Quick Post

MAREMMA sheepdog?

MAREMMA sheepdog?
  • Hi, anyone have any info about Maremma sheepdogs?  Thinking about getting one...   Thanks
  • I have one! He is really good with my sheep and does a grand job keeping preditors away.  you can google the Maremma sheepdog club of America (I think) and there is an LGD page out there that does a nice job of explaining all the LGDs.

You are looking for an LGD, I hope?  or a pet?  I know that a few dont make it as LGDs, but I think they are very few.  They need some sort of job. 

Ill try to answer questions for you, or get you in contact with others who have them. 
  • Hi Double Barrel, I just came across this info...lost my beloved Shelby last Sept. I had gotten her from a shelter and she lived 14 years, a very sweet and beautiful dog.  When I saw the Maremma it looks excatly like her!  He will be my pet and I do have a hobby farm with many types of animals he can "protect'!  One question- some furry dogs really smell bad; Shelby never did unless she rolled in deer droppings.  I've known some furry dogs that seem to just naturally smell good and some that naturally smell awful.  Just wondering which category the Maremmas fall into?  He will be in the house with us too, prolly sleep in the laundry room which stays cooler.  I know Shelby did not care for the too warm of the house (which due to frugality is only around 64' anyway)   I'm going to look at some pups on Saturday I hope.  My one worry is my Corgi who can be a bit jealous.  Thanks
  • oops, for got to ask- can you send or post a picture of your Maremma?   they are origianlly from Italy, so I'm trying to think of a good Italian boy name ':-)'
  • I dont think you are going to be able to have a LGD and a housedog both.  from the reading and such that I have done, you either get a guard dog or a pet.  Not really both with this breed.

My Artureo lives with the sheep 24/7 He has done just fine on our -30 nights that we have had here lately.

I have noticed an oder, but that was only in the jeep after we brought him home.  seemed to go away after a short time.  I didnt think it was any worse than the lab. 

Ill try a pic.  My computer tosses a fit once in a while. 
  • sorry its not the best pic.  it was taken last year with my cell phone

he is 4 now.  had him almost a year
  • forgot to add...  unless you have a predator problem, I dont think a Maremma is a good choice.  They really do do need a job.  I have read of some Maremmas being happy to protect children.  But as I said before, most are very, very happy to do there dutys with sheep, goats, birds, etc. 
  • Hello all,
    I live about 50 k's away from the Maremma region in Tuscany, Italy. We have quite a few Maremmanis around here, in fact up to about a year ago there was one, Zeus, right here at our barn. All I can say about Zeus that he was a very big, nice dog. A bit stubborn at times, which is , here anyway, usually met with a loud voice and a hit or two, but for me, he responded way better to a friendly voice and praise. I don't think he ever had a possibility to work with sheep, but he lived with the horses. I didn't see any particular herding instinct in him, but the breed is known to protect their herd, even against wolves. Zeus protected his herd of horses against cars. He ran down every car who came and left the place, which, at the end, unfortunately ended his life.
     As for Italian male names.......Pippo, Leo, Tony, Giulio, Evai (not a name, but means go, forward), Luigi....if you need more, just let me know[':D']
    Ulrike
  • I wasnt aware that Maremmas had any herding in them.  If anything they blend into the flock.  Mine too will try to 'chase' cars away from the flock, but since the flock is currently next to the road....  he is doing his job. 

Most folks know that the big white fluffy dog that lives here is doing just that.  (his job)

Good to hear from the homeland about them!  Thank you for sharing.  ':)'
  • hmm, thanks for all the input.  I do want to make the right decision- my Corgi is mostly a house guy now, and about 10 years old.  He's been doing some weird stuff lately- barking for no reason, growling and chasing the house cats, running off when he gets outside. I had him to the vet; he's healthy- do dogs get dementia?  I know Corgis need a job too, and they are herders, for sure!  I think Mremmas are more protective, and also that they are perfectly happy to live in the barn, but I can't see not having him in the house with us too.  I do have mini horses and also hope to get some pygmy goats soon.  I think there are coyotes here, and rumors of wolves and 3 sightings of a mountain lion too!  Mostly they look exactly like the shelter dog I had for 14 years, lost her last Sept.  Thanks for the anmes and great pic too.  Planning to go look at pups tomorrow.  Are they known for any certain health problems?
  • I did a yahoo! search on pastore maremmano and the first one who came up has a breed description and the whole site in english too. And of course there are tons of Italian breeder' sites. Health problem could be, since it's a big dog, HD. The breed registry should have some info about that.
    One Italian breeder is promoting the original, old type of Maremmano, also called Pastore Abbruzzese, which is fiery, hard headed and very protective. And it said that they are white so they don't get shot accidently when a pack of wolves is attacking the flock. Makes sense.....
  • I don#%92t think that the Maremmas are as prone to HD as the other big dogs (labs, rots, GSD, Mastiff, etc) because they aren#%92t ‘popular#%92 and over bred for the show ring.  In fact, I believe that if anything they are on a watch list and considered a rare breed.

Mostly due to the fact that the amount of shepherds have dwindled (at least here in the states) 

They do range.  So don#%92t forget to figure that into your next puppy.  I have followed mine for a mile.  This was during deer season, so he was ‘doing his job#%92 and Im pretty sure that he hasn#%92t ranged out that far since. 

The only problems that I know of, is that they are sensitive to anesthstisia.  Even a simple spay or neuter can result in death if your vet isn#%92t familiar with the breed.

Sounds like your corgi is doing the same stuff my lab is.  Silly lab needs more exercise, but I just had back surgery and the dr doesn#%92t want me outside L  Kids don#%92t really put their heart into a walk.  My folks are coming up tomorrow, so hopefully my dad will be happy to take a walk with her either down the road or out back to look for some bunnies. 

(I had to re-do this 3 times and finally had to cut and paste this before I came here!  Computer is tossing a major fit! ';)'
  • Yes, dogs CAN get dementia! 

Also, I have a great friend who used to raise and show Corgi's quite successfully.  She has two now.  I'll ask her about dementia in Corgi's and let her know yours is 10.

*snicker*  DB.....
  • [quote=Double Barrel]
     Silly lab needs more exercise, but I just had back surgery and the dr doesn#%92t want me outside. Kids don#%92t really put their heart into a walk.  My folks are coming up tomorrow, so hopefully my dad will be happy to take a walk with her either down the road or out back to look for some bunnies. 

Does your lab fetch?  I just bought my dad a really cool tennis ball slingshot for his lab.
  • yeah she fetches.... Brent is working on the 'remote' and 'boots

in the summer I just use a baseball bat and the tennis ball!  ';)'