I'm excited for you.  I recommend Standardbreds. [':D']  What part of the world are you in?  Do you ride Eng or Western?  What do you plan to do with said horse?  [':)']  Trail?  Mess around?  How big?  Inquiring minds want to know!
  • This is me in 1958 I was 2

• I have been riding since I was 1 and a 1/2.  Grew up in Germany riding Holsteiners, Oldenburgs, German Warmbloods . I wasnt much for small horses, Try putting me on a pony I would scream I didn't even care for the toy rocking horse my parents bought  me. I have a pic of me crying on the back of it.

Now being an ARMY Brat moved me to Colorado in 1989. Where I lived in Colorado Springs close to Fort Carson didn't allow me to have a horse let alone any friends that owned any ( very lonely ).

In 1990 we moved to Fountain ( heaven ) HORSES everywhere. The High School should of had a rodeo team but it didn't.  In 1992 I was turning 13 my parents bought me a Mustang his name was Bandit he was 1. I know jaw dropper what a combo a semi green girl on a very green horse.
    People that knew my parents told them they were nuts you should buy her a 12 year old something gentle as a first horse.

Bandit and I made a great team I helped train him to be rideable. When he turned 3 I was training him for competing.
    We did a little english pleasure, english equetation, hunter, western pleasure, western horsemanship, trail, endurance riding, barrel racing, pole bending, go go, 75 up and back, flags, handy horse.

We did take a lot of good places during speed events 1st and 2nd. In the judged events not so good but they were to me. We also tried our hand at break away calf roping and team roping took first in both but it wasnt for me. I'll stick with jumping and speed events.

Good luck on finding your horse and rule number 1 find a barn with people who want to help you learn on this incredible journey. Cuz if you find a barn with people who don't care you won't learn anything and you and your horse will be misserable..
  • Thank you! Aha, I do love Appy's. Their color is just AMAZING to me. ':D'

Well, I have fed/watered/groomed/supplements/mucking etc, many times before. So really, if I had a set plan and I had everything I needed, AND the information what to do when things go wrong- I'd be fine on my own. Plus if my family got their own ranch, my mother would probably buy a horse also. So that also means I need to find horses who get along..yay.

He probably will not stay on my property, only because we don't have the basic needs. Our backyard isn't big enough, we are not in the country, etc.. well, unless we cut down our garage, we don't have room! So we'd probably keep the horses at a stable. I'm not sure if it's the stable I ride at NOW, because when I spoke to my mother about it, she hinted that we might be moving/might be leaving the barn I ride at now, so I honestly don't know if he'll be kept at my house! But if I did, I assure you, I won't leave. I don't have a life OUTSIDE the barn, anyways! ':D'

Well, the horse I would ask my parents to buy me just for me, would probably be a QH. I'm in LOVE with QH's. I ride a horse right now, and USED to ride a horse, and they were all QH's. I simply love their breed, and everything about them! But it depends on what horse I find, I guess. I will NOT be picky on the breed, the only thing I will be iffy with is TB's. I'm not sure if I will work well with a TB, because of some of their temperments. I live in the eastern side, in New York. Well, I'm pretty sure that's Eastern. ':D' I ride english. I plan on MAYBE showing a couple times, mostly just gaining more skills and developing a bond with my horse. If there are trails available, I defientaly will have to see if I can go on them! (I'd probably let my friends ride the horse if I'm comfortable with it, so I'm probably looking for a bombproof pony.) I'd like around 15-16 hands. Defientaly nothing over 17 hands, I rode one once and boy, long way to the ground! I'm also getting a bit big for ponies, so blegh. Can't ride any more of my favorite old ponies. xD

Thank you all for your replies! I appreciate it. ':)' Made me feel a lot better about looking into buying a horse. ':D'

• [quote=AppyPlease]

