Quick Post

i am a GENIUS!! eh kind of ^.^

i am a GENIUS!! eh kind of ^.^
  • If you incorporate your project into your existing flyers you may get more response. 
    I understand not wanting to take on more work AND a horse at the same time.  I think people who see you're willing to work for contributions will be more likely to donate generously and possibly for no work at all.  All of this is just ideas.  You are very smart and you'll figure out the best thing for your situation!
    Again, Paso's are VERY popular in some areas.  And high-ish dollar.
  • yea, i'm not so sure about around here though, most people that have horses here are barrel racers, ropers, or racehorses, but hey its worth a try, i contacted the shelter the other day to check up on things and im really liking what im seeing so far, their horses are really well taken care of, and most are being trained at the shelter, like i said before there is an open house right before i go to Europe so i'll go to that and start the adoption process ^.^
    thanks everyone for your opinions and advice!
  • If you've got a die-hard Paso lover looking, they will travel.  They usually have more money than sense.  lol  The ones around here, anyway.  Also, they are great for people with back issues or, who can't really ride.  [':)']  That gait isn't as scary as a horse who feels like it will gallop away with you.
  • i figured, lol, paso fino just sounds rich....lol
    i printed out the applications and have almost finished filling them out i was interupted in the process, after i finish i am planning on going to an open house theu have scheduled in April, and drop off the application and maybe do some snooping around looking at the horses or what not.
    IM TOTALLY EXCITED!! whoo i had to get that out,
  • DON'T forget to document everything in pictures!  Have someone take pictures of you filling out paperwork!  Document your pre-adoption facilities in photo's.  Show where you plan to keep your project.   Better too many pics than not enough.  Copy stuff from their web site.  (Do they have a web site?)  Like a flier from the adoption fair.  Take LOTS of pictures!!  [':)']  Plus I want to see them.  [':D']
  • yea i found my camera yesterday, dusted it off and found some batteries lol i am ashamed to say i havent used it in a while.....anyhow i have a few more things to gather then the applications are done, after spring break ill have some extra money and im hoping ill be able to go horse shopping! i found a place out here that sells that safechoice grain stuff and i going to go tomorrow and check that out, its a Big R store i've never actually been in there.......
    one of my best friends who is graduating this year, is going to be here next year still and she said she wants to help me out i figured i would have her take the pictures ^.^ i will definatly take plenty of pictures for you hunt!
  • Sorry, I haven't been by in a while.

An actual rescue should have had the horse quarantined, vetted, vaccinated, trimmed, etc. already.  We get some horses in to our rescue that are in good condition and their owners could no longer keep them, they come with records from their vets.  Those horses are still quarantined, but we don't have blood work done.  However, when we have a horse come in in poor condition, they are vet checked and have blood work done immediately, and are put through a thorough worming program after a few weeks of being at our facility (after they have been on some groceries).  The horses are kept on a regular worming schedule, as well as vaccinations, dental, and farrier once in our care, but I can not speak for all rescue barns.  I know a lot of self proclaimed "rescuers" that I wouldn't trust at all.  Also, in my experience, I have found that rescues have one or two actual horse people (they will be the ones pulling their hair out) and a whole bunch of sappy helpers that are there to "save the horses".  These helpers are great and necessary, but I would definately find the horse people to talk to.

I have had two pasos offered to me for free in the past week, both young, one green broke, and one basically unhandled.  I would recommend checking into the STB first for a project, that would be something good since it already has some basic handling skills. 

If I personally have a horse that I know is UTD on everything and is healthy, I do put them immediately with a horse, but that may just be me.  I keep them quarantined if there is any question of them carrying anything.  My herd does a lot of my training for me with behavior cases, so its easy to let them do the work with the new horse to let them know right off the bat what our standards are.  A horses first priority is safety, which in the average horses mind means knowing where they are in the herd and having that security.  One thing to remember though is the condition of the horse and the horse you are turning out with.  An insecure horse that is already there will immediately turn "bully" on the new guy.  Also, if the new horse is at all underweight or physically compromised in any way, you will want to keep them seperated until they are stronger.  Otherwise the will be picked on by the herd since they are not seen as an asset to the herd but rather a disability.  You will find something extremely important through this project is being able to read a horse.
  • the shelter out here says on their website the horses are dewormed, taken to the vet and what not, i know its on a website but the horses look really good, the ones for adoption do,
    diablo has never had a herd since ive had him, he's always been by himself and when i mix him with my cousins horses he gets bullied around, so i'm not sure how he would act with another horse in the mix, the only problem with keeping them apart at first is i would be afraid diablo would kill himself trying to get to the other horse to be with him/her i'm not as worried about introducing the new horse as much as how my horse is going to react, he freaks out everytime my neighbor rides his horse down the rode and (for some reason) when horses get out on my road they all come to my house [>:] i dont know why, but diablo goes nuts. i'm not sure he knows how to be with other horses, we had to wipe his slate clean and start from stage 1 like he was a colt when we first got him all he's known for 3 years is being by himself.