Quick Post

How old were you when you got your first horse..?

How old were you when you got your first horse..?
  • [quote=gunslinger598]

This is me in 1958 I was 2

You look at home on that pony!!!! sooooo cute.
  • [quote=horselvr2478]

[quote=AppyPlease]

Well, the horse I would ask my parents to buy me just for me, would probably be a QH. I'm in LOVE with QH's. I ride a horse right now, and USED to ride a horse, and they were all QH's. I simply love their breed, and everything about them! But it depends on what horse I find, I guess. I will NOT be picky on the breed, the only thing I will be iffy with is TB's. I'm not sure if I will work well with a TB, because of some of their temperments. I live in the eastern side, in New York. Well, I'm pretty sure that's Eastern. ':D' I ride english. I plan on MAYBE showing a couple times, mostly just gaining more skills and developing a bond with my horse. If there are trails available, I defientaly will have to see if I can go on them! (I'd probably let my friends ride the horse if I'm comfortable with it, so I'm probably looking for a bombproof pony.) I'd like around 15-16 hands. Defientaly nothing over 17 hands, I rode one once and boy, long way to the ground! I'm also getting a bit big for ponies, so blegh. Can't ride any more of my favorite old ponies. xD

Sweety A QH is part TB infact If youd look up the history youd find out that its part mustang and Tb and today 90% of the QH is TB.. Check out blood lines and history you'd learn more bout the breed and the whys and whats.. Just thought Id let you know..

You forgot their also part Arabian, LOL
  • Well....
    I waited 43 years to own my horse but rode all my life every chance I could. My girlfriend had enough horses that I could ride with her and exercise her horses...
    Now I have my girl and we ride all the time, well weekends and some weeknights. I still have to work, bummer... I wish I could just ride and play with her all the time. I am addicted to horses it's that simple...
    My boyfriend is great about it but my daughter was tough on me. Now she is riding too and we are all good. I just need to addict her too... lol
  • Wow I mean now I really feel bad, I've been wanting a horse forever but being in school and trying to find a good career that is not possible at the time since I had other things on my mind.  I'm 24.  Right now I'm thinking about doing a lease particularly a free lease just to get my feet wet now that I have a decent paying job.  However I seem to have something nagging me in the back of my mind.  Since it seems the majority of you got your horses at a young age how did you handle major and I mean major vet bills like if a horse colics or something?  Its bad enough that it would happen but worse when its some else horse. 
  • [quote=RockingNRolling]

Wow I mean now I really feel bad, I've been wanting a horse forever but being in school and trying to find a good career that is not possible at the time since I had other things on my mind.  I'm 24.  Right now I'm thinking about doing a lease particularly a free lease just to get my feet wet now that I have a decent paying job.  However I seem to have something nagging me in the back of my mind.  Since it seems the majority of you got your horses at a young age how did you handle major and I mean major vet bills like if a horse colics or something?  Its bad enough that it would happen but worse when its some else horse. 

I leased my first horse when I was 22/23... The deal we made was if the horse injured himself while I was riding/working with him or as a direct result of something I did then I was to pay the vet bills.  If he injured himself in the pasture or coliced then she would pay the bills.  She set an amount to how much she was willing to pay and I was expected to match that.  I don't remember how much it was... but I could cover it with my credit card if necessary... we were both college students on a limited income and he was a grade gelding.  Fortunately, I didn't need to ever call a vet while he was in my care.  I am glad we planned for the worst though.  It made everything a lot easier. 
    They also sell insurance for things like that too.
  • [quote=samsara]

[quote=RockingNRolling]

Wow I mean now I really feel bad, I've been wanting a horse forever but being in school and trying to find a good career that is not possible at the time since I had other things on my mind.  I'm 24.  Right now I'm thinking about doing a lease particularly a free lease just to get my feet wet now that I have a decent paying job.  However I seem to have something nagging me in the back of my mind.  Since it seems the majority of you got your horses at a young age how did you handle major and I mean major vet bills like if a horse colics or something?  Its bad enough that it would happen but worse when its some else horse. 

I leased my first horse when I was 22/23... The deal we made was if the horse injured himself while I was riding/working with him or as a direct result of something I did then I was to pay the vet bills.  If he injured himself in the pasture or coliced then she would pay the bills.  She set an amount to how much she was willing to pay and I was expected to match that.  I don't remember how much it was... but I could cover it with my credit card if necessary... we were both college students on a limited income and he was a grade gelding.  Fortunately, I didn't need to ever call a vet while he was in my care.  I am glad we planned for the worst though.  It made everything a lot easier. 
    They also sell insurance for things like that too.

Thanks I feel a little bit better.  I don't want to go through life wondering "what if" I really want to lease a horse.  I went through my first few years of college just working at stables and never really got to learn or do really anything with horses personally.  So now that I am at a break in the semester with a better paying job I feel like taking a leap, towards my dream.  Even if its just a lease.  Also hearing experiences from other College students my age makes me feel better.  
  • I got my horse last year when I was 15. Charm was a rescue horse but I never really liked her until a few monthes after I bought her which is also when I found out that I needed scoliosis surgery meaning I couldn't ride for a year. After buying her I found out that her hooves were so badly cracked I would need year to ride her, so everything worked out perfectly really.

She was mean, un-trained, and ill-tempered but working with her over the year, I have managed to ground train her and make her into a well-tempered(yet spirited) horse. Hopefully riding her this year! [':)']