Quick Post

Need ideas for a cat problem.

Need ideas for a cat problem.
  • I have this wonderful orange cat not quite a year old yet.  He was abandoned by his wild mother and I bottle fed him.  He is very smart and you can almost see the wheels turning as he tries to figure things out.  He has this thing for paper towels and toilet paper.  He shreds it into a million pieces.  No toilet paper or paper towels on a roll is safe from him.  Closing the bathroom door works, but if you don't close it all the way or a guest leaves it open-it is cat fun time!   After the third time it happened with the toilet paper, I put the roll in an empty margarine container with a tight fitting lid.    Looks odd in the bathroom-but it is cat proof! 

What I need is a good idea for preserving my paper towels from The Shredder!  I have tried squirting him with water, but he is not bothered by the water unless I get him really wet-and I don't like doing that.  So...any ideas???
  • Not sure how to solve your problem but one of mine used to do something similar and grew out of it.  He liked to completely unroll the toilet paper, taking random bites of it as he went which made it pretty useless even if you re-rolled it ....... he doesn't do that anymore.  A lot of cats don't like foil, what about laying some over the TP?  For the paper towels, hmmm, not sure.  My TP shredder now likes to hop up on the computer desk while I'm on the computer and starts yanking out all the tacks holding up various pictures and papers that are important and clawing at papers on the desk.......
  • I hope it is just a "kitten" thing and he will outgrow it.  He takes calendars off the wall, things out of my purse, makes off with my socks and wants to know what I am doing all the time.  He is a sweet cat and will climb up your leg to your shoulder and wrap his arms around your neck, rub your face, and purr the loudest cat purr you ever heard!  So...he is forgiven his trespassess!
  • He should out grow it, I agree.  I bottle raised a kitten (about 16 yrs old now) and he had a fondness for socks and other kinds of underwear.  He would drag them all over the place if he could get near them.  He still loves to get into a clothes basket and knead while holding an article of clothing in his mouth...he gets the strangest look on his face.  No more stealing, however, he did outgrow that.  He never went for rolled paper but seems to enjoy chewing on newspaper and plastic (grocery type) bags.  Doesn't eat them, just chews.  Sometimes he licks the shower curtain.  I always blame the plastic stuff on the kitten bottle nipples, but it probably is just his own quirk.

If you have a counter top paper towel dispenser/holder, could you cover it with a plastic bag?  A pain to use it that way but better than chasing it all over the house.  I agree, aluminum foil might work if it is a wall dispenser.

At least you know you have plenty of good company in the being owned by cats club.
  • My other cat's quirk lately has been to lick photos....?  Must taste good to him?

My paper shredder also likes to "nurse" and knead on fuzzy blankets, gets this look on his face like he's back with momma ':)'
  • I have also had cats that lick photos and chew plastic.  It seems to run in "family" lines.  Cats are entertaining and sometimes their entertainments get out of hand.  I  know that Champion, my "Shedder"  has taken to watching the ceiling fan and is trying to figure out a way to get to it and it is not even being used right now, so no movement to attract him.  He has learned to jump up on the shower door frame when I am in the shower.  Hope he doesn't try to jump on me!  I flick water on him to discourage that. 
  • I had a cat in high school who loved to hang out in the bathroom on the shelf next to the shower, got too far on one end and tipped himself into the shower through the curtain!  I was surprised to have the cat and all the stuff on the shelf dumped into the shower! 

My shredder also loves Q-tips and emery boards.......
  • Mine like Q-tips too.  Champion has decided that he needs to take things from my purse.  He loves my hair brush and comb, but hates to be brushed with his own brush! 
  • My Smokey loves to be brushed but he gets feisty so you have to be careful....... Anyone else have a cat the "air" buries things?  When my Beau is done eating, he'll starting pawing at the air, cabinets, etc. to bury his leftovers, does it w/ my food too!
  • Munchkin and Black Jack frequently try to bury the food dish. &nbsp';P'urrdy feels she must dig the air to get water out of the dish. &nbsp';P'eanut (I am his human) only has one quirk...he thinks my husband should never get close to me.  He gets between us and begs me to pick him up.
  • my cusine have a cat but having problem of doing here wash any idea for it.
    she is cute as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ============================
    Earl Nunes
  • Some folks may not like this, but we have used a "scat mat" to train our dogs and my brother's cat.  You can find them online.  The one we have is plastic and battery operated.  You put in on whatever surface you do not want the animal on (in our case it was a couch)  When they jump on it it delivers an audible beep and a shock that is comparable to a stout static shock.  (I know because I accidentally leaned on it while vaccuming behind the couch one day.)  If you have your papertowels on the counter and space allows this might work for you. 

Cats seems to always pick a few things they are nutty about.  Mine LOVES pony tail holders.  To the point that he can spot them nearly anywhere ':)'
  • I have a cat that will paw the ground before she drinks water.  I am not sure what prompts this kind of cat behavior. 

Thank you all for your suggestions.  It is interesting to hear about all the diffferent "cat quirks". 
  • My sis have a small cat but she is not eat food proper give me some idea.
    she is sweet as well.
    ====================
    James
  • Do you mean she doesn't eat enough food or she eats something other than cat food?