Quick Post

Threw a shoe

Threw a shoe
  • I'm out of my element here. We've never had a horse with shoes until recently. We put front shoes on Moki to prevent further splitting while being ridden on pavement for parades. Well, we got A LOT of rain yesterday and I'm sure somewhere in the mud we'd find a shoe. My concern is that the farrier can't get here until Friday evening. My questions are:
    1) Is it better to wait until Friday to have the other shoe removed or should I use the rasp and try to remove it myself? (Farrier explained how to do it over the phone.)
    2) If its better to leave it, is it okay to ride or will he be unbalanced? - L has a show Saturday morning...
    3) Am I over thinking this?

Thanks for any help!

• You might be able to use a rasp to file off the clinches but removing the shoe still may not be easy without a set of pullers.

If you don't plan on riding the horse should be ok, although maybe not the most comfortable.
  • deleted - duplicate message
  • You are over thinking this.     If you are not doing much riding between now and friday. Leave the horse alone and wait for the farrier.  He is probab;y better off with one shoe gone than having a novice trying to remove the other shoe.
  • Thanks you two![':)'] Yeah, the novice pulling off the shoe was the part that was scaring me.
  • Not too long ago I took a lesson on a horse that had thrown one of his fronts.  The fences weren't high but we did LOTS of jumping.  The arena was very soft.  He did okay but he tended to prefer the lead with the shoe.