Quick Post

Hoof Cracks

Hoof Cracks
  • Hello, I've just recently gotten two horses, the first time the farrier came he told me that my Morgan mare Brown Sugar has weak hoof walls, he said it was fine just to keep an eye on it. This is my first time owning horses even though i have loved them all my life, so when i saw that one of her hoofs had a big hoof chip off of her hoof, i became worried. it doesn't seem to bother her though. but then i noticed while cleaning her hoof the frog ( or fog i allways get so confuzzled ;) ) had a wierd thing going on it looked like she had like a double layer of it..... like she chipped that too. is this normal and how do i fix it, also do you think supplements or a hoof oil would help this? another note it is winter here so i don't know if this is a factor.....
  • Sounds like your horse was shedding it's frog.  This is completely normal and does not require you to do a thing ':)'  Horses shed their frog 2x a year, you sometimes will see that they get raggy or so but do not pull on them as you can tear the fresh new layer underneath which will make your horse upset and hurt him.  

As for the chipped hoof...lots of horses get chips in there hooves, have your horse done regularly 6-8 weeks and since spring is coming they are going to grow like crazy.  Keep good care of your pasture since this is what your horse is walking around on, pick up stones and objects that could chip them if hit with the hoof...hope this help

• I'm gonna faint.  A nice farrier!  How wonderful! [':)']
  • We have a horse that had very bad hooves as well. He was lucky to keep shoes on for a month and the shoes were destroying his hooves. We made the decision to remove his shoes. This was a LONG PAINFUL process as his was 16 and had shoes on since he was 1.

Our vet recommended giving him flax seed meal, nothing fancy, just plain ole flax seed meal. It has to be MEAL, not the plain seeds. The most cost effective way of getting it is from here,http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/flaxseedmeal50lb.aspx. It is a 50lb bag and you have to keep it refrigerated which may be a problem for you. One bag would last you one year! We have 6 horses and they all get a couple ounces a day for dinner. It is also good for their hair. Here is some info on it:http://www.horsetech.com/flax-benefits.htm

Keeping moisture in their hooves is also important. Since we are having a wet winter that is not a problem for us as they are always standing in nice moist (and cold) mud!!  Our farrier, and we have a nice one as well, recommends putting pine tar on their hooves for moisture. Again, just plain ole pine tar. He claims a lot of the hoof dressings have a bunch of crap that is worthless and a waste of money. Last summer I had a bottle of baby oil in my tack box which I used on my horse, real easy to squirt and rub in.

The end of the story is, the horse with bad hooves now has very strong hooves. He still has issues walking in rocky areas, but it is all in his head! 
  • and here is the kicker....a lady smith   ':)' 
    I graduated from Michigan state univ with a BS in equine and graduated from oklahoma farriers college...  I have dedicated my LIFE to horses
  • [quote=RoyaleFarmFarrier]
    and here is the kicker....a lady smith   ':)'   

I peeked at your profile so I figured that out!  There are a couple more that used to show up every now and then (lady smiths) [':)']  One other one was really nice.  Anyway it's really nice having you here!!