Quick Post

A Chunk Tooken Out Of My Horse's Hoof.

A Chunk Tooken Out Of My Horse's Hoof.
  • My gelding has a chunk tooken out of his hoof, before it was just a crack that we were going to get filed right away, but i checked this morning and now there is a big chunk missing! It is on his front left hoof and is on the side. It is right at the "beginning" of his hoof. The size of it is around the size of my pinky finger. I am worried about it, what should I do about it?
    I checked all of his hooves and seen that they are starting to get little cracks in them. We did trim him not that long ago, so i have no idea why it is happening so soon. We are going to get his hooves trimmed but I don't know what to do about the peice missing. I tryed to call my farrier but he never answered so I don't know what to do. Should I be worried? Do you think he could become lame?
    Oh and also I am 14 so my pinky isn't that big.
    and also.. Do you think I could still ride him? I never did yet today, but I was hoping to, but I don't know if i should.
    And sorry I don't have any pics :( I know that would have helped a lot. Sorry.

Thanks.
  • Ok  I can give you some help here

my perchron x Twh  had this problem when I first got him.  He had a crack almost to the
    corneat band.  but No missing hoof.

what happens alot of time is hoofs crack because sometimes they have not been trimmed and are long.    Filing a notch across the top of the crack  may or may not work.

the only good way to fix this is to have shoes put on to keep the hoof from spreading
    when impacting the ground  (ex.  take your fingers and put your spread finger tips
    on a table  then put your weight on your hand.  this pressure makes your finger tips
    spread more.)  same thing happen with the hoof.

My vet and farrier both said to trim the hoofs and then put shoes with clips on him
    to hold the hoof from spreading.   Also use a hoof conditioner.   NOT a sealer.

also using the brush to rub this onto the corenet band area to help stimulate growth
    of the hoof.   normally it takes 1 yr to grow a hoof from the corenet band to the edge
    of the hoof in most horses.

as far as riding and so forth,  ask the farrier.   I would assume it would be ok to ride
    but the missing part of the hoof may determine this. 

• Wow! That was a lot of help, thank you! ':)'
    I will have to talk to my parents about the shoeing since he doesn't have any shoes on at the moment. We also usaully don't put shoes on our horses unless they are really needed. And it does sound like it is needed.
    Thank you.
  • I don't know what farriers charge in your area.

here when the farrier put shoes on the first time it was $40  (both fronts for moosie)
    but that was a trim of all 4 hoofs and 2 front shoes.

then a reset the next trim was $30.  ( trim all 4 and reattach front shoes)

a normal trim was $20.  (all 4 hoofs)

after the crack was taken care of the front shoes stayed off.   Normally you do not
    need shoes if the horse is not ridden on rocky ground or on roads.

or you are riding a diseplines (sp) that requires shoes.   Like Saddle Seat.
  • Well I don't know what it costs in my area for shoeing since I never had any shoeing on my horses before. But the cost of trimming for me is $30.
  • I'm not sure what part of the country you are in but I like to throw a cup of black oil sunflower seeds in with their feed and it helps with their feet and coat. Some people say it makes their feet too hard.  My horse therapist suggests painting on some olive oil and even used motor oil if that's all you have.
    How long ago were they trimmed?  And where is the chunk missing?  Up where the leg and hoof meet?  Or back around by the heel?  It's possible your horse had an abscess, which is a pocket of infection probably caused by a bruise or some kind of injury that works it's way to the surface and breaks through.  It's usually painful as it's working its way out but, once it's drained/broken through and begins to heal it's okay to ride if you don't notice any discomfort but you have to really know what you're looking for.  I hope you have someone who can help you.  Probably the person who trims will know.  
  • It is tooken out by the toe of his hoof, but my farrier called me and said that he is going to come to my house tomorrow and use a rasp on it. But first he is going to look at it to see if he needs shoes.
    and thanks for the advice in the top paragragh. : )
    And also i know that he is't in pain because he isn't limping or anything, all i know is that he had a crack in his hoof and it got worse and i am guessing he hit it on something, or something and broke the peice off.
  • I'm glad your farrier is coming out!  AND I'm glad your horse isn't in pain.  Always better to be safe than sorry.  I have a horse with a real bad hoof problem right now.  Your horse is lucky to have a good mom! [':)']
  • Haha yeah i am glad he isn't in pain either.
    I also put some oil on his hooves to add some mosture into his hoof, since the reason why they are cracking is because they are really dry, and the hot and dry weather isn't helping.
    My farrier said that he is going to give all of his hooves a trim, but he just called me and said that he will be coming later in the evening, which i am not too happy about, but at least we are getting them done. And that I put some oil on them so hopefully that will help a bit.

• guess what...we got his hooves rasped, but he also got a little trim. Now his hooves are pretty much back to normal, but there still is a little crack in them but my farrier made a line with the rasp right above it so that the crack can't go any farther.
    So yeah the reason why was the hot and dry weather, so not i am going to take EXTRA care of his hooves, not saying that i never did before. But now i am going to put some used oil on his hooves, it is almost the same as anything that you would by from a store, it gives mosture into the hoof, which is what he needs.
    Also I checked my little filly's hoof and i see she has a crack in it too, but her hooves were just trimmed last week. So I am going to be doing the same with my filly also.

But Thanks Everyone For Giving Me Some Help And Advice! ':D' 
    it helped a lot!