Well, the horse I would ask my parents to buy me just for me, would probably be a QH. I'm in LOVE with QH's. I ride a horse right now, and USED to ride a horse, and they were all QH's. I simply love their breed, and everything about them! But it depends on what horse I find, I guess. I will NOT be picky on the breed, the only thing I will be iffy with is TB's. I'm not sure if I will work well with a TB, because of some of their temperments. I live in the eastern side, in New York. Well, I'm pretty sure that's Eastern. ':D' I ride english. I plan on MAYBE showing a couple times, mostly just gaining more skills and developing a bond with my horse. If there are trails available, I defientaly will have to see if I can go on them! (I'd probably let my friends ride the horse if I'm comfortable with it, so I'm probably looking for a bombproof pony.) I'd like around 15-16 hands. Defientaly nothing over 17 hands, I rode one once and boy, long way to the ground! I'm also getting a bit big for ponies, so blegh. Can't ride any more of my favorite old ponies. xD

Sweety A QH is part TB infact If youd look up the history youd find out that its part mustang and Tb and today 90% of the QH is TB.. Check out blood lines and history you'd learn more bout the breed and the whys and whats.. Just thought Id let you know..
  • Blagh, I know that. But I - I can't explain it. xD Plus that was also a lapse of memory on my part, sorry! ':P'

• I was 21 when I got my first horse.

At thirteen - it really depends on you.  I know some very mature thirteen year olds that could handle horse ownership (with the support of their parents at least financially) and I know some 50 year old that will never grow up and I wouldn't trust them to take care of a gold fish properly.  LOL. 

Also, picking the right horse is going to be a huge factor.  You want a horse that knows enough that it can help teach you and build your confidence.  Do you have some horse-knowledgeable person like a trainer that can help you pick out the right horse?  For my first horse I had wonderful help and got a great horse, but when we bought our second horse - which was for my hubby - we ended up picking one on our own and it was a disaster.  Since we were on our own we let our emotions control our decision and came home with a horse that was totally unsuitable for our level of experience. 

Also, you may find for your first horse a lease situation might end up being best to test the waters so to speak. 
  • [quote=horselvr2478]

[quote=AppyPlease]

Sweety A QH is part TB infact If youd look up the history youd find out that its part mustang and Tb and today 90% of the QH is TB.. Check out blood lines and history you'd learn more bout the breed and the whys and whats.. Just thought Id let you know..

True - but most of them are older TB lines and pretty far back in the pedigree.  A lot of TBs today are so race-bred that they are high energy while a lot of the QH lines have been bred for more mellow temperments.  So while TBs may be in a lot of the bloodlines - the breeding directions have gone in different directions.  Of course even within the QH breed there are many directions the bloodlines have gone - cutters, reiners, WP, etc so that would factor into it as well.
  • I was born into horses.  My sister and I shared a buckskin mare, Amber when we were 3 and 4.  My mom would hoist us up bareback and we'd walk around the farm.  She wouldn't go any faster ':)'

I have 11 and 13 year old daughters and they ride but they do need help with feeding (knowing how much to feed, what to feed) and reminders to water at times.  I would say, if you do get a horse and keep it at home, you need your parents to supervise.  As you know, horses require a lot of money every month for feed, foot care, possible vet care, wormer, etc so make sure your parents are on board with that.

Goodluck in your search!  We have a POA gelding, he's a leopard spot and the most wonderful pony ever!!
  • Thank you j_c! 
    Here's a purdy little appy - she will probably/hopefully reach 14.2.  (too small, but speaking of cool, huh?)
  • My first horse was fancy i got her at 18 i leased horses before i got her.
  • I take care of Cowboy ALONE. I feed. I water. I ride. I groom. I worm. I do everything. XD I'm the only one that knows anything about horses in my whole family. I own a Tb/Qh and he's pretty mellow. I've ridden a lot of tbs that aren't high strung or hard to handle. Including young ones. I've also ridden high strung Qhs as well as mellow ones. It all depends on the horse and the training. But yeah I would say get an older horse to start with. I started out with an 18 yr old saddlebred qh mare. She was a good starter horse and taught me alot. Then I moved *too quickly* to a little filly. That didn't work out. Now I have the horse of my dreams and 8 yr old Qh/Tb gelding.