Quick Post

Anyone have tortoises

Anyone have tortoises
  • We found a large desert tortoise in the road this morning, a female, about 2 feet long, huddled up as it was 37 degrees.  I don't think they are native to our particular area, maybe someone dumped her by the stream thinking she'd do well there?  Anyways, it is cold so we put her in a dogloo with hay stuffed around her.  Is it too cold for her to be out, should we bring her in?
  • Well of course you should bring the tortoise inside. Thats exactly what you need with all those puppies and dogs. [':D'
    I use to know someone who did tortoises? Let me think.......
  • We emptied out the closet under the stairs, put in a heater and a box filled with hay and I think she's slowly defrosting, poor thing....
  • Glad she is inside and defrosting. I think I remember who had tortoises. Do you want me to see if I can contact them?
  • My friend James Hood have a tortoises but he is small and I every day go to see him to my friends place and like to play with him, he is really too good.
    ===============================
    Earl Nunes
  • tortoises hibernate if the outside temperature drops to a certain level, I strongly advise bringing her in and putting her in a box, under a rock or shelter with a heat lamp on. You can stop them hibernating by bringing them inside where its warm and they will stay active throughout the winter. We had two herman tortoises but we swapped them for a pair of Galah parrots 
  • Turns out she was a sulcata tortoise which is from Africa and does not hibernate.  On our way home on Weds., Kelly spotted a sign one road over and it was her owners, looking for her!  Her name is Crush.  She came from about a mile away, down 3 different roads!  So, she is back home, had dug out of her garden.....
  • Hah well I never! I have never heard of escapee tortoises before, but glad she is safe and well, silly thing getting lost, any truck or car could've crushed her!