Quick Post

River is at her new home -Look what followed us home!

River is at her new home -Look what followed us home!
  • Coming back from a ride tonight, this little one appeared in the road ahead of us.  She was afraid of Rusty, who had accompanied us.  After several near misses w/ cars, we ended up in front of her.  Kelly got off Tahoe and tried to coax her to come to her but she wouldn't.  We continued down the road toward home and she started following us.  She walked behind Kelly the whole way and finally let her pet her.  I think she's an American Eskimo, female, mature.  Thought she had mange at first but from about her shoulders back, her fur is terribly matted and I think the tail is bald from her pulling off chunks of matted hair.  We took the scissors to her as she had wads flapped off her legs, have found so many foxtails embedded in her, poor girl.  One of her cheeks has a big lump, thought it might be a tooth abscess but then found a tic attached to the tip of it?  She is so sweet, poor little thing.  Sent off pictures and emails to the SoCal rescue I found online.  Poor little girl :(  Kelly is calling her Sadie.  Her eyes are so sad but she sure knew how to sit and look pretty when Shaylea brought out the canned food!

• Look at Kelly holding that girl!  She looked bigger until I saw that picture.  She's another one's got a little age on her, don't you think?  She looks sweet.
    Might as well set up a rescue so you can be tax deductible!  You have room for kennels.  Maybe Gary can keep his bikes outside!  ROFL!
    I think you should get BOTH of those visitors shaved! 
  • Opened the front door and she is wedged into the big cardboard box we gave her last night!  Not coming out yet, she's a little wary still.  She isn't skinny and we noticed a plate w/ some dry food on it in the stream area we rode through where she first showed up so I think someone was feeding her ':)'  We had seen another starving dog in the area back in Sept. when we first moved in and would leave food, reported in to Animal control, haven't seen it in months.

I'll see what I can do to get her shaved today.  Can't take her to a groomer w/out shots.......
  • So, took "Sadie" in to the vet to get the bump on her cheek checked out and shots to she could go to the groomer.  Turned out she had a microchip so contacted her "owner."  They live in Orange County (Disneyland) about 45 min. away and had given her to a co-worker, who gave her to a family member and who knows what happened to her after that...... anyways, the people at the vet and I were pretty disgruntled by their lack of real concern.  Didn't offer to come get her, pay for any of her care, said I could have her.  She's 8 yrs. old, used to be called "Munchkin." So, she needed surgery for the abscess and while knocked out, they shaved her.  Said they have never seen such a pitifully neglected dog or so many embedded foxtails.  Took 4 techs with 2 sets of clippers and tweezer, over 2 hrs. before they finally gave up for the day and let her wake up.  Poor girl has drains coming out of her cheek, is shaved to the skin and very wobbly but tomorrow she's going to feel so much better!  Got some medicated shampoo to bath her tomorrow.  She has black stripes on her skin where the matts of hair split apart and dirt got in, looks like a tiger.....  Called hubby and he said to do what I had to do..... good man ':)'  Several hundred dollars later, she's "home."  Have 2 possible homes for her.  I'll post more pictures tomorrow.  She finally gave in and laid down and is sleeping.  She was so pitiful, sitting there, eyelids batting, wobbling and jerking awake...... despite the anesthesia, she must feel soooooo much better!
  • She is certainly a smart dog.  She knew who to follow to receive the care she needed.  God Bless You!
  • sort of make me want to cry.... 
  • Took Sadie in and they took out her drain and said she's looking good.  She loved the car ride, so perky and inquisitive.  Wanted to be in my lap so Kelly hung on to her.  Took her to Petco and got her a shirt to keep her warmer and protect her from the sun.  Got a new collar and leash too-ours are for big dogs.  She's acting so much better, a real sweetie ':)'

Here are pictures of sweet Sadie from yesterday.  Her skin is looking much less swollen, pink and irritated today.  Love how she sits with her little hind legs together!

• What a sweetie!  So the stupid old owners said her name is Sadie?  (I guess I need to go back and re-read)  How could someone dump such a sweetie??  Bless you Dana!  You're wonderful!
  • No, Kelly started calling her Sadie, then we found out her name used to be Munchkin.  Doesn't suit her at all!!

Was sauteeing chicken tonight and dropped some when I was chopping it up.  Talk about "at attention!!"  She really liked that ':)'  She's very good about gobbling down her pills and likes to be glued to your side.  Can't imagine how she would have gotten lost...... must have either dumped her or left her outside without attention long enough for her to finally fend for herself ':('
  • [quote=danastark]
    No, Kelly started calling her Sadie, then we found out her name used to be Munchkin.  Doesn't suit her at all!!

New life - new name!!!   I bet she loves Sadie!  Maggie-dane used to be Lucy, which is okay but I imagine the life she led as Lucy... a neglected unloved breeding machine.
    My son (hard-head) still calls her Lucy and she responds to him but she likes Maggie.
  • My aunt is going to take her!!  I told her to think of a name she wants so we can start calling her that ':)'  We are going up to my cousin's (her son's) wedding the end of July so we'll have her until then and drive her up to Northern Cal.  My aunt has a motorhome, likes to travel some and Sadie will be a perfect size to go in the motorhome and she loves to go in a car ':)'

She found her voice this morning.  When the dogs were doing their usual morning challenge at the fence with the neighbor's dogs, she joined in from next to me.  Cute voice, not yappy, just normal small bark.

Gary thinks Skyler is too girly of a name for my dog so he calls him Larry.  The dog responds to both!!
  • JOY JOY JOY!!!  Sadie's going on the road with Auntie!  How perfect!!! 

Larry... *snicker*
  • Sadie is now "River!"  My aunt said her full name will be Riverside because that's where she was found and born again but she'll call her River.  So now we're trying to remember to call her that!  Took her and all the other dogs for a walk tonight in the cool, evening air.  I now know where the saying "high tailing it" comes from!!  We could see what looked like two dogs coming toward us in the dusk, then the two actual dogs broke off and ran through the field while a very riled up skunk kept running straight toward us, tail straight up in the air!!  Luckily it veered off and ran under some bushes.  We ran into what was left of it's spray, Whew!!!  Came home a different road just in case it was still hiding and Rusty, who was loose found it...... 
  • [:'(]   I'll go no further.

OH yes I will.  My riding friend said wasp spray was good to carry.  Shoots 20 feet!  Give Mr.Skunky a taste of his own medicine.  I wish the cans were a better size for riding...
  • Funny!  Poor little guy, felt sorry for him with those dogs chasing him.  My mom's dog got it once, spent lots of time and cans of tomato juice getting him to smell better........