Quick Post

Picture of New little dog!

Picture of New little dog!
  • Kelly has been begging for a chihuahua and I've been coming up with so many reasons not to get her one but I guess it all comes down to:  she's an amazingly good kid who has a way with animals, never complains about having to take care of our current animals and it would mean the world to her so today I decided to go by the animal shelter just to see what they had.  Big mistake...... there he was, all 4 pounds of scrawny little chihuahua, shivering in the morning chill, huge, brown eyess searching mine, little tail that whipped out from between his skinny little legs and wagged furiously when I spoke to him through the plexiglass...... had the girl get him out and sat with him on my lap.  He cuddled in and finally quit shivering after about 5 min.  Called Kelly........ she said to come get her so I did.  So, now we're waiting on him to get neutered and hopefully they're treating for his nasty case of kennel cough.  Poor little guy was wheezing and you could see his little chest retract.  You can see his skeleton, every single vertebrae [:o]  Despite his condition, he started to get friendly and fling himself against Kelly as she held him :)  Terrible to have to leave him there.  I was hoping they would send him home with us to get better on antibiotics (they do a contract w/ some sick dogs where you bring them back to get fixed) but no....... so hopefully he's getting treated now.  At least the brand-spanking new facility has heated floors in the kennels :)  No pictures yet, sorry but he's a fawn/white color.

Here's Dobbie-feeling much better!

• YAY Kelly!  What's his name? 
    Carmy has a cough that comes and goes.  It's sort of like allergies and I hate the thought of her having it when she's old.  It's tough enough now.  But the doctor says it's really nothing, just a reaction to: dust, smoke, dry leaves, strong perfume....etc.
    Sometimes she goes into a fit if the water goes down the wrong way...
  • He's soooo tiny!  I'm coming from the perspective of a person who has always had labs, retrievers and such.  Buying extra small stuff was weird!  Kelly chose 2 jackets, a harness, collar, leash, tiny tennis balls, chewies, can't remember what else....... Never had a dog that needed clothes either!

Kelly is so excited, she's walking on air.  Early X-mas present for her ':)'  Hasn't named him yet but likes "Aiden"and some other names I can't think of right now.  For some reason they were calling him "Boots" at the pound.  Doesn't have white feet or anything.....
  • some dogs don't like clothes but if you wait till it's chilly out he will be very grateful. [':)']
    Boots? [:'(] Why not just flip-flop or something? [8|]    
    Tell her be really careful sleeping with him.  I don't let Carmy sleep at my feet anymore (under the covers).  My legs got tangled and I hurt her in my sleep pretty bad early on. [':('] It's hard to forgive myself but she has so....  I learned how to sleep really really still.  And I make her stay up closer to my pillow.  I make little scratching noises on the sheet with my fingernail and she moves to that spot. [':)']
    I'm excited for Kelly.  I know she will be a great dog-mom! 
    I like Aiden! (she could start with A and work her way through the alphabet!! [':D'])

• Yay!!! for Kelly and the tiny tyke.
    Be careful of the little toys with the other dogs?
  • The shelter got him fixed today and we picked him up early this evening, still groggy.  He has kennel cough so he's quarantined to her room and the front yard now, another vet appt. on Friday morning for more antibiotics.  She was so excited when she got out his toys and as out of it as he was, he played! 

Thanks for the warnings on sleeping with him.  I think she plans on having him by her head although, until she can bathe him, she's got him set up in a drawer.  Poor little guy has had it rough, bald patches on his toes, his ears are a little tattered, scraped and filthy, probably from dumpster diving.  He seems so solemn but I'm glad to hear he played.

Pictures tomorrow ':)'
  • Carmy (she's not chihuahua) has a little cough occasionally when she drinks her water wrong or if she smells a strong smell - smoke, perfume, air freshener, my cooking... [':)']
    It persists for a bit and I hate to think of her doing that when she gets old.
  • Was worried so called and the vet said to bring him in.  Poor little guy has pneumonia!  Got some sub-cu fluids, antibiotic injection, anti-nausea injection and took a stool sample to check for parasites.  He was very vocal about not liking all that which is good, I think!  Kelly said he's actually eating a little bit now ':)'  Poor little guy should never have been neutered in such poor shape......
  • Got a call from the vet wondering how he was doing and to let us know he has round worms....... sometimes he seems to be doing better and other times he's just so pitiful and worries me...... I feel so mean because he quit taking his pills in food and I have to cram them down him now but at least we don't have to do the anti-nausea meds anymore.  Using the syringe to get him some liquids because he won't drink....... guess we're doing OK because at least when we take him out he pees and went #2 this morning.  It's in the 30's so we stick him in his little jacket but he hates putting his little feet down and looks around like he's surveying Antarctica or something...... I took him out this morning so Kelly could sleep in and when I put him on her bed, he starting nosing under the covers, whimpering........ Maybe he'll eat better now that he doesn't associate food w/ pills.  I think I'll try a scrambled egg w/ him.  I remember our other starving dog would eat those when nothing else would tempt her.

Well, keep your fingers crossed for him ':)'
  • Oh my goodness!  Little Dobby is doing so much better!  Kelly called me into her room and he was running around, fetching his squeaky toy, leaping, jumping and so happy!
  • what can I say but, "YEE-HAW!"
  • YAY for Dobby and Kelly!!!  (and the whole dog-rescuing Stark clan!!)
  • Woo hoo! clapping hands.
  • The picture I posted is from yesterday.  I'll have to post some of when we got him.  He's really filling out and has a lot of energy but loves snuggling most although when he gets around the other dog he puts his machismo on ':)'  Struts around, all 4 lbs. of him and gives Caesar what for and makes him back off if he gets to fresh ':)'