Quick Post

Rusty found a home!!!

Rusty found a home!!!
  • Well, got some not-so-good news today.  The mastiff rescue picked up Bear on Sat. and was going to come get Rusty this next weekend.  They did X-rays on Bear and found pretty bad dysplasia in his elbows and hips so are trying to figure out what to do with him.  There was a family who wanted to adopt him but after finding out he will need meds for the rest of his life, they may not want him anymore.  Waiting for an answer on that.  If they can't find a home, then they are discussing putting him down..... in the meantime, they can't take Rusty in.  There was a family interested in Rusty but we're pretty sure he has at least hip dysplasia (hard to get up sometimes, can't support himself on one hind leg when scratching) so not sure what will happen with him.  She was going to see if maybe they would take Bear since he's already there.  I said if they really want Rusty, I'll trade and take Bear back.  I've been giving Rusty aspirin along with an acid reducer and he is running around here like a spring chicken!  Keep your fingers crossed that someone can see  beyond the cost of pain meds to the rewards of doggy love and gratitude :)
  • Maggie dane, because of her sheer size and weight, has some of those issues.  Dragging herself to her feet, etc.  I barely feed her and she blows up like a cow. [':)']  But I give her glucosamine just because so many of the others get it anyway.  I get it from horse.com and it's not expensive.  I know she will eventually be worse.  Some people say "I'd never get a greatdane because they don't live that long"  No one knows how long ANY dog will live and they're missing out on a great animal!  (probably just as well for the animal)  I only adopt adult dogs and they won't have a complete lifespan with me anyway.  Nothing wrong with elders!  Okay, sorry about the soapbox.  I hope Rusty gets a chance to be the great dog that he is.  I can understand Bear, since his structure is so bad.  I had a GSD live on remidyl for years and it was great for him.  OH dana.  What a mess.  Thank goodness it's in the hands of the rescue.  I know they want to do what's best for the dogs.  You've done everything you can.  They'd have starved to death or gotten shot by now if it weren't for you!  Or run over!  Thanks for rescuing them.  They are much better off, no matter how this turns out.  AND they know that not all people are bad.  Good job!
  • That's very sad.  I hope some kind hearts will step up and help these boys.  Maybe that's why they got dumped in the first place... 
    At least you can know you've done what you can and these dogs will at least have had some happy days.
  • No news, but the rescue lady had a business trip and won't be back until Sat. afternoon so nothing will be decided until then.  In the meantime, Rusty continues to endear himself to us.  He's feeling so much better with good nutrition (getting the expensive dog food now!, plus flaxseed oil, fish oil, aspirin, famotadine and glucosamine w/ MSM) and lots of love ':)'  When we call him, his head whips around, tail goes up and he comes gallumping toward us!  He loves to flop onto his back and wiggle his legs around, scratching his back and "whoo-whoo!" in joy ':)'  We were setting up the jumps and getting Annie and Skyler to jump and I took off running  calling Rusty w/ me and jumped the jump and he jumped too!  Need to get some new pictures now that he's not afraid anymore and part of our pack.  My humane society friend is going to ask if they are currently taking any new dogs.  Maybe that will be the way to go with him.
  • I use Glycoflex 2 and  rotate these 2 products a week to 10 days at a time. 

http://www.horse.com/item/animed-pure-glucosamine-powder/BWA05/ http://www.horse.com/item/animed-pure-msm/SLT700318/

You of course have to figure the proper dosage but the affect on Captain has been amazing. I am out of options for him and this at least makes him comfortable.
    The over the counter Glucosamine and MSM was ineffective compared to these. 

Fantastic job Dana getting those Big Dogs rescued. BRAVO to you!!!!!!
    I would try to limit any jumping if Dysplasia is a concern. 

• Where do you get the Glycoflex?  I got the highest dose of glucosamine I could get yesterday, but if there is something that will work better that would be great.  Just started him on it as I didn't think he was staying so now I'm upping the supplements and giving him better food although he eats about 6 cups a day!!  Yikes!  My 70 lb. husky only gets 2 cups a day......

Yeah, I didn't think he would jump, just go under the poles!  Crazy boy....
  • Dana I have a vet tech friend that gets the Glyco flex 2 from the clinic she works at. But you can google it and find several sources. I was amazed at the results from this Glucosamine. http://www.horse.com/item/animed-pure-glucosamine-powder/BWA05/
    [font="tahoma"]It really worked much better than any dose or brand that I have previously tried. I started the MSM in rotation because it seems that Captain would start a backslide after a few months. I think I will start extending the amount of time he is on the glucosamine again. He is not dysplastic but has a different issue. Captain also gets 6 cups a day. So you are keeping him?????
    [/font]
  • Okay, I'll check that brand out.  He is doing so much better.  This morning when I was feeding, he was running alongside my 2 dogs, looking good, actually got into it w/ my husky because they were bumping shoulders and decided to get grumpy, not sure who "won" but no blood so no foul......

Although there's a part of me that would love to keep him as he's a big love and we spent so much time and effort finally "rescuing" him, he is really fanatical about my cats and I can't have that..... Right now when I let him in, he's tied up the whole time to our heaviest couch and the cats are petrified and on the highest shelf in my closet!  We've had a couple close calls and that would be horrible if anything happened so he's got to go.  I am taking him in to the Humane Society next week to be evaluated to see if they think he would be a good adoption candidate if I don't hear good news from the mastiff rescue lady this weekend.
  • Waiting for news on Bear, still have Rusty at my place.  He's getting around so much better with his pain meds/supplements, getting into our routine.  Always so happy to see us when we come out to feed or get up and come downstairs in the morning.  Caught a rabbit yesterday evening and cleaned Annie's clock when she tried to steal it.  First time she's ever been dominated and had to back down...... he's not overboard about it but definitely throws his weight around!  He will bark at people passing by but nothing cuckoo, just lies there and lets out big woofs that would deter just about anyone!  Leaves the horses alone.  Skyler really likes him.  Annie is so touchy and snaps at him for every little thing where Rusty lets him play, banging into him and jumping around like a spazz!  It's foxtail season here and a daily job picking them out of him and Annie.......
  • Rusty is now listed on Pet Finder through a west coast mastiff rescue organization and someone from Las Vegas (about 3 hrs. away) is interested!  That's doable.  If they really want him, they have to come see him.  He's doing so well, his coat is gorgeous from all the good food and supplements he's getting, he's had his shots, he's neutered and he's really feeling good, starting to gallump around like a puppy although you have to watch his big mouth because he plays with his mouth open, smiling and hits you with his enormous teeth by accident!  Ouch!!

Keep your fingers crossed!!!!
  • FINGERS ARE CROSSED!!! [':)']
  • They are coming to see him with their dog on Monday!!!  Keep your fingers and toes crossed that Rusty has finally found his forever home ':)'  I will sure miss the big guy, we've had him about 8 mos. now!  Sounds like a wonderful home.  Viva Las Vegas!!
  • Keep your fingers crossed for Rusty.  A lady is coming up Weds. afternoon to check him out.  She's got a 100+ lb golden retriever, had to put to sleep her 13 yr. old 120 lb. lab a couple months ago and is looking for another big dog.  Sounds great.  Hopefully she won't disappear like the people who were supposed to come on Labor Day.......
  • Sounds like a great match!  Sounds like someone who needs to be surrounded by HUGE dogs!!  I'll hope for the best!
  • I have been following Rusty and Bears saga from the start and keeping my fingers crossed things work out for him today!!Good Job with them![':D']