Quick Post

Pyracantha (firebush)

Pyracantha (firebush)
  • We a couple vacant acres next to us and are planning on expanding the horse pasture into there but I noticed that the neighbor behind us has pyracantha growing up and over the fence.  I looked it up and it is toxic, causes colic, diarrhea, etc.......

They speak mostly Spanish so I'm trying to figure out how to ask if we could remove the pyracantha and put in something more horse friendly?  Does anyone speak Spanish who could tell me how to explain that the pyracantha is poisonous?  They have a big QH breeding operation but none of their horses are on this particular line of fence.
  • I think I'd just find a translator. You should be able to do that if you're working for a school district, I'd think. Government entities and some medical groups (hospital groups) also know where to find translators.
  • Good idea!  I hadn't even thought of asking our community liaison.  Maybe she can write a note for me  ':)'
  •  

Perhaps we are thinking of different species, however, I don't think your neighbor's Pyracantha are dangerous to your horses.  Just keep them trimmed to their side of the fence if you don't like them. 

Here's what Wikipedia says about Pyracantha:

[BLOCKQUOTE]Uses
    Pyracanthas are valuable ornamental plants, grown in gardens for their decorative flowers and fruit, often very densely borne. Their dense thorny structure makes them particularly valued in situations where an impenetrable barrier is required. The aesthetic characteristics of pyracanthas plants, in conjunction with their home security qualities, makes them a considerable alternative to artificial fences and walls. They are also a good shrub for a wildlife garden, providing dense cover for roosting and nesting birds, summer flowers for bees and an abundance of berries as a food source. Pyracantha berries are not poisonous as commonly thought; although they are very bitter, they are edible when cooked and are sometimes made into jelly.[2][/SUP] In the UK and Ireland Pyracantha and the related genus Cotoneaster are valuable sources of nectar when often the bees have little other forage during the June Gap.

[/BLOCKQUOTE] Bet'cha didn't know that Pyracantha is a type of Rose?  I would imagine that the colic and such is because of the thorns, not the foliage.  Then again, anything that's high in Citric Acid can cause diarrhea in livestock.  Rose hips (the berries on Pyracantha) are extremely high in Citric Acid (also known as Vit. C).

Jelly recipie from Texas A&M (bolding in first paragraph added by myself):

[BLOCKQUOTE]  
    Pyracantha berries are not just, "for the birds." Contrary to a common myth, they are not poisonous. Pyracantha, a relative of apples and roses, is entirely edible.
    In late fall beautiful evergreen pyracantha shrubs bearing abundant pommes in festive reds, oranges and yellows adorn home landscaping and wild woodland areas, alike. Although thought to be native to Asia, pyracanthas have become valuable plants in the west as well.
    Pyracantha is a favorite shrub choice for home landscaping, wildlife gardens, and natural barriers for home security. They boast beautiful and densely borne white flowers for bees in the summer and abundant fruit for birds and other wildlife during the fall and winter.
    Edible Berries or Poisonous Berries?[/H3] In fact, pyracantha truly provides edible landscaping because according to Dr. Jerry M. Parsons, of Texas A&M University, the tempting red pommes of the pyracantha plant are entirely edible

Read more at Suite101: Pyracantha Berry Jelly Recipe: Edible Landscaping with Pyracantha Coccinea, Scarlet Firethorn | Suite101.com http://suite101.com/article/pyracantha-berry-jelly-recipe-a168127#ixzz1xykuf85A

He says, “if you have a surplus of pyracantha berries this fall and would just as soon the birds did not rob you of them, you might enjoy the taste of pyracantha jelly. It is quite tasty, much like apple jelly in appearance and flavor,” but even prettier and with a bright little tang.
    Pyracantha Jelly Recipe[/H3] Yields approximately 10 half-pints of jelly
    Ingredients:
    • 2 quarts pyracantha pommes
    • 6 cups water (or enough to cover berries)
    • 7 cups sugar
    • 4 tablespoons lemon juice
    • 1 box powdered fruit pectin, such as Sure-Jell
    • 5 tablespoons white vinegar
    Instructions:
    1. Pick pyracantha pommes (berries) in the late fall when they are a very deep red. Plants bear the most flavorful and juice yielding berries at this time of year.
    2. Wash them well and remove any leaves and stems.
    3. Place pyracantha berries and water in a large pot and bring up to a rolling boil.
    4. Reduce heat and allow berries to continue cooking until they have popped open; approximately 20 minutes. Much of the berries#%92 color will have transferred from the berry hulls to the stock.
    5. Drain contents through a colander into another container, pressing berries with the back of a spoon to release additional juice.
    6. Strain the juice once more through a damp jelly bag or several layers of cheese cloth to remove any remaining small pieces of berry hulls or other debris. This is the juice that will be used for the jelly stock.
    7. Place the juice (which will have reduced to about 3 or 4 cups), sugar and lemon juice in a stock pot and bring it up to a boil.
    8. Stir in the powdered fruit pectin and vinegar.
    9. Bring this up to a rolling boil; cooking and stirring for two minutes.
    10. Remove from heat and immediately ladle into sterilized half-pint canning jars, leaving about ½” head space.
    11. Cap the canning jars and make sure they have properly sealed before storing in the pantry. Note: Any jars that do not properly seal must be stored under refrigeration.
    [/BLOCKQUOTE] So much for being poisonous.
  • This is what I found:

Yes, Firethorn (pyracantha bush) can be toxic to horses. The berries and leaves (dried) are toxic and cause colic. Specifically they results in mucosa damage and diarrhea. This predisposes the horse to bacterial toxin invasion of the systemic circulation.
  • That is CRAZY there's a jelly recipe!! Chatter's in for some good PBJ's!! [':)']
  • Okay, I believe you Dana.  Where did you get the information?  There's some growing in my friend's pasture and before I tell her anything, I'd better be backed up with info.  As it is, my info currently says the opposite.  So, when she asks, "where did you hear/read this," I will be able to give her an intelligent answer (that should shock her[';)'][':D']).
  • LOL!!
  • ?????? Whats growing in who's pasture????
  • OOps, eh, heh, heh!  

A: open mouth
    B: insert foot to the fullest!

LOL, not your pasture, Joyce.   It's on one side of Mary's back paddock.  Besides, if your horses have the moxie not to eat Manzanita berries, they won't mess with Pyracantha (famous last words, right?).  As to Mary's place, I'm amazed she has anything left alive.  There's so much toxic stuff growing around there...   But then, none of her ponies or the sheep seem to have ever had an issue with it all.  Some people just seem to be protected by more luck than others I guess.
  • It never ceases to amaze me the things that people can eat that dogs and/or horses cannot, and vice versa. If you ever go onto a website that tells about what all is toxic to horses, you'll want to put them in a padded stall and dig through every bite of their hay. *sigh*
  • Yeah!! Whew!! Though I know there are a few toxic plants in my pasture. The star thistle has pretty much taken over in most pastures in this area. Tried to kill it off but lost the battle. It Tastes bad though and with the springs watering the grass and clover in the back there is too much good stuff to eat to bother with it. The only pastures around here that don't have star thistle have goats in them!!
  • I really like the way the Pyracanthas looks - it is so beautifully and richly red that you just want it to be a piece of decoration in your home! I would love to get these flowers delivered via **Link Removed** to my home
  • [8|]
  • I found the information when I looked up pyracantha and horses.  I also asked my local nursery lady and she has a list of toxic plants.  She said anything with white sap is toxic to horses.