Quick Post

i am a GENIUS!! eh kind of ^.^

i am a GENIUS!! eh kind of ^.^
  • Right so next year i am going to be a senior and at my school all seniors have to complete a project on whatever they want to do so naturally i want mine to be something with horses, also seeing as i want to me an equine massage therapist specializing in rehabilitation i had a stroke of genius when i realized i could rescue a horse from the shelter here, train him or her and present as my project, (i already checked with my mentor and i can do this its legal lol) SO i have already talked to my grandparents and i am all set to get this started i have decided however to wait to rescue such horse until i get back from Europe this summer to avoid stress both on my part and my grandparents, and because i would need to buy hay if i got him/her right now, 
    i am trying to gather as much information as i possibly can, i am going to ask my uncle to help in the training process along with a neighbor so i have two different views instead of just one, i have space for him/her, i am going to online to the shelters web site and look right now at the adoption process and how they treat their horses, then as the time gets closer i will go out and visit talking to the owners and perhaps meeting the horses they have there in person,
    any tips on adopting a horse?? Anything else i might have forgotton that i need to cover?
    thanks guys!
  • What will happen to the "project" horse after your senior project is over? 
    What happens if you adopt a horse that just can't be trained in the amount of time you have allowed? 
    What happens if you get seriously injured during training and cannot finish the project? 
    Will you truly have anough time to devote to successfully training a horse and continue to keep up in school? 
    Who will be paying for the upkeep of the horse and are they willing to spend even more money if a problem arises?

Not trying to be a buzz kill, these are just a few questions that popped in my head. 
  • i understand and i have thought about all of these questions,

if its necessary after my project is over and i have done everything i wanted with the horse i will sell him or her, or if i want to and i have agreement with my grandparents we will keep him or her,
    i have a time window of about a year to train my "project" horse and if i happen to get a horse that needs more time, then he needs more time, it wont hurt my project if i haven't 100% completed the training by the time i present,
    my cousin brought that up if i get hurt during training, i haven't honestly thought about it, i suppose i would ask my cousin to help me and i could be out there throwing around ideas, it would turn into a joint training than just me handling the horse, then there is the idea that i might have to stay in bed with whatever injury, then i would make sure the horse is taken care of ie stays on a steady training program with my cousin and my project would just have to be changed i suppose,
    i believe i will have enough time to be with this horse which is why im waiting til june becuase i have alot going on until then, most of his time with me will be during the summer and the time spent at school will be a little more stressed but i can make room, my horse is my priority, no matter what
    both me and my grandparents are going to be paying for this horse just like we do with my horse now, and if a problem shows up, which it might with my luck then we will take care of it,

i hope i answered your questions and they made sense lol
    thanks!

• This can be a very big project for you.  Just remember, rescue horses often become rescue horses for a reason, they have failed the system somewhere along the way.  With the economy the way it is, I have seen an increase in decent rescue horses out there, but the commonly still have quite a few issues, both physical and mental.

I know a lot of very good trainers, but very few actually can deal with horses with serious issues.  With a rescue, you are basically paying for someone elses sins.  Another thing, the biggest form of abuse that I see is ignorance.  Out of all of the horses that I picked up, all of the owners meant well, they just lacked the knowledge or the means.  I manage a rescue barn and we are constantly explaining to people why a horse isn't ready to just mount up and ride.  Don't be afraid to send me a message if you need help with selection or training tips. 
  • thank you HG i actually have one question,

when i first bring home my "project" horse, should i keep him/her separate from my horse for the first week or should i put him in the pasture with Diablo right away (and of course keep an eye on them) ive heard some people say its better to set them by themself at first then introduce them to the other horses after a while but ive also heard putting them with another calm and well mannered horse is good too...personally i think it would be better to put him/her with another horse, because they are herd animals and dont particularly like being alone, going from a shelter where this is always another horse with them to suddenly a new place all by yourself seems like it would be more stressful to me...i dont know that seems a little more logical.
    What do you think?  
  • I know your question was directed at HG but I'll put in my 2 cents...
    Whenever I've moved my horse to a new barn (I've been to 3 barns with 2 different horses) They've usually spent a day or two alone in a paddock but close enough to the other horses that they can touch noses, sniff, and say hi.  Once they start ignoring each other then the new horse is put in with the others.  Don't know if you have the facilities for this, but that's how I've always heard to do it.
  • Here's an idea!  (just food for thought)  If you work with Susan Wellman of ASAP, you could get an off the track Standardbred, one not ridden EVER.  They have awesome dispostitions and you'd be FAR  past the ground manners step (feet, vet, grooming, leading, loading etc)  They are people horses and, once the track/machine mentality leaves them, they are willing and loving.  Anyway, if you get a trotter that's built more Morgan'y than T'bred'y you might have a great little barrel racer, if western's your target.  (they can do anything)  Or a pacer is a great trail horse with a wonderful saddle gait, VERY suitable for old ladies like me!  [':)']  I recommend a mare to make Diablo's life easier.  The 3 geldings I have are all very strong dispositioned and I'd be afraid Diablo would be miserable being pushed around.  You could work with Susan to get the right match (she won't stick you with just anyone) AND she can keep you horse on the ASAP web site for adoption as you work with the horse.  You might be able to conclude your project with an adoptive home.  You could be considered a foster.  I'd help with shipping costs.  Maybe others could, too.  check out 4thehorses.com. 

