Quick Post

Pictures added: Dobie anyone?

Pictures added: Dobie anyone?
  • I've been worrying about the young doberman next to me, got put in a large pen where the owner had to hoist him over the chain link because there is no gate because he killed some chicks..... no real human contact, just water in a bucket and food thrown over the fence on the ground.  Sweet, wild boy.  My girls have been hopping over the fence and spending time w/ him but he barks almost ceaselessly.  I've been feeding him in the mornings since he seemed thin.  Then the neighbor said he wanted to find a home for him so I found some people who wanted him.  Then he changed his mind and said he was going to try to train him.  In the meantime, it got cold, rained here and the poor dog had no shelter except some orange trees..... called and said we were worried because it was cold and could we bring him in to our place at night.  A kid's playhouse showed up in his pen.  We put a couple flakes of hay in there for more warmth.  Yesterday, the owner called me and said "You can have the dog!"

As soon as we got home from Pony Club, my neighbor's son helped us hoist him over the chainlink fence.  He froze in terror out there, never been out, I think.  Took a while to get some movement out of him but he's now esconsced in my backyard.  He's making poor Skyler crazy because he's so starved for interaction.  He has no manners, big boy likes to leap up on you, gave me a fat lip but a well-placed knee in the chops and chest the next time he came for me made a big impression and he's much better.  Got him a pretty blue collar and he's been quiet all night.  Actually got to sleep in because he wasn't barking at 4:30 which has been the usual forever....... so hopefully today one of the people who wanted him before will come take him to his forever home.  His name was Caesar but we're thinking of a new name that suits him because he's a big chicken really :) 

• My labrador Judas was like that. Very rude and almost nonexistent food and space manners. He loved jumping up or sitting on you. He needed a sign, 'cute furry butt beware' on him somewhere. He'd plop down without a warning, then look over his shoulder at you with a big grin on his face. [':D'] He did a big turn around eventually though. [':)'] It just took consistent teaching with him (and almost a years worth of effort). He was worth it.
  • He seems to be a quick learner, sweet, worried brown eyes.  It started raining so I brought him in and at first he just froze inside the door.  I don't think he's been in a house before  ':('  The other dogs helped him to move through the house and I have him tied to the heavy dining room table by the window.  He was chewing on the towels so made him a kong with an old bone and some peanut butter smeared inside.  His head is over the table!  We were eating lunch and he just plunked his front feet up there...... hyper, anxious, BIG puppy.....  He now sits and lets me love on him when I approach which is great ':)'
  • Bless you, dana.  They sure are big ol' loveable dogs.  I loved a dobie once.  He was a step-dog.  And as with everything my ex cared about, he was abused. [&o]
  • He's coming along, doing better walking through the house, only barked once last night and then settled down but the sweet thing was I brought him over to the couch on a leash and Gary and I took turn rubbing him with our hands and feet and at first he looked scared, then started leaning into it and finally relaxed and laid down ':)'  Life as a pet.  Got them all big rawhide chewies for tonight.
  • This dog is such a goober..... let him off his leash in the house to go out this morning.  Skyler was already waiting by the door.  Caesar runs over, sees the door isn't open turns around and his head goes under Skyler's stomach.  Does he pull back and go around him, NOoooooooo, he just keeps plowing ahead, flipping poor Skyler's hind end up in the air because Caesar is much taller..... Oh my goodness....... this dog has no clue how to be around anyone, man or dog....... He acts like he wants to eat the little chihuahua, not snarling aggressive, just goes for him w/ his mouth.......  Had a wonderful quiet night though, sure he's loving being in from the cold ':)'
  • He will learn eventually. It may take him an entire year! But he will learn eventually. ':)' It takes time for dogs to notice what is beyond them, and some take longer than others.

He's young yet, so he is still learning. ':)'

Post pics soon. I want to see this handsome guy already! [':D']
  • He's catching on.  Let him in tonight and he ran around sniffing things frenetically for a while.  My husband says he has ADHD..... but when I took him in to his bed and gave him a rawhide, he settled right down so he's figuring it all out.  It's neat watching him run, he really covers ground, springing along on those long legs.  Skyler, the heeler runs low and smooth.  Caesar bounds along, head high.  Are dobies sight hounds or scent?
  • That's a great question, dana!  I don't know the answer but when I was learning some stuff from the local K9 SAR they always tried to find the dogs' best talent and use them in that way.  (bloodhounds excluded cuz everyone KNOWS what they are)  You could conduct experiments like taking pieces of treats and hide them around the yard.  Keep him on the leash and walk him over to the first one and say "find it" (only once or twice).  This one you have to direct his attention to.  After that he should catch on pretty quickly.  He's a smart boy.  I love that you've got him.  He's a foster, right?  They are such sensitive dogs.  I hope he finds the perfect home.  Thank you SO much for being a dog-person. 
  • Dana, neither.  They were bred to be aggressive and intelligent dogs, meaning a protection and companion animal.

There are a few herding/working/hunting dogs in their background, like the Beauceron, German Short Haired Pointer and German Shepherd Dog, but they weren't even used for herding despite that. They were bred as a guard dog. Police may use them, but not for any particular job like sniffing or tracking.

My mother used to own Dobermans. She gave her female to a friend after she'd find the dog under her newborn's crib (my older brother) growling at her, trying to protect the baby.

They're supposed to be incredibly loyal dogs.
  • Hmmm, we had greyhounds and they were sight hounds. 

I really want him to go to his forever home soon before he really bonds with me.  I was filling the dog pool tonight and called him over and he stood there quietly, letting me stroke his head and neck, rub his chest and massage his ears and he started to lean in which he's never done.  He's still like a torpedo, zooming around, running into your shins, poking you with his looooong nose but I think he is slightly calmer ':)'  I'll try to get pictures of him.

I was telling the vet about him and she likes dobies and said she'd start spreading the word and the vet tech we've known forever said she'd think of people who lost dogs and might be ready for a new one.  Keep your fingers crossed.
  • Dobermans are military and police protection dogs, but you don't see them very often because they are very sensitive to the cold, which negates them in 75+% of the country during the winter. Sight hounds are speed 'hunting' dogs, like Greyhounds, Whippets, Irish Wolfhounds, etc.

Dobes are nicknamed 'velcro' for how they stick to their persons side. They're also huge leaners.

Hope you find someone for him.
  • Still fostering Caesar aka "Goober."  He gets neutered tomorrow ':)'  Not that he's particularly horny but he's throwing his weight around and just like a heat seeking missile, always moving, can run so fast and not very coordinated with his big feet, long legs so runs into everyone, does face plants, etc. ':)'  Hoping getting him fixed will slow him down some and make him more attractive to someone.  Getting some help paying for it from a rottweiller rescue that got wind of him from some contact out there.  He is getting more affectionate although you have to be careful petting him because he is so spastic and flails with his long legs and whips his head around so I usually am rubbing on him with my face turned away........ Getting better at "wait, off" and comes really well.  He is going to be such a cool dog for someone......
  • Hope Dobie-boy is doing well.  He's going to make a wonderful family member for someone!  Thanks for being his savior, dana!!
  • Caesar is officially no longer able to make little Caesar's!  They really liked him at the clinic.  Poor guy slid off the seat on the way home at a stop sign, pretty groggy...... He was very happy to go to his spot in the house and collapse on his bed.