Quick Post

We did it!! Taming semi-wild dogs

We did it!! Taming semi-wild dogs
  • Almost 3 mos. after trying to get these dogs to let us get near them, we accomplished it!!  Rusty was the first to let us pet him on Easter and Bear finally did tonight and has quickly gone from a dog we couldn't get within 40 feet of, to one we can rub allover.  Turns out they are Tibetan mastiffs and a rescue is going to be picking them up.  Happy ending to their story!!

Well, my latest project is trying to tame 2 dogs that were probably dumped on our road.  We live on a private dirt road, only 2 houses in all with 10 vacant acres across from us and 2 acres to one side.  2 beautiful big dogs (about 70+ lbs., long, flowing hair, one black w/brown muzzle,  the other reddish with black muzzle, almost look like Newfie crosses....) showed up about 3 wks ago, hanging out down in the stream area below us.  There are a lot of dogs that wander around here, most people let them just wander but they belong to someone so I assumed these were part of that group.  Someone dumped a dead goat down by the stream also and I think that's what they've been living on [:'(]  They have been hanging out in the 10 acres now for weeks, sleeping in the field or under a juniper tree,  very skittish.  I've tried to coax them to come but the black one is especially afraid.  So, I bought a huge bag of the least expensive dog food I could get and have started going out, whistling, and putting food down for them.  I'm hoping that eventually they will come around.  I don't think they've always been wild, big dogs like that couldn't have survived on their own and they look to be in pretty good shape although with all that hair, it's hard to tell.  Animal control won't come get them unless they're aggressive because we are county and they are so overwhelmed.  Any ideas for how to bring them in would be appreciated.  This morning they were lying out in the field so I went out and put food out.  As soon as I start to cross the road, the black one moves off but within 10 minutes they were eating :)  They are coming to the food faster.  Poor things.  Keeping my fingers crossed that neither of them is a female and carrying puppies!
  • You're doing exactly what I'd be doing to start with.  You might take a squeaky toy with you sometime and see how they respond - just out of curiosity.  I guess they have water, right? 

Another thing you might try is, when you're approaching at feeding time and you have their attention and they aren't retreating, point and say "sit".  If they do it say "GOOD DOG!!! "  and throw a little "you're such a good dog" party. See what else they will do.  At that point they may come up to you... If not just don't push it.  As the days go by they will trust you more and more.  Once the food is on the ground just leave them alone.  You might sit nearby until they finish to see what they do. 

I bet they stink.  We picked up a kitten that was living with a dead cat.  *gag*
  • Yes, there's a year 'round stream on our road with clean water for them so that's not a concern.  Today, I noticed they were watching the house and would go over to the rock where I've been putting the food and sniff around for more.  They won't let me get within 50 feet of them right now.

Your kitten story reminds me of a dumpster diver kitty we rescued once, wow did she smell bad!  During and after her bath I think she was rethinking her decision to let us catch her!
  • I thought I posted a response yesterday...hmmm.  Anyway, I also think you're on the right track.  I would put out their food and then sit a good distance away to see if they'd come eat while you're in sight.  Then gradually move a bit closer and closer.  If they weren't born feral I think they'll come around eventually.  It might take a while, you never know what their old humans did to them to make them so skittish.

Our county also won't pick up stray dogs and there is no dog policy out in the sticks...so, when well intentioned farmers call wondering about what to do with a stray that showed up on the property I have to tell them we won't do anything.  It's really sad because a lot of the time the caller decides the only alternative is to shoot the dog.  I'm glad you're looking after these guys.
  • Too funny!  When I came down our road tonight, there were two big dogs, lying by their rock where I put the food.  The black one got up and moved off a ways but settled down while I got my stuff out of the car, not making any eye contact.  Kelly and I took out their food right away, not making eye contact but the poor black dog took off several hundred feet away.  The brown one kind of sauntered off about 50 ft.  Now, 10 minutes later, they're back enjoying dinner and my dogs are complaining!!!
  • The dogs seem to be coming along.  This morning they showed up about 6:30 which is when I feed the horses.  I had Kelly feed them in bowls, hoping maybe that little bit of civilization will spark some memory of domestication, moved the bowls across the road to our side by our gate.  They came and ate and when we backed out the driveway, they moved off a little but not too bad.  When I come down the road and see them, I say "Hi" so they get used to my voice.  Boy, are they hairy!  They might be something big mixed with chow because they have big, furry manes around their heads.
  • The neighbor's dog (female) has decided coming to eat at our place is a good thing.  They're going to start wondering why their dog is fat!!  The two strays give her a wide berth.  Coming home today, the black dog was lying fairly close to the road so I got a good look at it's face and it is such a beautiful dog.  Has that noble Newfie kind of face.  The rust colored dog seems like a very happy-go-lucky one with it's tail in the air, trotting around the field.  The black dog seems depressed........
  • Are you sure they aren't lost?

I'd love to see pictures!  I'm glad you're documenting.  I've been off a couple of days.
    Have you tried a squeaky toy? [':)']
  • I haven't been able to get close enough to see if either of them has a collar and they've been kind of elusive the last day or so.  I was in San Diego last night and today, didn't get home 'til tonight and the bowls of food were still full but then about 1/2 later when we were leaving to go out to dinner, they were there eating but disappeared into the night as soon as we appeared.  They showed up about the same time as someone dumped a dead goat in the stream area down our road a little ways so don't know if that attracted them and then they decided this was a good place to hang out or if they just got dumped like the goat......  People sometimes dump things like trash down there......[>:]  I guess they think the world is their trash can.....  I've been meaning to put up a private road sign, see if that helps any.
  • Maybe a gate?
  • No doggies today but it's been pouring rain all day so they're probably hunkered down somewhere trying to stay dry. 
    We basically fed crows and the neighbor's dog and&nbsp';p'eahens today!  I'll go put more food out there anyways, just in case they show up.
  • I fed some starving pit bulls today.  The people have moved out, left a MESS plus two dogs tied up.  I took them water and food.  I'll be calling the humane society soon.  OH a kitty hitch hiked home with me.  She was begging for food, too, so I said "hop in kitty you can hang out a while"  I'm hoping she will find her way back outside and wander home, assuming she's got a good one - she's in pretty good shape for being so hungry.  She purrs constantly.
  • That is just too sad...... with all the foreclosures, it's happening a lot too.  Did the kitty go home or did she decide she likes your digs better?  No stray cats where I live now!  Too many coyotes and loose dogs!!  My cats are mostly inside cats except for occasional forays out into the front yard to roll in the dirt, eat grass, then run back in to puke it up on something valuable!

I think these dogs are camera shy.  We mention getting pictures and poof, they disappear!  We'll see if they show up today with the sun.
  • OH LOOK!  We can't ****ume anything about gr**** anymore, can we?  rofl! The word nazi's are back!  Let's try Charles Dickens....  

Okay, Charles is safe but you bet your grass there will be more!!   *snicker*

The cat?  Dana?  What cat?  OHHHH!  You mean the ball of fur that's curled up on my pillow!

My neighbors down the street had coyotes on their porch looking in the windows.  I tried to put her outside this morning after her breakfast but she was fearful and wanted back in.
  • She's so cute ':)'  Looks like you've gained another critter to me!!
    She looks like a cat we had when I was growing up, named "Song."

My wild doggies haven't shown up yet although my dogs were barking like crazy out the front window last night about 1:45 and when I looked I could see the shadows of at least 3 dogs heading down the road in the fog.  Don't know if it was my guys or not though.  If they are truly gone, I hope they found better cir****stances.  Food was gone this morning so I put more out anyways.