Quick Post

Let's see your "farm" dogs :)

Let's see your "farm" dogs :)
  • Here are my two:

Annie, the husky who loves to bark and chase the horses like a fool, occasionally has gotten konked (skinned face, broken foot), takes a break and then forgets and goes back for more and hops into their mangers to eat their pellets, tries to snarl and keep them away and gets konked also....... Being white doesn't exactly fit with being a farm dog and 2+ dirty acres so she's usually perlino or cremello, I say! Hubby loves huskies so we seem to always have one but they are soooooo not made to be around other animals...... hunters to the core.

Skyler, our Australian cattledog mix (probably lab).  He's got major heeling/herding instinct and the older he gets, the more refined it seems to be.  He used to heel us (ouch!) and loves to patrol the fence line at feeding time, whines and follows me around reminding me it's time to feed if I'm a little off schedule, tries to herd the horses who won't cooperate.  They're actually pretty tolerant of him, haven't kicked him yet although he's been chased a few times and doesn't think he's so touch when he's looking at the front end of a horse! He's starting to try to make them move even when they aren't so I'm getting after him for that, makes a flying leap through their tails to try to start something, the little booger!

Little Skyler

All grown up now!

• Ooh!  Can I play?  I don't have a farm.  But, I have a dog and someday I'll have a farm.
    This is Jade.  She is a MinPin.  She's just over 1 year old.  She's met Reidar once and wasn't too sure what to think of him.  She thought the calves looked like fun til they got closer and she realized she's like 1/100th their size...  She really enjoys "sampling" the manure

• AWWWW! Does she love clothes?  My Carmy loves clothes!  She's a minpin/J.Russell cross.  I call her a parson pincher.  ':)'
  • Ah, come on Beth!  Names, stories, ya know, we want the whole ball of wax!
  • Bump!
  • This is Andy he is an aussie mix of some sort... he has been at the farm as long as I can remember after the labs died... he is always underfoot like any good farm dog...

• [quote=hunterseat]

AWWWW! Does she love clothes?  My Carmy loves clothes!  She's a minpin/J.Russell cross.  I call her a parson pincher.  ':)'

Yes, she loves her clothes.  Whenever I get out her winter coat (from the pic) she goes nuts.  A friend gave us hand me downs from her cat [8|] so Jade's got quite the wardrobe...shirts, sweaters, dresses, jackets, dragon costume, lobster costume, pig costume, elf costume...
  • Do tell!  Carmy would LOVE to see those costumes!  She's a true diva.
    Wow, dana.  I'll start from Large to small.
    Maggie dane.... (former name: Lucy) pulled from a kill shelter where her owner, who used her as a breeder, wouldn't pay the $40 to get her out.  She was producing milk when we got her and she was hw positive. (not as old as she looks)
    Charlie GSD, is he mine or is he my son's?  He was left here when son&DIL moved.  Good boy.  Got a bit of a nervous personality but does well when he has doggie friends.
    Sugar - old as dirt.  Deaf. She strayed up to my job.... probably 15 yrs ago. 
    TeddyBearDog - "abandoned" for all intents and purposes by former neighbors who wouldn't take care of him.  After a few trips to the vets with him I was really hoping they'd leave him.  Of course they did.  Smartest dog ever.  Horse savvy. 
    Major-minpin rescues from same kill shelter.  Turned in by owners as a fear biter.  They had him for his first 6 yrs - probably tomented the heck out of him.  He's a special case but we love him.  Just requires patience and understanding.  He's a sweet little guy.  Bonded BIG time with boywonder!
    Max - older than dirt.  No teeth. Pretty much deaf.  Sometimes spry.  Got him from Memphis Animal Shelter when he was 6.
    AND my Caramel, daughter dog.  No words can describe her! 
    I'll put another pic or two.  Just took some tonight.
  • Sugar and Max in the middle.  Little brown dogs and I don't care....my master's gone away! You can see the size difference in the three. 
  • My dog boys, Frank and Spot, are Aussies and the smartest dogs I have ever owned.  They know most of the horses by name it seems.  I can open a gate and they will guard it, not letting any horses out.  They help load, herd, and catch horses.  Better than any ranch hands I ever hired!  They love to ride in the truck and they love "their" cats.  The cats sleep in the dog houses, "knead bread" on them and they wash each other.  One mother cat had her kittens in the dog house with Frank!

I would love to be able to afford (they are so expensive) to get a couple of Aussie puppies so Frank and Spot could teach them how to work.  Frank and Spot are getting up there in age.  I have checked the rescues, but the Aussies I have found have had issues that make them unsuitable for  my ranch.  Some have no herding instinct, some bite or bark constantly, and some are too timid. 
  • Wonderful dogs!  I love the kitty in the food dish!!! [':)']  You make me want one!  I guess if I had a big place and work for them to do, I'd think about getting one.
  • Littlebit, they are precious!  I love the one with the kitty cuddled between his front legs!  My ACD needs someone to show him the ropes.  He is doing better with not trying to make them run just for fun now, I can call him off but otherwise ?  He knows he's supposed to make them do something!!
  • This is the little black dog aka "Cody".  I found him at the bottom of a box at the auction house 8 yrs ago.  Come to think of it it was blowing snow and ice that year right into the box so all the other pups were on top of him.  He was the only one that looked anything like a terrier as the others had taken the beagle looks.

He now thinks that he is a grand farm dog, though for a free hound he has cost me more than any other what with injuries and such.  Of course he thinks he is waaaay biger than he is but he wouldn't hurt a soul cause he is really a coward.  Scared of guns, thunder, lightening and even though he loves a car ride his nerves cause him to shake and pant as though it were a hundred in there.  He's a pretty good dog!

Have a few Goldens but they aren't really farm dogs because they are in the pen more than not.  They get carried away chasing the calves and when out you don't dare sit on the pourch or you will have a very wet golden head right in your lap!  Doesn't matter the temp they head for the pond when out.  They are good dogs though and love to be right with you every step of the way.  Didn't have any good pics of them though.
  • How cute!!  My mom had a golden but she was good about not chasing the horses.
  •  " border="0" />

Here are my boys, the one that is sitting and not looking at the camera is my baby Teddy, he is 6 years old, he is the typical schnauzer barks runs spunky lol all of it, he's a little spoiled though and his favorite color is red i dont care what people say i think dogs can see colors, the one in the middle is Koda, he is a pup kind of he's the youngest he will be 2 in feb. he is the only dog we have that doesnt run so he goes out with me and him and diablo get along really well, Koda doesnt chase diablo and diablo tries not to step on him lol The last one is Bear, he is 5 years old and Teddy's half brother, he belongs more to my grandparents than to me, he's very calm and lazy not like Teddy at all, and he doesnt get into things or tear things up like the other two lol