At least you'd know the horse's history and you'd have a horse with brains!  Also, a way to help a horse in need and free advertising!  (ASAP is on facebook, too, not abbreviated)  Again, just food for thought.

Whatever you decide, Miss. Senior-going to Europe, I know you'll think it through and do the very best that can be done with it.  HEY!  If you can get any donations to the horse, it might be tax deductable for the donor - like if a farrier donated a hoof trim - you'd have to go through Susan, being a non-profit, but you might get donations that way!  Maybe your feed store could set up an account and a sign or a donation jar..... I'd be asking just in case!  It would be good to "showcase" your horse locally to promote the amazing Standardbred.  If there was a horse expo or something....  Somebody toss a glass of water on me to calm me down here.....
  • thanks samsara, im not sure ill have the facilities for that i might if i do it right ill have to think about it thank you though,

hunter thats a good idea actually and i will look at that, i was also thinking about leaning towards a mare because diablo gets pushed around by other geldings he's just too sweet and quiet they walk all over him,
    i am going to be just training the horse to ride, like i ride diablo just kind of around, everyonce and a while i get crazy and ride out to the river, so trail riding would be the aim, actually the shelter im looking at adopting from just rescued a bunch of paso finos and some are still recooperating and some are availiable for adoption perhaps when i go out to find the horse i might get lucky with a paso ^.^

• Just my two cents.  I was always taught that horses coming from other barns should be quarantined until they have been properly wormed and you know they are safe to put with your other horses.  I would find this a good thing to do since you are thinking of getting a rescue horse that may have had health issues in the past. 

As far as getting a mare over a gelding, all the geldings at my barn are pushed around by the mares.  My mare is very mean to all horses, but she really picks on geldings.  She recently kicked one of the BO's horses in the eye and caused a nasty cut. 

I do wish you the best with this adventure, just make sure you are ready.  I know more people will respect you even more for knowing your limits and not getting in over your head.  
  • I was thinking about the quarantine issue, too, vi.  ASAP and any good rescue will have the horse quarantined and vetted, utd on shots. 

Trip.  Pasos?  Have you ever worked with them?  I have not but I've been around some on the trail.  They are like cute little wind-up toys.  TOTAL ENERGY but really very nice.  They are higher end priced horses in this area - which isn't saying much.  But they seem to be great on trails, lots of fun, people are devoted to them AND you might have a better chance placing one afterwards.  Not a bad option.  Your paso rescues have probably been ridden previously.
  • nope ive never worked with a paso, ive never even seen one or been around one, im limited in my little dirt patch out here in new mexico, its quarterhorses and thats about it, actually the pasos at the rescue are all under 4  years old and have never been saddled, they were starved poor dears, and left to fend for themselves, not all of them made it there were 10 i thnk and 2 of the old men died,

if you recall that mare i was supposed to buy a long time ago, my cousin called me about her yesterday asking if i wanted her, but i had to refuse cause we dont have the money right now, i felt like it was the right thing to do telling my cousin i couldnt take her, but i really wanted her, i freakin love that horse [':('] but i feel like a made a good decision so

thanks everyone!!!
  • So could you foster a paso and do the work and let the sale price go to the rescue?  You still might be able to get donated services if they are a non-profit.
  • yes i could do that if i decide to sell, i know ive still got alot to plan out even before i try to pick out a horse mostly where am i going to get the extra money for this little expedition but i am working on it and writing down all my ideas so i odnt forget them cause i forget things alot unless they are number orientated or if it was funny,
    i also just got a whole bunch of tack and stuff from my uncle who had to sell all his horses because of his job, (long story) anyhow he split up everything between me and his sons who have horses and i got some pretty cool stuff which saves on a new headstall saddle pads and a *** collar, um hoof picks, shampoo's, fly spray, that yellow gooey stuff that i cant think of the name righht now, vet wrap and halters out the wazoo, split reins and just alot of older neat stuff, the heastall that is actually in really good shape is designed in a really unique way, to me ive never seen one like it,  i didnt get a saddle cause he gave those to his sons but thats alright,
    i'll just have to save up some money and fill in the holes, i've got a babysitting deal over spring break which will bring in plenty of money half of that will go to my europe fund and the other half will go the "project horse" fund, there is going to be an open house at the rescue before i leave i was planning on going to that then dealing with the actual adoption (minus the form) after i get back, that way my grandparents aren't saddled with a possibly terrified-of-humans horse,
    wow i just blabbed on and on...well thanks!

• Hmmmm..... You could approach some feed stores about donations.  I was just thinking about the possablity (
  • hmmm....yea i could do something like that, i know a few places i could get a job but getting a job and a new horse at the same time is like asking to be shot point blank, i could always get the job now but then i would have to take time off during the summer to go to europe, geez going to europe is inconvienant. i kind of work part time with my grandmother washing dishes but thats not steady at all and is usually only about 60 a night, something like that, i cant ask for anymore donations from the elks lodge right now because they have already donated for Europe, i could put a jar at my feed store when i get the horse and put a picture of him/her on it, i know someone who did that, i could get my youth group involved but they aren't really animal orientated and don't like me cause they think im some tree-hugging hick hippy, -.- yes they are wonderful, i have fliers up at the vets office for house sitting and petsitting ive gotten a few calls about that,