Quick Post

Bunny update - first litter born Wednesday!

Bunny update - first litter born Wednesday!
  • Breeding my first doe went without a hitch, so far! She 'kindled' (gave birth to) 10 kits (babby bunny wabbits) on day 29.5 of her pregnancy. 30 days is the golden average for rabbits. This was her first pregnancy. I was concerned that she would not have them in the nest box - she has piled hay and fur in 3 different places - and I had to leave for work the day she was 'nesting'. My husband called me when he got home that evening to give me the news. All the babies were in the nest box and Mama bit Dear Husband when he went to check them out (Go mama!)    She has tolerated curious humans peeking into the nest box and handling the babies. There are 10 - 8 pinkies and 2 blackies. The buck is an orange New Zealand cross, so he passed on the solid color to the black kits, and I am hoping that some of the pinkies will have red coats when their fur comes in!
  • aww, these pictures bring back fond memories of the days when my boys and I had rabbits.  Baby buns that are handled early make darling snuggle bugs, too.
  • ...lost one of the black kits today. I didn't look them all over yesterday, so this morning I did a head count and found it all emaciated at the bottom of the bunny pile. Called a friend who has nursed baby squirrels, birds, and ferrets to life but by the time I went to gather up the little guy he was gone. So we're down to 9, they all look fat and happy and are getting silky peach fuzz. I suppose losing one out of a large litter is normal. My friend says she will set up her 'baby box' (has a heat pad and all) so it will be ready for future runts. I have another doe expecting in 3 weeks and just bred a 3rd one today - a freshly acquired California doe who is 13 months and not yet bred, I figure we better get to it right away to see if she will be a good mother or not. Here's some pics. One is the 'survivor' of the two blackies, and our new doe "Crystal"
  • I'm so sorry, but those little things are butt-ugly! The doe is gorgeous, however! I'm excited! Are you collecting rabbit recipes? [':)']
  • Got any good recipes? They are getting cuter now..... eyes should open any day
  • I lived in Malta for a year and the national dish there is rabbit stew!  It's delicious.  I always had it served over spaghetti.  here's a link to one recipe I found.  There are several variations... like chili here in the US...everyone has their own way.  http://www.malta.com/en/dining/maltese-specialities/stuffat-tal-fenek-recipe
  • Thanks for the great recipe link!!!! The great thing about raising meat rabbits is that when the cute little fuzzy baby bunnies grow up, there are more cute little fuzzy baby bunnies....